Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	placement.png
Views:	1827
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	102562

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	3589
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	102563

Name:	home-design.jpg
Views:	6775
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	102564

Hoping to get some ideas for our living room. We just moved into a condo and in desperate need of design ideas for the living room space. I am really confused what to do.
There is a big patio door next to the chair, which is the only source of light in the room.
Attaching floorplan, pictures for my furnitire. Please suggest some ideas for the following points:
1. At store, the fabric on the chair and ottoman was matching perfectly with the sofa. Now I'm not sure, if its matching and looking good. Probably because of the light. Please suggest some ways to make it look like that they belong together.
2. Also, suggest the placement of the lights in the room.
3. Also, I want to buy a slip cover for my reckliner. Dont want to dispose it off. Please suggest which color slipcover to go for.
4. Also , suggest How I should place my furniture. I'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I think the chair/ottoman goes with the couch fine. It's the rug that is throwing it off. Two different styles and color combinations. Get rid of one or the other. I vote for the Chair/ottoman. It is kind of big for the room. Get a chair that is rounder and solid color if you keep the rug.

Slipcover match one of the colors in the rug. They are really bad to sit on, good luck.

Where is the dining furniture?

I would want to view the fireplace and set the TV in the cubby next to it with shelfs going all the way up.

There should be enough room to get to the patio door but it doesn't have to be totally free of furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help designing my Living Room-lr.png  

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I think you have too many large pieces in your room. I don't think the chair and ottoman go all that well with the sofa. I'd take the chair back if I could. The carpet is colorful, but with so many colors in it, you need to stick with neutrals for the furniture. I do like your sofa. Arrange your seating around the fireplace. The fireplace is your focal point. So, the seating should be around it, and should "look" to it. Once you arrange the seating, the rest will fall into place.

Seating should have tables around it, and you should be able to have a comfortable conversation with a person sitting in the next seat.

If you can, take back the chair and ottoman, and find another place for the recliner. Add another, neutral recliner type chair that is fashionable. Or keep the white chair. But in that case, you might want to slipcover it.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I totally agree that it would be best if you moved the TV to the indent to the right of the fireplace.

The chair and ottoman work well with the sofa. The white recliner is the odd man out.

The rug, while pretty, doesn't make sense with any of the furniture. Move it to the bedroom and buy another rug for the living room.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
I also agree about moving the TV next to the fireplace.

If you remove the rug, the chair, ottoman and recliner work okay together. The rug you use in the room should pull it all together. However, this one does not do that at all - quite the opposite. I would choose something in earth tones - colors that will work with all pieces of furniture, as well as the painting over the fireplace. I would keep any patterns in the rug very small/minimal. You already have patterns in the chair and painting, so whatever you put on the floor should complement it, not compete with it.

As far as a color for your slipcover, I would choose a solid color that is in the pattern of the chair fabric, but not burgundy. That way, the chair will tie all three pieces together.

For furniture placement, I would move the TV/entertainment over to the side of the fireplace, put the sofa on the wall opposite of the fireplace, and add a side table with a lamp next to it. The chairs can go on the sides. Ideally, I would have either the chair or recliner, but not both. (Too much furniture will make a room smaller.) I would put the chair/ottoman on the wall near the patio door. If you have to keep the recliner in the room, I would put it on the other wall.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The sofa and chair with ottoman work well together. The recliner I agree is the odd man out. The rolled arms of the sofa and chair with ottoman compliment each other, so do the colors. I like the mix of materials as long as they have some sort of relationship and your sofa and chair do. I also agree the rug doesnt go. I would probably go for a solid colored rug to make the furniture pop.

Congrats on your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating