Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree with both of you.
If there is any place to go bold, it is a powder room, especially a small one!
This is making me want to redo my powder room!

Hmmmm, Prussian blue (I have brushed nickel hardware in there), a small chandelier, and lots and lots of gilt little mirrors, with one anchor piece above the sink that's a knockout. Sort of like this:

http://www.coylesauction.com/images/...h%20mirror.jpg

And then mix and match the smaller mirrors in silver and gold tones:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...LHMG3D_pVTLC7A

Except I would paint the walls more this color:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7F0LA8UGVe...ssian_Blue.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
When I was choosing a color to paint my master bath, I selected a color I wanted to see from the bedroom. I think that is a key with a bath; what color is the room it is adjacent to? You want a pleasing effect when the door is opened into and out of the room.

In my case, my bedroom is painted a deep blue--B. Moore Nimbus Blue and my bath is painted B. Moore Vale Mist. (If anyone is interested, the colors can be googled to be seen.) I love blue with green, and I wanted to see a bit of a gray green when I opened the door to the bath, and I love seeing the deep blue when leaving the bath.

Whenever I plan the colors of a room, I start with what I've got in that room that is permanent. In your case the room color adjacent to the room, and the fixtures are what you've got. So, the color you choose should be enhanced by the other room or hall colors, and vice versa.

Many times it is how you think about a decor puzzle that helps you figure out a solution. And there is never one right answer. There are usually several possibilities.

Good luck on your project!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
Funny, I was searching this trying to get ideas for our powder room and the OP has the same exact powder room as I do. Currently it's painted a Tuscan Red. A beautiful color, but it overwhelms you since the room is about 4 x 4 with high ceilings. It's a lot of one color w/o a lot going on to break it up. I'm a little tired of the color but do like rich, dark colors, but it also feels really, really dark. From a lighting perspective, will sconces give off more light that the one pictured? Since I can't replace the pedestal right now, I assume getting multiple lights over the sink would look odd.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I painted a hall bath that has no windows a mid gray. The floor is white tile and the vanities are light yellowish wood, maple I think. I think it turned out well.

In your case you have the dark floor and white cream fixtures. I'd stay away from dark, because the floor already is dark. I'd choose a cooler color, because I like a cooler wall color with a warmer color floor.

You might think what colors are on the walls outside the bath. When you enter the bath, you don't want to be jolted by an extreme color change. For instance if the hallway walls are soft tan, using a dark red might be a change with no good transition. You might choose another color, a cool color perhaps, with the same intensity as the hall color. (I am assuming that the bath opens off a hall of some sort.)

When you walk in the bath, you want a color that will refresh the eye. So, find a color that works well with the other colors around it. You've got neutrals in there, so you do have lots of possibilities. Right now, you can find many sorts of grays, in all tones and hues. I have used a gray with some red in it, and it blends well with my dark oak floors.

Get some paint chips and hold them up to the wall of the bath and also against the wall surrounding the bath. See if you can choose one or two that might work. Then take your time, and choose the final one. Get a qt. or sample and paint a wall section before buying the paint.

And hang things in that room! Right now it looks bare.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 PM

49 posts, read 148,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes have fun:
  • Put a great graphic wallpaper on the sink wall.
  • Match the other walls paint color to the dominant color in the wallpaper.
  • Then use the second dominant color for the towels and accessories.
  • Get a more ornate mirror
  • Hang a chandelier
This is an old thread and I'd love to see what the OP ended up doing with the bathroom, but I totally agree with above!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
I'm not the original poster, I just piggy backed on this one since my bathroom looks just like the one pictured. The walls outside the bathroom are, for lack of a better description, a light yellow. Even though the floors are dark, I was thinking of going for a warmer gray since the hallway is yellow. I really like Coastal Fog by BM.

I like the idea of grouping small mirrors, but where does one buy stuff like that?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 AM

6 posts, read 14,168 times
Blue color is pretty good for your rooms...........

Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I disagree. If I had a tiny powder room, I would paint it deep, deep rich blue, put a little sparkly lamp in there, and fill the walls with small, glittery mirrors.

But hey, that's just me!
We actually did that once in a bathroom and everybody loved it. The sink, tub, toilet, and frame around the mirror were all white, and old (they were the old heavy fixtures from the 30's). The floor was tiny white tiles. Door and trim was white. Clear crystal doorknob. We painted the walls a dark blue and I have a collection of small mirrors in various frames that we hung around the walls. The room sparkled with light. The shower curtain was white fabric. We got lots of compliments even though it was just a guest bathroom.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Kind of an old thread now, but I always had a decent oriental rug and a chandelier in the powder room, and took the colors out of the rug. I think its the one room in a house (except maybe a dining room)that can always take some high drama and wow factor, even if the rest of your house is casual.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We actually did that once in a bathroom and everybody loved it. The sink, tub, toilet, and frame around the mirror were all white, and old (they were the old heavy fixtures from the 30's). The floor was tiny white tiles. Door and trim was white. Clear crystal doorknob. We painted the walls a dark blue and I have a collection of small mirrors in various frames that we hung around the walls. The room sparkled with light. The shower curtain was white fabric. We got lots of compliments even though it was just a guest bathroom.
Dang, that gets me in the mood to redo a bathroom!

Hmmmmmmmmmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating