U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 AM

2,051 posts, read 2,370,207 times

Advertisements

I am really upset. I had a beautiful Silestone countertop installed a little over a year ago. I selected an "eased edge", which is basically a squared-off edge, very contemporary. I have a rectangular undermount sink that is flush with the sink cut-out. My understanding is that quartz is as hard as granite, without the maintenance of sealing and risks of staining. I bought it at Home Depot and had it installed by one of their sub-contractors. Silestone comes with a 15-year warranty.

A month or so ago, I noticed a chip on the inside edge of the counter -- right about in the middle of the sink. I had no idea what could have caused this, as I live alone, rarely cook, and use Corell dishes and plastic glasses. I did not recall dropping anything on the counter. Now I see there is another tiny chip near the first chip. Did some googling, and come to find out, chipping on Silestone eased edges is very common. Had I known of this risk, I never would have spent $$$$ on this counter. Who on earth wants to see chipped edges along their sink? BTW, I had an undermount sink with a granite counter in a different home for five years with NO chips.

Home Depot, of course, says the warranty does not cover chips. The warranty actually says "chips due to customer abuse". What do they consider abuse -- using the sink, washing a pot now and then? I am furious. I did convince HD to have the installer come out and look at it. It probably can be repaired, but what then -- I'll have to put a towel over it to avoid future chips? That's great. I can't have a new counter installed without (I assume) damaging my glass-tile backsplash.

Anyway, just a heads-up for anyone considering quartz. I do not think it's just a Silestone issue. They sure don't tell you about this risk when they're taking your money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
Thats why one should always take the time to read the fine print in any warranty.
Sorry this happened to you.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 PM

5,262 posts, read 8,247,028 times
I have granite with an under mount sink. I noticed a few small chips around the sink. I was told that an eased edge chips easy so we went with a beveled edge however the around the sink is eased. A week ago I was washing a large glass dish and it slipped out my hand. It banged against the counter and made a chip. I love the look of my counters but didn't realize they chipped so easy. I guess the quartz isn't much better. Makes me wonder what they will look like 5 yrs from now. Anyway, sorry about your chips. I understand your disappointment especially if you don't cook that often.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,336,921 times
Not sure, but we have quartz (Cambria) for 6 years now and not a chip anywhere. We use pots, pans, etc daily so not sure if its a manufacturer thing or we have just been lucky.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have granite with an under mount sink. I noticed a few small chips around the sink. I was told that an eased edge chips easy so we went with a beveled edge however the around the sink is eased. A week ago I was washing a large glass dish and it slipped out my hand. It banged against the counter and made a chip. I love the look of my counters but didn't realize they chipped so easy. I guess the quartz isn't much better. Makes me wonder what they will look like 5 yrs from now. Anyway, sorry about your chips. I understand your disappointment especially if you don't cook that often.
Exactly -- if mine look this way after a year, it doesn't bode well for long-term use. I don't even know what kind of edge you could get around the sink, other than eased. Is your sink flush-mount with the eased edge? My last house where I installed granite, the sink was undermount but had a small lip all the way around it -- I wonder if that protected the granite edge. This new quartz counter is flush with the sink. Anyway, now I'm going to drape a dishcloth along the sink edge. What a pain.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 AM

21,720 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Default Honestly could have gotten better advice from a real PROFESSIONAL!

I was skeptical about price differences a long time ago and I found out the hard way (fortunately in a lower priced home that I could afford replacing counters TWICE...) that low information retailers won't tell you the stuff that professionals will. One BIG reason that there are price differences for different kinds of granite is that some granite is more fragile and other kinds are more suitable to heavier use. The pro that will tell you "technically I can put any edge on any slab and under-mount sinks on any countertop but there are some combinations that will not look good in a year or so" is the kind of pro that I now go back to for repeat business!

The men and women that take the time to explain to customers how the grain structure of different stone slabs make some unsuitable choices might not "move as much product" than the bozos that work out of the big orange box but when it comes to MY time and MY money there is no contest.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Exactly -- if mine look this way after a year, it doesn't bode well for long-term use. I don't even know what kind of edge you could get around the sink, other than eased. Is your sink flush-mount with the eased edge? My last house where I installed granite, the sink was undermount but had a small lip all the way around it -- I wonder if that protected the granite edge. This new quartz counter is flush with the sink. Anyway, now I'm going to drape a dishcloth along the sink edge. What a pain.
My sink is an undermount. I dont know of any other edge around a sink either. I originally wanted a farm sink but my husband didn't like the idea. He now says that might have been a good option. My granite is light in color and you cant see the chip. Someday, one might. I dunno. I belong to another forum and see a lot of thread of people asking about chips so I am assuming its a common issue. I think the selling feature is that these types of counters will last forever. Maybe they will but they wont be pretty.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 AM

The only thing I can say is, I requested "no seam" (which would have been in the middle of the sink) -- I wonder if the quartz is weaker in that area because there is no seam. The chips are right in the middle, where the seam would have been. I never had chips in my old granite counter, which did have a seam in the middle of the sink (as well as the lip around the sink edge, as mentioned above). I don't know, just wondering whether I should have allowed the seam. Oh well....I'll see what the installer says when they come out this week.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,725,227 times
I don't know much about stone counter installation, but just based on other types of construction, I can't imagine a "chip" would have anything to do with a seam. Now, a crack I could potentially see, but a chip doesn't seem like it would have any real relation to a seam.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The only thing I can say is, I requested "no seam" (which would have been in the middle of the sink) -- I wonder if the quartz is weaker in that area because there is no seam. The chips are right in the middle, where the seam would have been. I never had chips in my old granite counter, which did have a seam in the middle of the sink (as well as the lip around the sink edge, as mentioned above). I don't know, just wondering whether I should have allowed the seam. Oh well....I'll see what the installer says when they come out this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I don't know much about stone counter installation, but just based on other types of construction, I can't imagine a "chip" would have anything to do with a seam. Now, a crack I could potentially see, but a chip doesn't seem like it would have any real relation to a seam.
^^^^I would think a seam in that spot would be a bad idea. I didn't realize a seam would ever be put by a sink until I looked at other people's granite installs. My installer never mentioned anything like that. We do have a seam but it is well past the sink and not having issues with it. In my case, I just think items being banged against the sink edge is the problem. Kind of weird because its not like Im washing pots and pans with major gusto. I guess if mine gets bad enough, then I will replace the sink at some point with one that has a lip. Report back on what your installer says, Im curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating