U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,484,128 times

Advertisements

This is the third thread on this topic I've seen since I've been on C-D! I know the stainless haters are desperate for its dominance to change, but according to the Color Association of the United States, the Appliance Manufacturers Association, and Pantone, whose color forecasts are relied upon by designers all over the world, stainless is still #1.

I agree that White Ice by Whirlpool is beautiful (Black Ice has also be introduced) but I have yet to see either in anyone's home. But that also begs the question, do we buy appliances just for what they look like, or for what they do? The trend for stainless was born of people's desire to emulate the professional kitchen in their own home kitchens. The average American demands many more features in their appliances than they did in previous decades. Did your mother have a convection oven, a warmer on the stove-top, a pot-cleaning function on her dishwasher, an ice maker on the door of her fridge? No. Because so many people are buying high functionality, they are loathe to purchase anything that is trendy.

I know I couldn't get the features I wanted, and now have, in a stove in any other color except stainless, unless I paid to have it specially ordered for me. That's why I in no way classify stainless appliances in the same category as granite countertops, which are a personal taste choice and seldom bought solely for their superiority in function. How many restaurant kitchens have granite countertops? None that I know of. They have stainless for cleanliness purposes, wood for chopping, and marble for baking.

There certainly are more color appliances sold now than in recent years, starting with the success of the brightly colored washers and dryers. But those stay hidden in the laundry room. The most expensive room in the house isn't built around them, so people are willing to take a risk there that they wouldn't take in their kitchen. The Young Trendsetters with Money are in love with the SMEG refrigerator from Italy that comes in every color from Bubblegum Pink to Bright Orange to Lime, but they are much smaller (9.22 cu.ft.) than most families can deal with. Not to say the SMEG won't influence future trends, but do you want Royal Blue for the next 20 years?

The thing I am most curious about is what drives people to care so much about what other people buy in appliances. So many posters here speak as if they will win some kind of contest if white appliances come back in style. Personally I don't care what anybody has. White is great in some kitchens (I've had two) and stainless works well for others. I bought my current fridge and microwave to match my Stove from Heaven, but my dishwasher is still black. So shoot me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,141,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And the washer is a 4.6 capacity - this bin is HUGE! I could easily wash a big dog bed in this thing or a king size comforter.
I know my sleep is very screwy so I'm not very lucid so when I first read that I thought it said "big dog breed" and that sounded pretty impressive.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM

14,701 posts, read 9,993,916 times
This is the alternate choice on my glass door refrigerator wish list

Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM

25,603 posts, read 32,377,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I know my sleep is very screwy so I'm not very lucid so when I first read that I thought it said "big dog breed" and that sounded pretty impressive.
That could make the washer pay for itself in no time! LOL

Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Status: "Don't pick up anything you can't put down." (set 20 days ago)

17,305 posts, read 8,566,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I nearly died laughing when I read this! I immediately thought of my two big idiot dogs, who both weigh about 75 pounds each. The image of me trying to stuff one of them into that washer and close the lid was cracking me up!

Yesterday, they tore up a plant of mine. I love that FB page "Dog Shame" and, unknown to my dogs, I had been just waiting for them to do something stupid so I could make a little sign and take their picture and send it in. (I knew I wouldn't have to wait long.) So after they tore up the plant, I made the sign - and then tried to take a picture of them with it. THAT was the hard part!

They didn't want to get anywhere near "the scene of the crime." THEY WERE SO WORRIED AND UPSET and couldn't figure out WHY I wanted them to sit right beside the mess they had made!!!!!

Here's the picture I took - notice the worried, guilty expressions on their faces!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM

25,603 posts, read 32,377,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's the picture I took - notice the worried, guilty expressions on their faces!
I dunno ... They look slightly defiant to me! LOL Maybe I don't read "dog" as well as I read "cat".

Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Status: "Don't pick up anything you can't put down." (set 20 days ago)

17,305 posts, read 8,566,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I dunno ... They look slightly defiant to me! LOL Maybe I don't read "dog" as well as I read "cat".
They look guilty AND a bit defiant! They DEFINITELY did not want to be made to sit next to the mess they had made and pose for a picture!!!!!

Another good word for their look (and their behavior while I was taking the photo) is MOROSE.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM

1,693 posts, read 633,094 times
What a pair of sweeties!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM

5,269 posts, read 11,718,649 times
Too funny....and they are cute...I see the guilt....look at their ears..guilty ears.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,045,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Too funny....and they are cute...I see the guilt....look at their ears..guilty ears.

Totally guilty ears!!!! Good call!

Lovely pups!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating