Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Yep. You don't have to match everything in your house! Just because one piece leans toward a Queen Anne style doesn't mean you need to go out and buy everything else to match the style. Mixing and matching in a tasteful way often makes a house look the most pulled-together anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you like it, it will go with other things you like. Even though the legs are Queen Anne or are possibly a 19th Century French leg, it looks casual to me. The shape is simplified, not ornate, and the stripes update it. I can't tell about the shades of green, whether they speak to each other or not, but overall I think the things you have chosen look good together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Yep. You don't have to match everything in your house! Just because one piece leans toward a Queen Anne style doesn't mean you need to go out and buy everything else to match the style. Mixing and matching in a tasteful way often makes a house look the most pulled-together anyway.
I've been looking at the curtains. They're not as busy as the photo on Wiki would suggest. I can't get the enlarged photo to copy, but go to Amazon and enlarge it there to see what I mean.

So guys, what settee and chairs would you put with it that would be tasteful? I just can't "see" what goes with it and would look pulled together.

I saw a set of barrel chairs at a thrift store yesterday that I stared at for a long time but couldn't decide if they would work. White or cream upholstery with a raised pattern - I think diamond but it was very subtle. Very dark wood with some curlicues carved in it. Straight legs in back and carved feet in front.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Oh wait, I figured it out. Yay! The colors aren't quite as clear as in this picture, the background is slightly more tan/beige (only slightly) and the colors are a tiny bit more .... um muddy I guess.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Yes the drapes are better now that they are enlarged. They are whimsical and the color is right for the stripes. I would stick with the white distressed and some black furniture for this room, shown in other posts examples. Some nice ideas have been posted.

And I would order an extra set of drapes (smaller size?) to make a 3 pillows add a black color block in different patterns to them. Like frame one in black, next one make 2 stripes on the edge, next one make a fat stripe right down the middle. Also maybe recover a small chair or small foot stool.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks findinghope for the chair photos. I like a couple of the ones with wooden arms, but I don't want wood arms on the sofa as I need something more comfortable. I have no idea what style of sofa/settee would go with them. I know, I'm a dork, but even dorks deserve beautiful rooms don't we?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Thanks findinghope for the chair photos. I like a couple of the ones with wooden arms, but I don't want wood arms on the sofa as I need something more comfortable. I have no idea what style of sofa/settee would go with them. I know, I'm a dork, but even dorks deserve beautiful rooms don't we?
yeah of course!!! and of course you want a couch with no arms. i would pick any style couch you like that is comfortable and whose color is neutral. also dont pick something overstuffed like those giant 80's style pieces.

Stripes - Righe - Trend for ss 2013 / striped couch (this style--not color)
Staging / Couch (this style)
a little bit of this. a little bit of that. / white couch (this style)

Home Improvements / baking soda to clean a couch #Home for lack of a better picture i think you can see how overstuffed this style is--i would avoid this one.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Okay. Luckily I don't like the overstuffed look. Don't even like the tufted backs.

I don't want brown in there. Love cream but dunno how clean that would stay at my house. Would gray work as a neutral? Hmmm ... I might live dangerously and try cream.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Okay. Luckily I don't like the overstuffed look. Don't even like the tufted backs.

I don't want brown in there. Love cream but dunno how clean that would stay at my house. Would gray work as a neutral? Hmmm ... I might live dangerously and try cream.

shop around--you'll know it when you see it

Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes the drapes are better now that they are enlarged. They are whimsical and the color is right for the stripes. I would stick with the white distressed and some black furniture for this room, shown in other posts examples. Some nice ideas have been posted.

And I would order an extra set of drapes (smaller size?) to make a 3 pillows add a black color block in different patterns to them. Like frame one in black, next one make 2 stripes on the edge, next one make a fat stripe right down the middle. Also maybe recover a small chair or small foot stool.
Thank you for the ideas. Wish I had a sewing machine.

I like the idea of having a footstool in the same fabric. Wonder how much it costs to have one done? I have no idea how to do upholstery.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Whadda think of this lamp in that room? It looks a little modern but I liek the polka dots and it's a good opportunity to get more blue accents into the room??? I dunno.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating