Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,899,312 times

Advertisements

So I have been furnishing my house for the last 6 months but now the missus says I went out of control on filling our garage with clutter that never made it anywhere in the house and has cut me off from spending another penny on it until 2013. I was saving the living room for last being she and I were never able to agree on a vision for it (or even what we will use it for). Basically it is still empty except for a large floor rug, 2 floor lamps, and a buffet that wouldn't fit in the dining room. My sister and brother-in-law are visiting from California soon and I don't want to invite them into an empty living room, so basically I would like to do something with what I have, which is various less than awesome furniture stashed in the garage. Some of it I actually really like but they don't fit together and are all pretty much just weird conversation or accent pieces, no real living room furniture like a couch or arm chairs or anything. I tried to put the pool table there and turn it into a game room but the missus said no way. What am I to do? Can a living room space be made comfortable without any traditional furniture in it?

Thanks for any Ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM

22,486 posts, read 47,497,235 times
Why not sell some of that clutter and weird conversation/accent pieces and get some seating your wife likes?

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why not sell some of that clutter and weird conversation/accent pieces and get some seating your wife likes?
That's just too logical Pitt Chick. Actually my wife did try to sell one of them on craigslist once but I was able to sniff out the plot and convince her it was a one-of-a-kind. I'd like to try and do something unique with the livingroom for the party with my sister and keep all of my treasures (i know ill find the perfect use for them eventually) Then we can continue the battle of wills to furnish it properly in 2013 when I can buy something nice.

I was thinking of perhaps making it be kind of like a picture or art gallery, with pictures all along the walls and some end tables with unique statuettes and stuff arranged throughout. Then some dining-room chair type of seating near the end tables. All of those things I have to work with.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM

22,486 posts, read 47,497,235 times
Sad that she is not allowed to have anything she likes....

Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,013,368 times
Am I sensing some hoarder behavior?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM

i don't have enough cats to be a hoarder.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,906,804 times
You don't need cats. All you need is too much stuff and an unwillingness to get rid of any of it.

There is no purpose in filling up your garage with a bunch of mismatched stuff that can't fit into your house appropriately.

Pick your favorite pieces. Sell the rest. If you can't do that, you're a hoarder or a soon-to-be hoarder.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't need cats. All you need is too much stuff and an unwillingness to get rid of any of it.

There is no purpose in filling up your garage with a bunch of mismatched stuff that can't fit into your house appropriately.

Pick your favorite pieces. Sell the rest. If you can't do that, you're a hoarder or a soon-to-be hoarder.

It's my arsenal Hopes. I can't design rooms or change up something without being able to whip out something from my arsenal; without having a stock of 'material' to draw from. I don't want my home decoration to be static but rather to always be changing and growing. But I do sell stuff, i'm not a horder! I'm pretty sure cats are a symptom of hording.

Anyways here is a picture of the room (before it had a floor) http://s10.postimage.org/64aqwag13/livingroom.jpg

and an example of the eclectic style that I like

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/d...iving-room.jpg

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/d...ining-room.jpg

Last edited by HiFi; 11-02-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,906,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I'm pretty sure cats are a symptom of hording.
Many horders don't own a single cat.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,085,180 times
Ask your wife how she wants to entertain your out of town guests when they visit. I don't understand how you can amass "pieces" which don't fit your house, and she issues ultimatums about how the house should be furnished. It sounds as if you guys are working at cross purposes.

Not sure what real function an art gallery in the living room would serve. Usually you "live" in the living room. You would need places to sit, a TV and perhaps a media center, small tables for holding lamps and as places to put things you are using while you are sitting. If you want to mainly watch TV in there, then you design the room with that in mind. If you want to listen to music, then you design the room accordingly. If you want to have parties there, then--well you get the idea.

The room is for you, for your comfort and use. There are probably things in the garage that would work well in the room, but it sounds like there are things that should be disposed of. If you can't use things, sell or donate. And really, you should be able to get your cars in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating