Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Perhaps teal throw pillows (plus a seat cushion for your desk chair) would spiff up your room inexpensively, without the color overwhelming you. A mostly-teal throw rug beside your bed would add a nice touch, too.

I agree that live plants would be nice, and green foliage would also go well with your neutral color scheme. Perhaps short curtains - to window ledge level - with plants in attractive glazed pots just below your window would help provide a focus. This is a good time to buy large potted plants as the patio season is over and nurseries are moving their plants out to make room for Christmas items.

In addition to color, consider the size and texture of whatever you introduce to your room. Go to the library and check out some decorating books and magazines for inspiration and free ideas. What are your hobbies? Include them in your decorating.

Older furniture is usually MUCH better constructed than anything available at the trendy modern furniture chains now so much in vogue, and often is less costly to boot. Older pieces are solid wood, sturdy, usually better designed, and much, much better investments. Look for good, solid, functional furniture at auction, yard sales, antique malls, used furniture stores, and thrift shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Please do your self a favor. Go to the local dollar store and buy a brown plastic table cloth and also buy 1 in a color that you think you could live with. Now take the brown table cloth and divide into two halves and hang them over a piece of string that yo have rigged across the top of your windows and "pleat" them as if they were hanging. Step back and see what it does for the room, now repeat with the color of your choosing and see if you can get a sense of how "color" can breathe life into a room. If you are afraid of color go with the table cloth color that is closest to your comfort zone. I am suggesting a table cloth since they are very cheap but you can also do the same with fabric or curtains.

The room has some nice natural light and all it needs is a splash of color and it will feel very different, that I can promise you.
She's not afraid of color - she just doesn't care for it. I can understand that, and she can have quite a nice room without having to add too much color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePossumm View Post
I'm NOT a color person! I like a little bit of color, maybe a few teal picture frames, but I am a very mellow person, and I need a space to study for college classes in. I would probably not put teal on the walls or anything, but I will be getting some curtains (brown), I decided to move my desk over toward the 2nd small closet and get a comfy chair and some floating shelves for books and hang them up, and I'll get some wall art! I want my room to feel comfy and organic, so I think this plan will work out for me. Thank you for all the input!!
It all sounds great! I'd love to see some photos when you're done!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You don't have to be a color person. Grey is a color. Black is a color. The flooring already provides enough white so add the grey and black to the room. You could buy a grey duvet for your comforter. It would go with the pillows you already have. Eventually you could buy some curtains that compliment the duvet. It will look awesome!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
I love black and white. I have a couple ideas that could be done quickly and inexpensively. find at second hand store, sand and paint or buy at Ikea.

Put up some b/w curtains, and buy an extra pair to make some pillows to match. Trim them in black.

Put a bench at the end of the bed.

Put a grey modern rug under the bed

Put a bench with storage under the windows with a bookcase on each side. Don't know the size of your room but bookcases come in different widths so choose accordingly. Your window bench for reading

Get a headboard or make one, or just out line one on the wall with black tape.
Group b/w framed artwork over the bed, or one large artwork

Like your bedspread, put some pillows to match curtains on it, plus one solid black pillow, put them on the window bench at night

Put a desk with a large black frame mirror over it

Two nightstands

Get rid of the tiny makeup stand and mirror, get black one and chair, or paint out the white one you have

HAVE FUN!
Attached Thumbnails
How could I spiff up my room?-screen-shot-2012-10-23-9.40.57   How could I spiff up my room?-screen-shot-2012-10-23-9.45.57  

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I love black and white. I have a couple ideas that could be done quickly and inexpensively. find at second hand store, sand and paint or buy at Ikea.

Put up some b/w curtains, and buy an extra pair to make some pillows to match. Trim them in black.

Put a bench at the end of the bed.

Put a grey modern rug under the bed

Put a bench with storage under the windows with a bookcase on each side. Don't know the size of your room but bookcases come in different widths so choose accordingly. Your window bench for reading

Get a headboard or make one, or just out line one on the wall with black tape.
Group b/w framed artwork over the bed, or one large artwork

Like your bedspread, put some pillows to match curtains on it, plus one solid black pillow, put them on the window bench at night

Put a desk with a large black frame mirror over it

Two nightstands

Get rid of the tiny makeup stand and mirror, get black one and chair, or paint out the white one you have

HAVE FUN!

I love the idea of having a window seat!!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Good, go for it. Pretty easy with a couple bookcases and bench in between.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Kayekaye has some great ideas. I really love the idea of black & white curtains. Here are a couple of nice ones:

Leaf Garland Curtains

Curtains and Drapes - Black Curtains | White Curtains

You can even make them yourself, even if you don't sew. Google "DIY curtains no sew" for lots of ideas and instructions.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks Claire, nice curtains.

AwesomePossumm, if you get any work done on the room, resurrect the thread and post some pictures. Would love to see what you finally decide on.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I'd focus on what dissatisfies you about the room. To me it looks like the desk/makeup piece and the nightstand are too small. You need a nightstand on either side of your bed, I think, and a headboard. But for me, the biggest problem is the makeup table which doesn't even have a mirror. And it is too small for study. Try to get a decent sized desk for study, and/or a better setup for your makeup. Think about what you are missing in the room now, and try to figure out how to get it.

You can find things at garage sales, or thrift stores, but you have to look. A can of spray paint can work wonders on old pieces. There are tons of ideas online for you to access.

Start with the thing you really need in the room that you don't have.

And I agree, it would be good to get some curtains up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating