Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchess12 View Post
I have to be honest I really don’t understand the point of a comment like this. Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this supposed to be a place that people help each other, answer questions, give constructive criticism and just in general provide support on questions, issues, etc?? This comment has absolutely nothing to do with the question I was asking as well as doesn’t provide any support or suggestions to my issue. It is also clear that you haven’t read the thread as I stated that there are 2 options in this living room for the fireplace, which are above the fireplace and on one of the built-ins. I as well am not nor have ever been a fan of TV’s over the fireplace, but I am even less a fan of a TV in a built in of this type of set up. This wall is literally the only option in this room as it is a very open concept room with one wall of all windows.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, constructive criticism and help on anything I ever post on any open forum, but this comment is none of that. It is just criticism and it just comes across as rude. Yes, you are completely entitled to your opinion but in a setting like this don’t you think the point is to give your opinion and then make a suggestion or comment on what the actual question is? Not to mention, if your criticism has already been addressed previous in the thread and nothing can be done about it, then what’s the point??

My point means that basically it looks ugly, it needs to come down, because it is ruining the look of the room.

the room looks nice otherwise, the TV above the FP is ruining the whole look, did I make myself clear now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It is interesting how folks react to different comments. I sorta read the comments about the TV as the some others did -- that because in this sort of room it is a visual "stopping point" the TV needs to relocated / hidden.

I have a few friends whose homes have 10 ft or higher ceilings and they too have to make decisions that are different than folks that have "regular" 8ft ceilings -- for instance if they hung lights too high it makes everyone look / feel like they need to help Dorothy find the Yellow Brick Road...

Earlier tonight I was helping a young couple look at a few homes in their modest price range in a rather pricey town that they grew up in. I know for a fact that the husband's parents home is quite dated and even 20 years ago was not the kind of place that would end up in a "design magazine" but the "grandiose plans" that this young couple seem to have are right out of ideas that I know are potentially very costly and not really likely to result in enduring value. I think they will find something they'll be happy with in basic size / location / value but I am hoping that they stick with things that are easy to change. I think that before they start mentally "removing walls" they at least try some simpler things like changing colors.

Sometimes the best designs are "edited down" and when things are sort of moved off "center stage" to a supporting role the overall balance of the place is improved.

Stepping back and letting others' impressions give guidance from a less personally "invested" place can often help when you start to "lose sight of the forest for the trees"...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM

356 posts, read 371,213 times
Seems like quite a tall wall not to have anything on it. If you can't change the mantle, I think I'd opt to (1) move the tv to the built-in shelves, (2) remove the molding you put up, (3) paint the fireplace wall an accent color or darker shade of what's already there, and (4) add a large painting or tall mirror with a nice frame, such as the one below.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM

35 posts, read 134,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Seems like quite a tall wall not to have anything on it. If you can't change the mantle, I think I'd opt to (1) move the tv to the built-in shelves, (2) remove the molding you put up, (3) paint the fireplace wall an accent color or darker shade of what's already there, and (4) add a large painting or tall mirror with a nice frame, such as the one below.

I am loving that mirror and it would look amazing! I also like the idea of a darker color for that area!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I just want to mention that plenty of people have opted to put their flat screen over their fireplace and I think it can look OK. The chief problem would be the height of the screen. Many mantels are pretty high, and as other posters have mentioned, the viewing angle could be uncomfortable. If you can solve that problem, then I don't see the problem with having it there.

Decorators have for decades mourned about a TV in the living area at all, or in a large wall unit, or just nakedly out for all to see. ("Black holes") TV is here for good, people. Most of us watch and we do so usually in a common room. Unless we are wealthy enough for a special and spacious TV room, our TVs are front and center in our homes.

If someone opts for placing the TV over the fireplace, then that is probably a logical solution for that person. It surely puts the focal point of the room in one spot!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The problem with the TV over the OP's fireplace is the fact that it's two stories and she is drawing attention to the fact it's two stories. The proportions are way off for a TV. If she takes the TV into consideration when deciding how to continue with the woodwork, she might be able to make it appear as if it were designed for a TV. Right now, it just looks like an odd man out.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Key is scale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The problem with the TV over the OP's fireplace is the fact that it's two stories and she is drawing attention to the fact it's two stories. The proportions are way off for a TV. If she takes the TV into consideration when deciding how to continue with the woodwork, she might be able to make it appear as if it were designed for a TV. Right now, it just looks like an odd man out.

There are rooms where a TV screams "this thing visually interupts what would otherwise be a nice looking room" and there are rooms where a TV is not a big deal. In this case the look of a paneled fireplace is NOT going to be achievable with what is installed.

I would really try to track down a "Trompe l'oeil" artist. I have seen a whole wall experty disguised with painted blocks / panels / quoins that looks better than trying to do this with "real" molding becuase the artist can adjust the scale to make every flow together. I think if the TV stays in the location it is the ratio of the it should be echoed by the artist....

Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
It doesn't go with what you have done so far, but I would have done a stone facade. If you're looking for relatively inexpensive, why not a big, long piece of artwork with some dimension?
I would have left it as-is, and hung some dramatic art down the length of it. Those high ceilings are so great! Just begging for art! Textiles, anything!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
If you hide the TV, your fireplace wall would look so much better. Here are some ways, ranging from easy and fairly inexpensive to pricey, to give you some ideas. [1] [2] [3]

Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You know I hate to diss a project that is an attempt to make a bland wall better. I'm not fond of throwing up moldings willy nilly either. But I do think the poster is attempting to make something nice there, and I think she can still do it.

I wrestled around with a vaulted ceiling in a large room for 2 1/2 decades and I came to the conclusion that you have to visualize horizontal lines--imaginary lines connecting up the tops of doorways and windows. I learned to hang or place things in relation to those imaginary lines, or line, as the case may be.

Tall walls are difficult. The vertical lines of the new molding emphasize the tall walls. but I think the OP can rescue this and come away with a nice room.

If the T.V. works for the family in that place, then it is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating