Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

A television is supposed to be mounted at eye level. Above the mantel is not eye level. I never understood why someone would mount a tv above the fireplace, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,900 times
Here's your solution:

Hidden Vision | Hidden TV Wall Mount Lifts | Home

All ya gotta decide is what picture to use. (and wether you want to spend as much on this as a new tv).

Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't get that?

My BIL and FIL have these huuuuge TV's over the fireplace, they are so big that they are actually wider than the FP. It actually hurts my eyes to watch.

The first house my BIL had a smaller TV over the FP, it looked proportioned as it was not as wide and there were sconces on either side, it looked pretty nice. But now this house, oh lordy, talk about...look at me, I have the biggest TV... LOL

I think it the room is very large and the couches are furthere away it can work. but a regular `15 x 22 living room, is way too small to have a TV way in the air.

just my opinion, which is basically worthless.

I don't think your opinion is "worthless" at all. I agree.

A fireplace is a focal point. A TV is an appliance. I also hate craning my neck. Just a bad look all around.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
I would put the TV in the corner, to the left of the fireplace, angled to face the room.....on a slim table or cabinet that would put it just above eye level.

I would put the couch along the wall opposite the windows, the chair at an angle to the couch, with it's back left corner towards the kitchen.

That way, the glare from the windows wouldn't interfere with the TV. When you are not watching TV, you could also enjoy the view out of the windows and the fireplace. Anyone working in the kitchen could also see the TV glare free.

Arrange the rest of the furniture accordingly.

I am not fond of furniture placed in such a way that my back is to a nice, large window like that......I like to be able to comfortably gaze out of windows.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I would put the TV in the corner, to the left of the fireplace, angled to face the room.....on a slim table or cabinet that would put it just above eye level.

I would put the couch along the wall opposite the windows, the chair at an angle to the couch, with it's back left corner towards the kitchen.

That way, the glare from the windows wouldn't interfere with the TV. When you are not watching TV, you could also enjoy the view out of the windows and the fireplace. Anyone working in the kitchen could also see the TV glare free.

Arrange the rest of the furniture accordingly.

I am not fond of furniture placed in such a way that my back is to a nice, large window like that......I like to be able to comfortably gaze out of windows.

that, I am in total agreement with. nothing better than laying on the couch being able to see out the window!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think your opinion is "worthless" at all. I agree.

A fireplace is a focal point. A TV is an appliance. I also hate craning my neck. Just a bad look all around.

Thank you.

Your right, a TV is an appliance, not really a focal point.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
What I would do is buy and interesting shelving system for the interior wall...You could look and find something in wood like you have as accents already...And , put your TV behind a sliding cabinet....that way when it is TV time your good to go. Just put your seating on a more diagonal rather than the straight "L" like you have it.
Another thing that I have seen recently in TV screen that turn into art work when not being used.
I did a search, here are several inks TV Screen into art work - Yahoo! Search Results
Love your room, very tasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating