Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

I hate having the elastic all the way around a fitted sheet, it makes them so dam hard to fold.

years ago when the elastic was only on the both ends of the fitted sheets, Grandma taught me how to fold a perfect sheet, she must be rolling in her grave right about now. Folding fitted flannel sheets with elastic all the way around is not a pretty site.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate having the elastic all the way around a fitted sheet, it makes them so dam hard to fold.

years ago when the elastic was only on the both ends of the fitted sheets, Grandma taught me how to fold a perfect sheet, she must be rolling in her grave right about now. Folding fitted flannel sheets with elastic all the way around is not a pretty site.....
I won't look in your linen closet, I promise.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I use queen size sheets on my queen size bed and try to get ones that don't have huge pocket depth. Problem is that they're all made so huge now that the fitted sheet wrinkles up.

Has anyone tried to use deep pocket full size sheets on a queen bed to get a tighter fit or do you think the overall size would be too small?? Right now I've got huge overhang on the top sheet as well, so I'm thinking less would be more.
Buy a memory foam mattress topper, it makes the mattress "thicker". Problem solved.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
I have noticed this too. I tend to prefer a slimmer mattress (as I haven't found these monstrously thick mattresses to be any more comfortable than more slim ones). The extra length doesn't bother me too much though. I will say that European sheets and duvets tend to come in smaller sizes than the US ones. Some of the ones I have bought from Scandanavia for example are much closer to how sheets and duvets used to be sized

Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I have a 2 in. memory foam already. Overall thickness is 12-14 in. which used to be standard. I think I'm going to try to buy a full size fitted and a queen size flat....

Every sheet manufacturer seems to make different sizes in the fitted sheet even though they say they're the same!! Seems to be a crap shoot.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Oh, we've also had good luck with IKEA. The quality is good for as cheap as they are. I think you can check the dimensions of their sheets on their website?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Buy a memory foam mattress topper, it makes the mattress "thicker". Problem solved.

One step ahead of you, already have it.

it helps a little, by 3 inches.

but oh, so comfortable

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have a queen size bed.

Way back when you could buy bottom and top sheets seperately.....I would buy a queen size bottom sheet and a king size top sheet.

That way.....I acutally had more than enough to tuck in when making the bed and enough to be comfortably covered up when IN THE BED.

I still buy king size blankets for the same reason.

I did the same thing with cafe curtains. I would buy extra valences for a fuller look.

I HATE having to buy things in SETS!
I was just wishing I could get queen bottom sheets and king top sheets.

I know at Walmart you can buy the basic twin sheets seperately (I buy the flat ones to make curtains), I wonder about the bigger sizes and how deep their bottom sheets are. I've been buying really expensive sheets but my dogs rip them when they jump up, so I'm ready for some cheaper sheets.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
We looked at doing separates, there are a few here and there. There's one or two lines in Bed Bath and Beyond that you can buy as separates, and there's even a fairly cheap line in Target you can do that way, but you don't get a lot of color/design choices. The BBB ones are expensive that way, nice sheets but would come out over $100 for a set which is fine for some folks but too much for me. I'm picky but not that picky. I can usually find something in the $40-60 per set range that suits my tastes.

What we did last year was buy sets still and buy king flat sheets to go with them. That has worked out well, giving us patterns we liked on the fitted and pillowcases and a coordinating top sheet. Also bought a king blanket recently. The sheets are from Target so not too pricey and they are of weave/finish that I can live with, something I'm picky about (no sateen please!) Got a closeout deal on a nice cotton blanket.

To the person considering a full fitted sheet for queen bed because of the depth, I don't see how that's going to work nicely. Even with elastic on all sides you're going to have some seams in the corners that are not going to end up where they're supposed to be. A full bed is a significant size difference. If your mattress is crazy thin, it could fit, but it won't fit well. I think it would be worse than the too deep sheet.

We don't seem to have too much problem with the depth issue. The sheets are now deeper than our only modestly deep mattress (I think it's about 10-12" thick but the sheets now say they fit 16-18"). With the 4-way elastic they pull up under a little better. You just have to get the corners in the right places and allow the excess to live underneath the mattress. It does come a little loose after sleeping in it, requiring a bit of touch up here and there between washings.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have a queen size bed.

Way back when you could buy bottom and top sheets seperately.....I would buy a queen size bottom sheet and a king size top sheet.

That way.....I acutally had more than enough to tuck in when making the bed and enough to be comfortably covered up when IN THE BED.

I still buy king size blankets for the same reason.

I did the same thing with cafe curtains. I would buy extra valences for a fuller look.

I HATE having to buy things in SETS!
I did the same thing. Now we have a king sized bed and that is not an option. The sheet, blanket and comforter barely cover the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating