Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM

126 posts, read 243,698 times

Advertisements

My house was built in 1930 and is an English Revival style. The previous owners replaced the light fixture in the dining room with one of those really ugly brass fixtures that were common in the early 90s. It really doesn't go with the house at all. The dining room is 10' X 13' with a 9' ceiling and is open to the LR through a wide arch. The walls are currently painted a muted gold (color is called Fortune Cookie) with oak trim and original oak floors. My dining room chairs are Bank of England Chairs like these (the ones you usually see at Barnes and Noble):

I will probably be purchasing a new dining room table soon. I prefer round tables so maybe something similiar to this:

I would like to replace the fixture with something more appropriate but I'm not sure if I should try to go for something historically accurate, or do something that feels appropriate but a bit more current in style. Any thoughts are welcome as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the choices for light fixtures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 PM

17,425 posts, read 65,629,997 times
The first thing that came to mind is wrought iron; or bronze. Exterior fixtures were usually copper because they didn't rust.
But interior fixtures were usually W/I or bronze, some may or maynot have had glass. If they did it usually was "seeded" glass. And if not glass but some other type of cover, it was usually mica.

There are several manufacturers that specialize in period products-
Tudor Style Lighting and Gothic Style Lights for the Tudor Revival Style Home | Tudor Furnishings

Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
I would definitely go Tudor style and dramatic!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM

126 posts, read 243,698 times
I think I've decided on this one, but with a longer stem.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating