U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Default The death of Stainless is imminent

I just had the pleasure of being introduced to a new product that will and already is beginning to kill off the Stainless Steel appliance fad forever. Not long ago Stainless was often said to look "too commercial". Which I still agree with to some degree. As a Designer I still don't like it. It's just another fad that I seen come and go over my decades of experience in this biz. I had the pleasure of adding this new refrigerator to one of my masterpiece kitchens. I'm in love with it. It's a refrigerator by Whirlpool. A company not well known for innovative new style introductions but rather a follower.

This is called White Ice. It has clean lines, silver accents and streamlined controls. The combination of a white finish, stainless handles and mirrored white glass is so eye catching and beautiful. This is the freshest look in appliance design I have seen in a long time. People came into my clients house and their eyes and hands went right for the fridge rather then my kitchen I designed. Now that's what one calls an eye catcher. I had more compliments on the fridge then the new kitchen.

There are many posts with people asking about new fads coming and going. Just thought this would be of interest for those who are considering Stainless for their new kitchen appliances. Just like granite, stainless is a dying fad. That's a fact. My opinion is neither will ever die completely as they have many followers.

Here ya go......for a cool $2500 MSRP. It could be found cheaper from discounters. (just as I always preach about buying cabinets) I don't feel this picture does it wonder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,584,001 times
Quite a few manufacturers have introduced new colors to try to overtake stainless steel. Whirlpool's luxury appliance brand Jenn-Air made a few oil-rubbed bronze appliances, however, they have failed to overtake stainless steel as the new trend. As for Whirlpool's White Ice, I see they are trying to start a new trend, however, it remains to be seen if they will be a success. I don't have much hope of it, actually.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,499,975 times
Pretty sure we have already had a thread/discussion about White Ice on here.

I agree with you partially and really like the stuff I have seen from the White Ice look so far, but I don't foresee it overtaking stainless. It will work really well in modern and contemporary homes though (it would look great in our kitchen- I'll consider it when ours ever dies.).

I think, much like the granite discussion, that a new product like this will become a nice option but won't take the home world by storm and become the majority desire. Just like granite can still be a great choice for even the hippest, upscale home today if you pick the right kind and the right stone (white river granite comes to mind), but granite as THE only go-to option has been fading for several years now. The problem with granite or stainless is that it became important to have *no matter how it coordinated with the rest of your kitchen or how well designed the product actually was.* People were forcing it into kitchens and homes that didn't work well with it or picking ugly, cheap granite that didn't work well with anything just to say "we have granite countertops."

Long story short: I think this White Ice will make an awesome(!) option but I don't see it becoming the norm. I think people are starting to realize that there are LOTS of options with kitchen appliances and counters that are relatively a wash as far as being considered "high-end." (At least I hope!) I'm sure you'll agree that coordination and design are much more important than having a finish just to have a finish (ie the right formica in a kitchen can look better than a poor granite choice). Granite because granite is the good choice for a specific kitchen will still be popular for a long time; granite because people feel the pressure to have granite is fading. I think the same will go for stainless appliances

One other thing I will note is that I like what appears to be stainless handles and details on the White Ice pieces. Makes it easy to tie in if you just want/need to replace one stainless piece with a new appliance and you consider going with White Ice. I've also seen and liked the glass-front pieces from Jenn-Air. Has anyone seen those?

(This picture is off the Jenn-Air and also demonstrates tying in a white-with-stainless accents appliance with stainless steel appliances)

Whenever our fridge dies (hopefully not anytime soon though!) I will certainly consider something like this, because it would go well with our modern style.

Last edited by jamiecta; 11-27-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Pretty sure we have already had a thread/discussion about White Ice on here.

I agree with you partially and really like the stuff I have seen from the White Ice look so far, but I don't foresee it overtaking stainless. It will work really well in modern and contemporary homes though (it would look great in our kitchen- I'll consider it when ours ever dies.).

I think, much like the granite discussion, that a new product like this will become a nice option but won't take the home world by storm and become the majority desire. Just like granite can still be a great choice for even the hippest, upscale home today if you pick the right kind and the right stone (white river granite comes to mind), but granite as THE only go-to option has been fading for several years now. The problem with granite or stainless is that it became important to have *no matter how it coordinated with the rest of your kitchen or how well designed the product actually was.* People were forcing it into kitchens and homes that didn't work well with it or picking ugly, cheap granite that didn't work well with anything just to say "we have granite countertops."

Long story short: I think this White Ice will make an awesome(!) option but I don't see it becoming the norm. I think people are starting to realize that there are LOTS of options with kitchen appliances and counters that are relatively a wash as far as being considered "high-end." (At least I hope!) I'm sure you'll agree that coordination and design are much more important than having a finish just to have a finish (ie the right formica in a kitchen can look better than a poor granite choice). Granite because granite is the good choice for a specific kitchen will still be popular for a long time; granite because people feel the pressure to have granite is fading. I think the same will go for stainless appliances

One other thing I will note is that I like what appears to be stainless handles and details on the White Ice pieces. Makes it easy to tie in if you just want/need to replace one stainless piece with a new appliance and you consider going with White Ice. I've also seen and liked the glass-front pieces from Jenn-Air. Has anyone seen those?

(This picture is off the Jenn-Air and also demonstrates tying in a white-with-stainless accents appliance with stainless steel appliances)

Whenever our fridge dies (hopefully not anytime soon though!) I will certainly consider something like this, because it would go well with our modern style.
You have made a really good point and a great observation when you said you felt people forced Stainless and/or granite into their new kitchens even if it didn't fit.........just to tell everyone you have it. I believe that too, I just never said it that way. Thanks for your input !

Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
The death of Stainless is imminent

God, I wish!
Unless there going to be a mass genicide of RE agents, it ain't happening dude.
Oh, and let's not forget about the demise of HGTV- yeah, right!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,499,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You have made a really good point and a great observation when you said you felt people forced Stainless and/or granite into their new kitchens even if it didn't fit.........just to tell everyone you have it. I believe that too, I just never said it that way. Thanks for your input !

No problem. I enjoy these kind of discussions: I always think it is cool to see what people are doing out there that is different than the norm

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM

28 posts, read 38,234 times
I was so glad to happen upon this discussion! We are building a small, single story craftsman style home in Oregon. I have long thought that stainless steel would go by the wayside just as Harvest Gold and Avacado Green did in the 70's. We all know that we can identify each decade by the look/color of the kitchen appliances and either appreciate or laugh at them I'm actually a pro white appliance person but now that we are building this home with an open concept where the kitchen/dining and living room are all the same room I am against installing white. I just don't want large white appliances in my living room So, I can see why people choose stainless steel - it's basically neutral I think it this situation. However, with that being said, I would like anyone's opinion on any other color - say, black? And, since the house will be a modernized version of a craftsman, it will tend toward natural finishes, so yes, I am choosing granite for the island (which again, is basically in my living room) and the countertops, even though I also thought that granite was perhaps overdone at this point - it's still a natural product. What would be an alternative to this in this type of house? I would love to hear ideas from all of you creative people out there Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,584,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester2 View Post
I was so glad to happen upon this discussion! We are building a small, single story craftsman style home in Oregon. I have long thought that stainless steel would go by the wayside just as Harvest Gold and Avacado Green did in the 70's. We all know that we can identify each decade by the look/color of the kitchen appliances and either appreciate or laugh at them I'm actually a pro white appliance person but now that we are building this home with an open concept where the kitchen/dining and living room are all the same room I am against installing white. I just don't want large white appliances in my living room So, I can see why people choose stainless steel - it's basically neutral I think it this situation. However, with that being said, I would like anyone's opinion on any other color - say, black? And, since the house will be a modernized version of a craftsman, it will tend toward natural finishes, so yes, I am choosing granite for the island (which again, is basically in my living room) and the countertops, even though I also thought that granite was perhaps overdone at this point - it's still a natural product. What would be an alternative to this in this type of house? I would love to hear ideas from all of you creative people out there Thanks!
While the peak of popularity of black appliances was in the 1990s, they still remain a frequent backup option to stainless steel. Generally, black appliances still tend to help with home values better than white. Our builder, Fulton Homes, doesn't even offer white appliances as an option.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,868,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just had the pleasure of being introduced to a new product that will and already is beginning to kill off the Stainless Steel appliance fad forever. Not long ago Stainless was often said to look "too commercial". Which I still agree with to some degree. As a Designer I still don't like it. It's just another fad that I seen come and go over my decades of experience in this biz. I had the pleasure of adding this new refrigerator to one of my masterpiece kitchens. I'm in love with it. It's a refrigerator by Whirlpool. A company not well known for innovative new style introductions but rather a follower.

This is called White Ice. It has clean lines, silver accents and streamlined controls. The combination of a white finish, stainless handles and mirrored white glass is so eye catching and beautiful. This is the freshest look in appliance design I have seen in a long time. People came into my clients house and their eyes and hands went right for the fridge rather then my kitchen I designed. Now that's what one calls an eye catcher. I had more compliments on the fridge then the new kitchen.

There are many posts with people asking about new fads coming and going. Just thought this would be of interest for those who are considering Stainless for their new kitchen appliances. Just like granite, stainless is a dying fad. That's a fact. My opinion is neither will ever die completely as they have many followers.

Here ya go......for a cool $2500 MSRP. It could be found cheaper from discounters. (just as I always preach about buying cabinets) I don't feel this picture does it wonder.

I recently read this article on these new Whirlpool appliances. They are quite beautiful!

We will, most likely, be replacing our current white appliances with them.

Women You Should Know Kitchen Throw Down: White Ice Vs. Stainless Steel Women You Should Know

Thanks for posting this.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,287,270 times
WE pretty much saw stainless appliances pull back at the beginning of last year. Few are being installed today. The white as posted is making headway here and it looks modern and elegant. Now if the designers would just please forget archways in homes, arched niches, and the every so dumb rock surrounds at the kitchen stoves. Makes ya wonder if any of these guys ever go back into any of their work. Grease does not clean off of the rocks and you'd would have thought they would know better. So much for common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating