Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,456,689 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

So Monday I painted my livingroom a golden yellow color that I love. It makes me think of sunset. My couch is dark brown with tan pillows.

I need something for my walls but just can't decide what I want. I definitely want a photo or photo like painting. I like scenes with people or landscapes or cityscapes. Stuff that shows life. One of my favorites is the nurse and soldier kissing in times square. VJ Day Kiss (Sailor & Nurse) Art Poster Print Masterprint at AllPosters.com

I love the ocean and the south.

I just haven't seen anything that calls to me.

Nothing pricey, I'll prolly just order something off allposters.

I've got a large area, about 8 ft by 4 ft of wall space. So something larger sized.

Anyone got some recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,548,573 times
I would probably opt for some smaller pics arranged decoratively in the space instead of one huge pic centered in the 8x4 area. Also, you don't have to settle for anything right away. Take your time and look around and see what speaks to you then. At least you have a basic idea of what you like and are looking for. Have some fun with it - the possibilities are endless.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM

I think that's my problem, endless possibilities. I'm not the best decision maker.

I think everything I look at isn't personal enough. I want something that evokes memories for me. Might be time to grab my sister and her camera. Road trip.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
The one you picked is a great classic. I think one large print is much more appealing than a bunch of smaller prints, which tend to look cluttered.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,089,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I think that's my problem, endless possibilities. I'm not the best decision maker.

I think everything I look at isn't personal enough. I want something that evokes memories for me. Might be time to grab my sister and her camera. Road trip.
I love going to thrift stores or antique malls. There are often some wonderful inexpensive art pictures available. That way if you get tired of it, you can afford to switch to another bargain. I have over the years found lovely 40's-50's artwork, which has wonderful color and subject matter. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Yeah I am definitely leaning towards 1940s and 50s shots. Thinking of a sort of vintage montage in the whole livingroom, with the wall leading down the hallway being for my personal photos.

Totally not what I thought I would go for, I figured I'd have a beach up on the wall. And I'm not a fan of black and white, too cold and sterile, yet those are the prints I'm liking.

In the country so no palcce to go see pics in person, gonna have to find them online.

Heres what I'm liking so far. The Bowery, Noted as a Home for New York's Alcoholics, Prostitutes and the Homeless 1940s Photographic Print at AllPosters.com

People Walking on Busy 5th Avenue, NYC, c 1940S Photographic Print by George Marks at AllPosters.com

Grace Kelly, Mid 1950s Prints at AllPosters.com

Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM

Oh but now this one really calls me and it totally ruins the black and white theme

Gas, c.1940 Prints by Edward Hopper at AllPosters.com

see decisions, they are my downfall.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,557,096 times
Quote:
Yes! Keep looking. You'll know it when you see it.

I was strolling through an indoor farmer's market, and they had an art/framing stall. This painting by Dean Mitchell was hanging up, and it really struck me. It reminded me SO much of the house I grew up in. I didn't like the frame it was in, but they quickly switched it out.

I bought this print by Wyeth, because it reminded me of my old garage, and Cosmos are my favorite flower. I had another of his hanging in my bedroom, because I had a very similar bed and bedspread. They all "spoke" to me.

I've also bought beautiful old sheet music -- I wanted to get a frame that I could easily switch them out, according to the holiday. (still on my to-do list).

So, take your time, enjoy the hunt. And call your sister -- sounds like fun!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,557,096 times
Quote:
Oh but now this one really calls me and it totally ruins the black and white theme
The BW pics are all so unique! And I think the color Hopper would look striking, with all of the BW.

Also, it's February. Are they still selling calendars in stores? One year I bought a bunch of calendars for a song since it was past January, and framed some of the prints that I liked. A set of four prints, either in a square or horizontally would look interesting.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM

50,021 posts, read 63,359,544 times
Go to art.com. If you can't find something there, you just aren't trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating