Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
They are offering the oak as a level 1 not an upgrade. The color choices are only 5 , we are leaning to go with the darker color.

I saw a video on YouTube about the difference between solid vs engineered and the guys said if you put engineered one can still wood in the MLS listing.

Anyways we will go with solid wood.
I think you will be happy with your choice. We had the floors in our new to us house resanded and stained dark, and they are stunning.

I only have 1 first hand experience with engineered wood, and I wasn't impressed. If I had a choice I'd go with solid wood, but if I couldn't afford solid wood, I'd consider a really good laminate along with the engineered wood, unless I thought I would sell the house in a few years. Then the engineered wood is probably a better choice.

Sold hardwood adds value to a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you will be happy with your choice. We had the floors in our new to us house resanded and stained dark, and they are stunning.

I only have 1 first hand experience with engineered wood, and I wasn't impressed. If I had a choice I'd go with solid wood, but if I couldn't afford solid wood, I'd consider a really good laminate along with the engineered wood, unless I thought I would sell the house in a few years. Then the engineered wood is probably a better choice.

Sold hardwood adds value to a home.
While I agree that I would prefer solid hardwoods, the value added in our area between solid and engineered is nearly negligible. On MLS listings you only even have to specify between real wood floors and laminate, not engineered vs solid.

Now, the difference between real wood and laminate is large and there isn't much value added. But engineered floors still add a value to a home. They are real wood and don't have any of the downsides that make laminate not a true value-added item, while having nearly all of the upsides of a solid wood except the for the ability to truly sand and refinish multiple times.

In either case I agree that sticking with solid wood was the right choice here.

Last edited by Sunbather; 02-18-2013 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Found out first-hand that laminate was a detriment when I had my house for sale a few years ago. I think it's ok for 3rd floors or basements, but not the main part of the house. At least from a re-sale perspective and price range.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM

102 posts, read 305,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
While I agree that I would prefer solid hardwoods, the value added in our area between solid and engineered is nearly negligible. On MLS listings you only even have to specify between real wood floors and laminate, not engineered vs solid.

Now, the difference between real wood and laminate is large and there isn't much value added. But engineered floors still add a value to a home. They are real wood and don't have any of the downsides that make laminate not a true value-added item, while having nearly all of the upsides of a solid wood except the for the ability to truly sand and refinish multiple times.

I think you make a good point, we went to the model home and what i though was solid wood turned out to be engineered wood. I could not make out the difference.

Now I have heard people talk about floor noises coming from solid hardwood if there is a crawl space underneath.

So now with the comment made above, I am think should I reconsider and go with engineered wood instead.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
Floor noises coming from hardwood is nothing abnormal, especially during cold weather. I had all new hardwoods installed last summer, never made a peep until temps started dropping outside. Once in a while I hear a little pop or crack noise. This is mainly on the second floor above the garage... although the garage is insulated and rarely gets below 55F.

I'm guessing that engineered floors would also be prone to this during temp changes... maybe more since the base wood below the veneer is a lower grade plywood.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post

I believe we agree. If the choice would be between engineered wood and laminate, and resale value was prime, then go with engineered wood.

I did a house search this past summer, and it is true that "wood" could mean engineered wood or solid.

Luckily for us, we found a house with solid wood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating