Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times

Advertisements

Is there a secret to this?

I always see these fabulously styled beds in magazines, model homes, department stores, etc. They're loaded with gorgeous throw pillows and shams, but every time I try and re-create the look (even if I buy the exact same pillows as displayed on the model bed), it never quite looks right.

Am I doing something wrong? A friend suggested that I need to get bigger pillows to stuff inside the shams (i.e., if the sham is 24" sq, get a 26" sq pillow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
There are some super fluffy pillows. If you get a high quality down, you can fluff them super huge. You have to stand up all of the pillows for it to look right. Resting them slightly sideways doesn't achieve a quality look. Good quality shams make a difference too because they can hold their shape even if the pillows don't.

But throw pillows are kind of disgusting when you consider where people throw them to make room to sleep. I personally don't want to put anything that's been on my floor onto my bed, especially near the pillows I use for sleeping. The floor is the dirtiest part of a house with the most germs. That's where airborne germs settle. That's where shoes track in animal excrement. For people with dust allergies, floors have the most dust. Unless you have space for many pillows to be kept up off of the floor, I'd just pass on the throw pillows on the bed look.

If you still insist, I found this site that has great pictures that are more realistic about the end result.

HomeGoods | 7 Ways To Arrange Bed Pillows

Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Is there a secret to this?

I always see these fabulously styled beds in magazines, model homes, department stores, etc. They're loaded with gorgeous throw pillows and shams, but every time I try and re-create the look (even if I buy the exact same pillows as displayed on the model bed), it never quite looks right.

Am I doing something wrong? A friend suggested that I need to get bigger pillows to stuff inside the shams (i.e., if the sham is 24" sq, get a 26" sq pillow).
Yes, it's the inserts. The closest I got to having my pillows look "like the magazine" was when I bought down pillows. They were not cheap! However, I did get that nice and fluffy look. I just didn't prefer the down though and ended up going with down alternative instead. Doesn't get quite as fluffy but close enough. As soon as they even start to show signs of compression and are unable to maintain the fluff anymore, which can be pretty quick, it's time to buy new. Another reason I use down alternative now. If I want to replace them often, I'm not spending a fortune anymore.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I hate those, except 1-2 they are completely useless. I don't know what to do with them when going to bed (I sleep pretty flat).
Therefore I don't have any at home, and they annoy me in the hotels...
In some cases I saw that the pillows took over the bed, and there was no place for a human to lie down and sleep. The same with sofas possessed by pillows.

Here is another bed pillow arrangement:

http://thejoyfulorganizer.com/wp-con...BedPillows.jpg
http://acreativeproject.blogspot.com...rangement.html

I agree, the best looking pillows in such arrangements are down pillows. In contrary to those with "plastic" filling, you can shape down pillows any way you want. They look natural and relaxed.

Last edited by elnina; 02-11-2014 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
One of the oldest arguments in our 23-year marriage concerns throw pillows on the bed.

I like them too, but every night as we turned down the bed, my husband would "complain" (in a light-hearted way) about all the useless pillows that we took off every night, stacked on a chair, then arranged every morning.

I even had to give him a lesson on which way was "up." ("Look at the flowers and see if they are reaching toward the sun!" LOL)

Silly newlyweds!

Now we have a huge antique bed, and it definitely needs SOME kind of decorative pillows. But we only have 2 shams that sit on top of the sleeping pillows, which are under two more decorative shams. No other small pillows, though.

I guess that's still a lot!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 6,901,334 times
Getting pillows that are bigger than the cover does help get the look you are going for.

Also, when it comes to guest rooms, consider who your guests are. Not everyone enjoys removing 100 throw pillows before going to bed. Some people are more comfortable just removing 1 or 2 decorative pillows resting on top of their actual pillows.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
From personal experience those photo shoots have the pillows filled with all sorts of things to make them stand up, even glueing them together with sticky blue goo. Don't forget about the photoshop too to make them look great with no wrinkles or droops. Especially those European Shams, I want to just fill them with cardboard to make the stand up. They should come with some kind of plastic linings in place.

New product for someone to make, pillow support inserts to make them look like the ads.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I hate those, except 1-2 they are completely useless. I don't know what to do with them when going to bed (I sleep pretty flat).
Therefore I don't have any at home, and they annoy me in the hotels...
In some cases I saw that the pillows took over the bed, and there was no place for a human to lie down and sleep. The same with sofas possessed by pillows.

Here is another bed pillow arrangement:

http://thejoyfulorganizer.com/wp-con...BedPillows.jpg
A Creative Project: How to arrange pillows on bed

I agree, the best looking pillows in such arrangements are down pillows. In contrary to those with "plastic" filling, you can shape down pillows any way you want. They look natural and relaxed.
I completely agree and we are finding ourselves using fewer and fewer. Hubby would love to see us go back to none or maybe 1 or 2.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Brings a scene from "Along Came Polly" to mind.

Good information about down giving the pillow volume. It makes sense.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
...throw pillows are kind of disgusting when you consider where people throw them to make room to sleep. I personally don't want to put anything that's been on my floor onto my bed, especially near the pillows I use for sleeping. The floor is the dirtiest part of a house with the most germs. That's where airborne germs settle. That's where shoes track in animal excrement. For people with dust allergies, floors have the most dust. Unless you have space for many pillows to be kept up off of the floor, I'd just pass on the throw pillows on the bed look...

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating