Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,794 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever buy furniture online and regret the purchase?

Wasn't as comfortable as you thought it would it be, color wasn't what it looked like online, cheap material, etc...

We're looking for some dining patio furniture and the "best" we've found have all been online.
I think we've driven a little over an hour radius trying to find some patio furniture and came up empty.
Turns about for us to be just a waste of time.

Curious how many bought online and then wished they hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I've only ever bought bedroom furniture online - and like it (separate pieces from the same line: bed/headboard, dresser, nightstands).

(You're looking for outdoor furniture in Jan. in Chicago????)

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM

204 posts, read 911,178 times
Is there a specific style or material you are looking for? I'm assuming if you gone to several stores and haven't found anything then you must have something specificin mind or very limited budget. Teak, stainless, wrought iron, concrete, faux wicker, cast aluminum, modern, traditional, transitional?

I tend to have fairly specific taste and I don't often see outdoor furniture I like. Sometimes Crate and Barrel or Restoration Hardware have stuff I like, everything else would be at the Merchandise Mart (which I can't afford). If you wait a couple months, there will be more available in our area (Chicago). I don't know where to go in the suburbs, I assume you checked Chalet and Pasquesi? In the city you could try Gethsemane, Sprout (modern), or City Escape. All of them have websites or you could call and ask when and what they'll get in.

Buying online can be tricky unless you've seen a similar model or sample swatch or are working with a designer who has ordered similar pieces before. I've worked with designers and for a furniture company and was always surprised when a customer ordered a $4,000 sofa they saw on our website.

You may have better luck posting in the Chicago or Chicago Suburbs forum and ask where people bought their patio furniture or where to look. If you can't find something you like in the entire Metropolitan area, I'm not sure you'll find anything better or different online. If you were in town of 3,000 in North Dakota, I'd say sure shop online, but there has got to be something that works in the Chicago area, spend some money locally and help our economy.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Maybe wait until March to start looking for outdoor furniture at the stores, since it's too cold to be worrying about that now?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,174 times
I found a great price and set of dining table and chairs for our porch at a web site that I had never heard of but turned out to be really good. I believe it was AGT stores? I was hesitant also but it turned out well. Good outdoor furniture is expensive and you can find some good deals now from last year's leftovers.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,794 times
We had our deck rebuilt in June so for... what... almost 5 months we looked at what seemed every store possible. I wouldn't say there is a certain style we're looking. Just something sturdy and nice.

There are some nice ones that I've seen on RH. This one is a style I really like.
Looks nice and all but is it sturdy and comfy???
The $64,000 question.

While I'm looking for outdoor furniture, my question was more in general.
I guess it is a hit and miss.
Also seen some sofas and sectionals that we liked online but when you go to actually see them in person,
they are nothing like what you had in mind.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM

204 posts, read 911,178 times
Restoration Hardware usually has good quality outdoor furniture, but you would never know whether it was comfortable unless you sat in it.
Find out what their warranty covers, return policy, and if they have any free shipping offers coming up. They only display a few outdoor pieces at select stores, you could call and ask if that table is on display at a specific location (it may be at a store in Atlanta or LA which wouldn't help unless you have a trip planned).

I know I mentioned it before, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to post in the Chicago or Chicago Suburbs forum to see if people have any ideas about stores that carry outdoor furniture in the area.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,538 times
I have... But only from stores I know well and maybe even pieces I've seen in the B&M store or from really well reviewed places.

For example I just bought some knock-offs of well known chairs through Industry West based on some good reviews of the company for half of what the named pieces would have cost and when they arrived I was very very pleased. The quality and workmanship were outstanding.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Yes but nothing that requires sitting. I have bought tables and that sort of thing. Regarding chairs and sofas I need to see it in person, look at the construction of it and of course sit on it to make sure its comfortable.

I bought a nice set from Lowe's. The set was very expensive but during the fall they mark stuff down. I bought a set that cost over 700 dollars for 200.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 AM

4,213 posts, read 6,901,334 times
Room & Board makes excellent furniture and they have a location in Chicago as well. They have very high quality stuff and a lot of items in their outdoor section as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating