U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 AM

568 posts, read 1,440,142 times

Advertisements

Anyone go to the HD instructional classes, usually on Saturdays. i.e. how to lay ceramic tile, etc?

I was wondering if they are worthwhile, or if they use that time to sell their products and their installation services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,478,652 times
If you don't have any experience laying tile I think they are worth it. My husband has learned a lot in those classes at the home stores, and from books. Enough to re-roof two houses, redo plumbing, put in insulation, refinish, concrete work, you name it he's done it and done it well. Of course the instructions that they give include their products but it's very helpful.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
You're kidding right?

Back in the early 80s when Home Depot first started popping up stores everywhere, they prided their bragging ads touting the fact that they only hire ex contractors who actually knew their business and were paid pretty well. A consumer could feel confident they could get sound advice with their DIY projects. It worked as the consumer's trust grew strong of the store.

Well the company business model has changed over the years. Today they hire people based on anything but their home improvement experience. In fact the grand total of every employee in the store amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma. Those who teach those classes are not much more knowledgeable then those they teach. These classes are great for getting people to buy buy buy. Joe Homeowner takes a 1 hour class on how to lay tile then feels he is an expert then goes and buys a room full of tile and all the tools needed to do the job. Wow!!! Pretty good marketing strategy huh. The store cleans up on these classes and laughs all the way to the bank with the profits.

These classes are very very basic at best and are really designed to get you excited about doing the job yourself and save money...........then buy everything to do it. Then in many cases, mess things up enough that a Contractor has to be called in anyway.

It's free, go for it but be smart and realize your own skill limits before attempting any job. Sorry this is probably what you didn't want to hear. If you need something other then my facts then go ahead and google "Home Depot Complaints" and your computer will light up the whole night sky.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM

219 posts, read 307,081 times
Quote:
Well the company business model has changed over the years. Today they hire people based on anything but their home improvement experience. In fact the grand total of every employee in the store amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma. Those who teach those classes are not much more knowledgeable then those they teach.
Desert has no idea who will be teaching the class you would attend.

I have heard from some clients that they learned a lot and had a good time at the classes. I say go check them out.

Have fun.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
Desert has no idea who will be teaching the class you would attend.

I have heard from some clients that they learned a lot and had a good time at the classes. I say go check them out.

Have fun.
If I had no idea then I would not have said so. Does that make sense? Are you teaching the classes? Perhaps so and therefore that's why you were offended. Sorry bout that.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

568 posts, read 1,440,142 times
Thanks, everyone. I will go check them out.

I was hoping to do my own bathroom wall tile. I've demolished bathrooms in the past, but would like to put new tile up, without paying some "contractor" 5k.

Even if I can't do the job myself, I want to at least have a basic knowledge of how to do something, and since they are free, it seems to be a win-win situation.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,478,652 times
You can do it. My husband just reads up about it, watches a few youtube videos and then takes the class. He has put in 3 new bathrooms after demolishing them. Just research your stuff. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Hubby and I have learned lots via Home Depot and Lowes youtube instructional videos posted online. We watch them from both stores, along with videos by other people too, because they all offer a little bit more information than others. By watching as many as possible, you actually start to really learn the process via noticing some stuff that isn't mentioned in one video but is mentioned in another video. That inspires you to research, which leads to learning more. I'm sure the same problem happens with the classes in the store since an instructor is likely to not mention a thing or two.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 551,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You're kidding right?

Back in the early 80s when Home Depot first started popping up stores everywhere, they prided their bragging ads touting the fact that they only hire ex contractors who actually knew their business and were paid pretty well. A consumer could feel confident they could get sound advice with their DIY projects. It worked as the consumer's trust grew strong of the store.

Well the company business model has changed over the years. Today they hire people based on anything but their home improvement experience. In fact the grand total of every employee in the store amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma. Those who teach those classes are not much more knowledgeable then those they teach. These classes are great for getting people to buy buy buy. Joe Homeowner takes a 1 hour class on how to lay tile then feels he is an expert then goes and buys a room full of tile and all the tools needed to do the job. Wow!!! Pretty good marketing strategy huh. The store cleans up on these classes and laughs all the way to the bank with the profits.

These classes are very very basic at best and are really designed to get you excited about doing the job yourself and save money...........then buy everything to do it. Then in many cases, mess things up enough that a Contractor has to be called in anyway.

It's free, go for it but be smart and realize your own skill limits before attempting any job. Sorry this is probably what you didn't want to hear. If you need something other then my facts then go ahead and google "Home Depot Complaints" and your computer will light up the whole night sky.

let me guess desert, you are a contractor and the do-it-yourselfers have no business not hiring you.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
let me guess desert, you are a contractor and the do-it-yourselfers have no business not hiring you.
Of course I'll let you guess. I see you're new so you don't really know me. I'm glad you joined us all. Pull up a chair and read on because I'm so much more then a Contractor. I don't even like that word. In the Consumers eyes it's a filthy dirty word. Almost as low as a Politician or a Used Car Salesman.

I tell the truth my friend, even if it hurts. I also tell both sides. I speak only facts but if I add my opinion on something, I say it's my opinion. I write about home improvement and DIY for a living. People pay me for my home improvement gospel. I also have a published book on the subject. So yea.....I have my finger on the pulse of the subject very well.

Thanks for your input and have a fantastic day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating