Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Of course I'll let you guess. I write about home improvement and DIY for a living. People pay me for my home improvement gospel. I also have a published book on the subject.
Do you write in an inn in Vermont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Of course I'll let you guess. I see you're new so you don't really know me. I'm glad you joined us all. Pull up a chair and read on because I'm so much more then a Contractor. I don't even like that word. In the Consumers eyes it's a filthy dirty word. Almost as low as a Politician or a Used Car Salesman.

I tell the truth my friend, even if it hurts. I also tell both sides. I speak only facts but if I add my opinion on something, I say it's my opinion. I write about home improvement and DIY for a living. People pay me for my home improvement gospel. I also have a published book on the subject. So yea.....I have my finger on the pulse of the subject very well.

Thanks for your input and have a fantastic day!
Just giving you a hard time desert(in a friendly way).

Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Just giving you a hard time desert(in a friendly way).
I don't mind but I didn't understand the comment. Hey that's ok. Many give me a hard time. It's all fun.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

256 posts, read 1,390,473 times
I would add that I have seen many tile jobs done by a DIY, they say it is the first job they have ever done, and the work is certainly acceptable to my eye. Some of those jobs are now 20 years old and they are as solid as any professional job.

I really believe it is one of the most doable of all DIY jobs. It is labor intensive because tile is heavy and you spend a lot of time wiping off grout, but it is a long way from brain surgery.

Also, I have seen a number of tile jobs, done by "professionals", that have major problems.

Purplesky, there is a tile forum on the net. There are dozens of tile EXPERTS there and they will happily walk you through the entire project.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
Desert sun 41
I have been shopping at homedepot for ofer 14 years
And you are right the model has changed.....it stinks that it changed
Because you almost never find good people to help you in a plumbing ,electrical etc
I like shopping there ....but when I need help..... I go to a small hardware store that
I pay more for a part.... But the knowledge to install it is a hell of a lot better
If you are reading this and are upset..... I am sorry..... There are good people who work
At Home Depot also, but are far a few apart..... Be honest with yourself..... Look around the store
Go shop there.... Ask a question...... And you know that I am being truthful .

Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I think the classes are great. Weather you want to tackle the job or not it at least informs you about the process and what the job entails so when/if you hire a contractor you aren't just nodding along with his explanation.
I don't have a problem with DIY. I was a contractor and if someone DIY that's fine with me. I had a few DIY who called and I had to tear it out and start over. Contrary to popular belief I didn't charge more, I didn't bad mouth the work. I simply tore it out and installed new got paid job done.

Doing wall or floor tile isn't hard. Its tedious back breaking work and you better know how to measure and start the tile setting. If you go off your lines and spacing its a pita to start over. If you have to go buy all the other material and tools to do the job add in your labor time you probably won't be saving as much as you think. And the potential of a injury will keep you from going to work yourself. I've seen both good and bad DIY installs. And a few bad contractor installs. ( those are usually from guys who think they can do it because they saw a tile guy setting tile on a job and hell it looks easy. I'll give it a go on this guys money)

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We are pretty handy, but before we tackle any DIY project we avail ourselves of any and all info available before we start. Go to the class, buy a how-to book on tiling, and watch the videos available on line.
Go through the whole process in your mind before you start, and never, ever cut corners on preparing the surface before you tile anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating