Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times

Advertisements

Atriums are viewed very strictly from a fire suppression, smoke control, and fire sprinkler design standpoint. So, while you may have concerns, all these items are addressed in the engineering phase of a project and then reviewed by the fire marshal and code officials on the job in the US and I am sure it is similar in other countries with decent building codes (most are based on the International Building Codes anyway).

Now, I'm not saying that everything always works as intended as there are accidents and miscalculations now and then, but I am saying that it's not like these designs come with a big mystery or that you should be concerned about a building being a fire accelerator or something. In general, the engineers working with organizations like NFPA and who design the actual systems know a lot more about the physics side of fire control, suppression, and extinguishing than talking to a fireman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
fun to read How to survive a trip to IKEA | Squawkfox
gives a new meaning to the Ikea shopping trip

Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 PM

249 posts, read 473,569 times
Ikea does storage really well I have a set of expedite bookcases from them and duvet. I like there cafe you can get egg toast coffee and sausage for 1.99. Many of there cafe items are delicious, ikea's mentality is so that there workers can eat while at work and they don't have to leave the store. I also have an ikea bed, it is not bad but it has been relegated to a guest bed, it is too low to the ground now (5years later)it is a platform bed.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Our Expedite (dark brown) bookcases have scratches all over it even though its in the area next to wall and out of traffic. We didn't move it and it was on the same place for at least 3 years now.

After I went to our local Ikea in one of these days when they give extra discount for floor model and/or returned goods and saw how many were in such a bad shapes I decided not to buy anything there anymore.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
It just depends on the pieces. Some are good, some are decent, and some are not good. The pieces we have are all still in great shape.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
I liked Ikea stuff when I was in college. Now, I like some of the housewares stuff (they have great resealable bottles for a home brewer) but I wouldn't really want any of the furniture in my house.

One great thing about Ikea furniture from the perspective of a college student or other person who has to move often is that it is very light. I carried my old Ikea armoire down several flights of steps by myself, while the similar sized one that I have now takes three strong guys to move. The solid wood stuff is decently sturdy, but some of the laminate stuff is pretty much styrofoam.

My ex wife loved Ikea, so I was sure to make sure she took all of it with her with the divorce.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
I love Ikea duvet covers! Very good quality, and so reasonably priced.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM

167 posts, read 304,069 times
I love IKea ,Great place to pick up some decent stuff as for china O well if we could make it here we still have the plants open but thanks to unions , they when over sea, Many of the things are great for the first time home/apt s reasonable and easy to put together, we had have some book cases over 6 yr now been thur several children room etc and after repaint they ready to for few more years. Now for the meat ball,I saw the story and read yes in some area of the world people eat many things we do not here in the USA that all part of life. As in Any store it is a choice to shop ,Yes the store id laied out drifferent from most store,You can get lost/over stressed,But you can just ask for help and they are very helpful,I found out that way ,Once you rout just don go back ,I shop at the one near DC and the One in NC. Couple time a year ,I look on line then I know what I going for. It is a good place to shop and hire lots of local people .

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I love Ikea. I love the names of their products. I have a Poang chair and a Malm dresser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We've had some Ikea chairs for about 12 years now, and they seem well built. They still look pretty good.
My solid pine Ikea kitchen table, purchased by my father-in-law when my mother-in-law threw him out, is at least 25 years old. I love it, and it's as sturdy as the $600 table in the dining room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
I needed. needed. needed to leave the store Right NOW. I wonder if they have a name for customers like me and a procedure to handle them in their employee manual.
Paranoid?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
I loved Ikea when I was just starting out, but eventually I swore I would never buy anything white from Ikea again. I just broke that promise a couple weeks ago. The big, old 90's wood entertainment center is out, along with the fat tv, and the new white Ikea Besta with gray-turquoise doors is in!! I couldn't find anything I like as much anywhere else. Similar to this one-- http://www.ikea.com/ms/media/categor...ds_520x350.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating