Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

If the glass in the table is removable, you can replace it with tile. You could probably do that if it wasn't removable and just break out the glass. I really like the set as it is, except the glass in the table. It looks like the glass is just set in there so changing it out would be pretty easy. I don't mind the mirror in the hutch. I'd wait to get it into your home before you do anything with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
HOPES
i like the first set much better

Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
HOPES
i like the first set much better
Me too!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Thanks! I like the first one too. I was just showing how limited the options are in my region on Craig's List.

My problem with the first one is that it's for my kitchen, not a dining room. I was thinking of hiring a furniture maker to put wood in the center.

Do you think tile would help make it less formal? I'm not a big fan of tile tables. Maybe tile is the answer for incorporating this into the kitchen.

I really love those chairs!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hopes; 02-18-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks! I like the first one too. I was just showing how limited the options are in my region on Craig's List.

My problem with the first one is that it's for my kitchen, not a dining room. I was thinking of hiring a furniture maker to put wood in the center.

Do you think tile would help make it less formal? I'm not a big fan of tile tables. Maybe tile is the answer for incorporating this into the kitchen.

I really love those chairs!!!!!!!!!
Yes, the chairs are fabulous! And I do think tile in the middle might help it look more like it belongs in a kitchen. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM

I just sent an email to see if it's still available!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes a wood inlayed in there would be nice, could even be a different wood stained a secondary tone that would go with the new fabric.

Or you could paint the bottom of the glass like they do on glass tiles, to match your kitchen wall color.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Is it just me or does that hutch look like a top with the bottom missing? It just seems like an awkward size. Otherwise the table is nice, I wouldn't try to change it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM

I haven't received a response to my email yet.

Someone left a rep saying it was 1990s country casual and not formal at all. Even if it's country casual, I think it's too fancy for a kitchen as it is.

About the hutch looking like the bottom is missing, that's why I want to convert the mirror and shelves to wood and use it as a bookcase.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I wish I could wait for the perfect set that doesn't need to be changed. That will require buying new. My local Craig's List doesn't often have quality furniture. My region is very frugal. People don't buy new stuff until it's outdated or destroyed. This set is in one of the city's more elite townships, where Theresa Heinz and John Kerry live.

If I was putting it in a dining room, the glass top wouldn't bother me because the inlay is gorgeous. I'm trying to find a big table for my very large kitchen I am currently remodeling. The glass top just won't look right there. I was hoping I could make it less fussy.

What I love about it is the chairs and the cabinet. If I eliminate the mirrored back and added wood shelves, I'd use the cabinet as a bookcase in my family room. I like the idea of using the chairs with a different table, but I'm not paying $1500 for chairs and a cabinet, especially since it will be very difficult to find a table that would look good with the chairs.

There's only one other set for sale right now that I like: Dining Room Set I only like the table and chairs, not the china cabinet since I don't need a china cabinet. Of course, I'd change the fabric on the chairs again. My main problem with this set is that I don't want high back chairs again. I hate how they break up a room and make it difficult to see the table setting. Plus, even though I love French Country, it's not the direction I was trying to go.
DOH! Why didn't I notice that this was on CL? I thought you were purchasing new, not used. In THAT case, get it! I like your plans for the china closet/book case. I LOVE book cases with glass doors (no more dusting books!).

Another idea for the table... how about 2 panels of a pressed-tin ceiling, over a piece of supporting wood (but flush with the table surface). They even have them in copper. Might look nice. Or even just a square table cloth used diagonally, or wide table runner, so that most of the glass is covered up?

BTW, night and day between the 2 sets -- I don't like your second pick at all, even though it's much cheaper. And I hear ya about high-backed chairs. I was given an antique round oak table with newer high-backed oak chairs. Can't stand them! They look nice, but are a pain in the butt to constantly work around.

Last edited by Blinx; 02-19-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating