Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the replies. Well...I think I found something. I dunno. I did order them but they can be returned so Im gonna see how they look in the room. Im kind of at the point now where Im over thinking it. Not sure if anything would make me happy. I got a flyer from a chain furniture store earlier today. As I was tossing it in the recycle bin, I noticed they had a small section on a new line of accent furniture they are now selling. Chests, mirrored nightstands, coat racks etc. The stuff was pretty cute. I had a few hours to kill before work so I drove there. I came across a chest that caught my eye. Its unique and not really what I was looking for. My bed is black and my dressers are dark as well so I was looking for nightstands with a pop of color or even white. The dims of these chests I found are perfect. There is even a pull out shelf which is nice. They cost 299 but with me haggling and them offering some coupon deal thing, I got them for 217 each. They are sturdy, nice finish and drawers open and close nicely. I was actually surprised that they were pretty decent. The lettering is an off white and nicely done in person. Im gonna pick them up tomorrow and see if they work in the room. It wasnt really the direction I was going for but I actually have a stack of art that I got a few years ago of sketches and vintage photos of various places around the world. I didnt have a place for them but maybe I will now. The names are from the PNW. I guess I could go for a umm...worldly theme? :think

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
If you decide to keep them, please post pictures of your finished room. I'd love to see how they work out!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
I really like that! It will look great with the vintage photos. My nightstand has a pull out shelf just like that and it's nice to not have to push the candles and framed photo out of the way to set a drink or book down. Unfortunately I usually sleep on the opposite side of the bed haha.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
This is a interesting thread. I do woodworking has a hobby and I typically build my own furniture. I purchased my night stands from the Pier One outlet store for $30 each. They were exactly what I wanted and it was cheaper to buy them than make them.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
How far away is the nearest Pottery Barn? Maybe you could make a weekend trip and pick them up? I miss being able to go to Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, and Crate and Barrel, so one of these days we will take a little shopping trip to Atlanta or Charleston.

Oops, I missed that you already bought some. If they don't work out, try Overstock.com. they have over 300+ nightstands and free shipping.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
somewhere online I think Decorating there is a slide show on alternatives to nightstands the one I remember seeing is someone using a very smal size coffee table as a nightstand
Yes-I've also seen floating shelves used-easy to get the right height that way too.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Tommy Bahama Kingston collection - about 500 bucks a piece.
Goes with our bed and dresser.

Not what i wanted to pay, but it's what it cost for the look we were going for.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
Y'all would kill me dead if I told you how much I spent on my BR suit. And, that was 17 years ago. It did take us about 5 years to get all the pieces. That furniture costs more than anything else in my entire house but will last several life times! It is all matchy, except for the TV amoire (sp). Found a great deal on a queen bed a few weeks ago. Solid word with engraving on headboard and footboard. Rails are all solid. Got it for $240 at a consignment shop. All 3 of my children are begging for it - no one has ever asked about the "good" stuff.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My nightstand was free. It was my grandmother's, then was a side table in my parents' den, and is back to being a nightstand again after I appropriated it when I moved out of my parents' house.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Nothing . Well, $15 for the one on DH's side of the bed I guess. My nightstand is an antique that was my Grandmothers. DH's I found at a garage sale. I agree, the quality of the nightstands, especially any drawers, is just not there for what you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating