Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times

Advertisements

i think the very easiest thing you could do that would make it look nicer would be to install a window in it. maybe a many pained window or a really old one for interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd tear that whole wall out and open up the entire area with a large entrance into the kitchen area.

Keep in mind, you'll have a flooring issue to resolve.
+1, agree... tear out the wall all the way to the edge of the basement door casing. Of course, will need to make sure that it's not a load bearing wall on the corner.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
take the ugly wooden things out from above the door.

regarding the window thing, cover with dry wall and paint. it is ugly and un necessary, it shouldnt have of even been there in the first place.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Hmmmmm.....I personally would do one of two things. I would either drywall it and repaint OR I would remove the spindles and all of the wood and have either an etched or frosted glass or a stained glass put in the area (pick out colors and designs that compliment your home). It looks like you do get some light into the room with that opening - and I personally like that in the kitchen. The way it is reminds me of 1970 - I can almost see some green plastic vinery curling up those spindles!! You know - it has been there for 25 years, it isn't horrible, and you could just leave it be. Up to you!!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
The way it is reminds me of 1970 - I can almost see some green plastic vinery curling up those spindles!! You know - it has been there for 25 years, it isn't horrible, and you could just leave it be. Up to you!!
Haha! I just had a flash-forward moment: it's the year 2070 and the couple purchasing the home shake their heads in disgust and say, "Why did those people in the 2010s have to destroy everything that gave these homes any character?! That's okay, though, we will restore it to its former glory- now let's see if we can find some of those cool wooden spindles they used to have back in the day!" lol ya never know!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM

82 posts, read 141,034 times
Thanks for all the great ideas everybody.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I would open up the entire wall, have a open stairway to the basement and the open floorplan. I would relocate the basement door/stairs to the other side of the wall. It's just poor planning as is. Expensive though. Take the bars out at minimum.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Key question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonMan View Post
It is the door to the basement. That is an interesting idea I didn't think of. I like it.
IF (and this is a HUGE change so you might want to consider it slowly...) you could change the door to the basement so that it opened to the family room ( about where that duct in the low part of the wall is now...) then you could SIGNIFICANTLY increase the functional space in the kitchen. This is not by itself super costly (maybe a hour of HVAC duct man work, half a day of carpenter's time, half a day for drywall and painters...) so with materially probably under - thousand dollar BUT TO REALLY maximize the value you would need to redo the peninsula in the kitchen and change out cabinet and counters and that could get pricey...

Personally the spindle are the worst of possible options -- sorta like backless shelves as room dividers as that way you can get some functional display / storage space and they would very inexpensive project but without knowing what sorts of furniture layout / uses you plan not sure what makes sense to spend money on...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
The spindles are the worst.
Take out as much of the wall as you could, right up to the basement door
Use it as a formal dining room
Get nicer doors on both doors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating