U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM

162 posts, read 624,654 times

Advertisements

I read this week that Zillow, the website notorious for its garbage zestimates, is expanding into home improvement by launching Zillow Digs. Rather than me explain I have cut and pasted Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoffs explanantion of Digs that he gave to Analysts on Zillows 4th quarter earnings call this week.

"Zillow Digs provides consumers with a compelling and immersive social experience in home improvement, one that reinforces the value of Zillow to homeowners. The launch includes a revolutionary new tool for consumers found only on Zillow: Digs Estimates, a first-of-its-kind remodeling cost estimate algorithm created by Zillow’s industry-leading team of economists and data analysts. The patent-pending technology in Digs Estimates helps home shoppers and homeowners understand what it might actually cost to recreate the looks they see in the thousands of photos of real bathrooms and kitchens on Zillow Digs."

Is it me or is that the biggest load of gobbledygook of all time? Have these people lost the ability to speak in plain English? and whats with patent pending technology in Digs estimates? does that mean I can take a patent out on estimating improvement projects on the back of a cigarette packet? All I do know is that it would be a lot more accurate than anything those clowns at Zillow will ever calculate if anything like the nonsense of zestimates, which by Zillows own admission over 10 million home zestimates are incorrect.

As a matter of interest how many of you will go searching through pictures on Zillow to recreate home improvement projects? Just curious as after reading the explanation I can't see many people wasting their time when there are so many better professional home improvement websites to inspire ideas than a bunch of amateurs at Zillow.

Just to be objective here is how the Washington Post explains Digs - not sure I am convinced

Zillow Digs provides home remodeling inspiration and cost estimates - Where We Live - The Washington Post

Conclusion is that Zillow "Dogs" is a more appropriate description than Digs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,686,929 times
While I have no interest in "zillow digs", I do have to say that the zillow estimates in my area are actually fairly close. In my particular neighborhood they are often within 5% or so either direction depending on finishes and condition. I still wouldn't rely on them across the board but I have actually been shocked at how relatively close they have been over the past year or so compared to several years ago when I first came across their site.

I'm sure in lots of areas they are way off though.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,509,537 times
A cost estimate algorithm?!?!?! It's easier just to watch HGTV. All those stupid shows that tell people you can remodel an entire kitchen for $895, can re-roof your house for $1200, can add all new windows for $1000, or can paint your whole house at no cost.

I wonder how they will profit from it. One probably has to be spammed with a dozen obnoxious commercials before you can do your estimate.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,443,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
A cost estimate algorithm?!?!?! It's easier just to watch HGTV. All those stupid shows that tell people you can remodel an entire kitchen for $895, can re-roof your house for $1200, can add all new windows for $1000, or can paint your whole house at no cost.

I wonder how they will profit from it. One probably has to be spammed with a dozen obnoxious commercials before you can do your estimate.
You mean you can't? Have you been listening in on my conversations with DH? I keep telling him he could do projects for those prices, but he keeps saying it's impossible. He finally conceded that if Ty Pennington would pull up to the house in his fully equipped truck, then maybe.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
Just another stupid attempt to find stupid advertisers to make Mr. Rascoffs dreams of owning a jet like Larry & Sergey of google a little closer... It is all about finding advertisers that want dumb consumers -- for the core Zestimates they tried selling ads to real estate agents but that does not work as too many stupid people try going it alone. I think the terrible rotten awful remodeling middlemen like Sears and similar schlocky outfits will probably find stupid / desperate homeowners to overpay for cheap vinyl windows, weired off brand roofing and similar no-name renovations...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM

162 posts, read 624,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Exactly !!! especially when only the other day the Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff admitted in a Bloomberg interview that 17% of Zestimates are more than 25% incorrect. There's a track record to be proud of

Zillow Sales-Model Change Boosted Results, CEO Says: Video - Bloomberg

Just think of how inaccurate the 'dogs' estimates will be where they even have less capability than they do with zestimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating