Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I will have to take some more pictures tomorrow. I changed some things.
I can't wait to see them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,660,400 times

This was a remodel, it's so nice and bright.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Hello fellow city data-ers

We have a dated kitchen we are looking to upgrade, (floors, counters, paint(walls) possibly paint cabinets)

We would like to keep the cabinets as they are in good condition and we are on a budget, we will eventually upgrade the dishwasher and fridge to Stainless. I would like to keep the trim stained as I dont want to do all the trim in the house but I am not against painting the cabinets. I would like to avoid hardwood floors in the kitchen as the rest of hte house is hardwood and the dog needs a place to eat without destroying.

Here are two pictures of how the kitchen looks now

Below is a link to a picture of what im leaning towards for a "look" or a "style" the house is a new england "country-ish" cape cod. were trying to have a modern country look for it.

http://www.home-designing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/country-kitchens_0005_layer-5.jpg

I was really hoping to get your ideas as I am kinda at a complete loss of what to do with this space. We are also looking at getting an island built something on wheels so it can be pushed against a wall when were not using it. The kitchen really isnt big enough for a permanant island or a table

Thanks!
What you are shooting for is "cottage" not modern. Painted surfaces, not matched, go a long way to getting you that look.

What your kitchen needs, and what the cook wants, I think, are more counter surfaces for work area. I can't tell if an island is feasible in that space. You can do some research online to find out how much area around an island is optimal and go from there. Whatever changes you make, try to get more counter space, and make the style conform to function.

I quite like the open beam, by the way.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM

356 posts, read 370,245 times
Default Updating Kitchen

Your cabinets are in good shape and painting stained cabinets is a lot of work. I would try keeping them as is, but replace the counter tops with a lighter-tone granite. (granite comes in a variety of price points - you'd be suprised how inexpensive some are). Replace the sink with a good quality stainless steel one and mount it under the granite. Next replace all cabinet harware and faucet with something of good quality in a silver tone. Keep your wood beams as they are- they are lovely. Lastly paint walls in a color that works well with your floors and counters. Benjamin Moore's taupey-gray color, Hot Spring Stones, seems to look nice with almost everything. Good luck. Post a picture when you are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating