Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 AM

102 posts, read 305,776 times

Advertisements

We had to go and select our floors yesterday. The builder has only so many choices, so we did not like any of the level 1 oak, hardwood colors (very light) and also the fact that they are narrow strips and we like wide planks.

So level 2 you can hardwood but they are little wider than level 1. and we has a choice of darker color I believe it was mocha which was shiny and the floor rep said that the builder discontinued because too many scratches could be seen on that color, but he could still get it for us ($200-$500 more than level 1)

then we saw level 3, which had dark colors and wide planks but the floors rep said that wider hardwood floors cup and something else that that don't have longer warranties or something but the builder would cover it.

Then he showed us engineered hardwood (level 3) wide 5" planks and were had the hand-scraped look and in dark colors. We really loved it and went with that.($1500-$2000 more than level 1)

for the rooms that we selected level 1 was coming out to be about $4800, level 2 was about $$5600 and level 3 about $ 6800.

Now I am thinking did we make the right choice going with engineered floors.

Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
"Did I make the right choice - Engineered floors"(?)

From the information given- who knows!

Price point of the house?
How much sq/ft?
What rooms?
Manufacturer? Warranty?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 AM

102 posts, read 305,776 times
House is for $370000, area foyer kitchen and morning room, powder and mud room.

The builder does not price per sq ft. It's in tiers and per room.
Bruce hardwood lifetime warranty.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Here's what I can tell you-

Bruce is probably the standard by which almost every flooring contractor uses for pre-finished flooring. That in itself speaks volumes.
As for the pricing; you'll need to do some math but it's relatively easy to figure a sq/ft price with one material by backing out the standard over the upgrade price.
Your locations sound pretty typical except for the mud room- wouldn't tile be more appropriate?

As for price point- I wasn't actually meaning the sale price (sale prices for "X" house can vary all across the country) but, if this house is in your zip Odessa, DE that price puts you in the top bracket of price point. So, is adding these upgrades common within this price point? Or could you be pricing yourself out of the market?

Only your buyer agent will know for sure; they're the ones who have the pulse of what the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly are. And if you don't have a buyers agent, and you've already signed the contract well...
Good luck-

Although new housing is starting to turn the wheel again, it's not what it used to be- nor will it ever. So, even today negotiating power is "King"! And that's what good buyer agents do!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,252 times
NO idea...

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
We had to go and select our floors yesterday. The builder has only so many choices, so we did not like any of the level 1 oak, hardwood colors (very light) and also the fact that they are narrow strips and we like wide planks.

So level 2 you can hardwood but they are little wider than level 1. and we has a choice of darker color I believe it was mocha which was shiny and the floor rep said that the builder discontinued because too many scratches could be seen on that color, but he could still get it for us ($200-$500 more than level 1)

then we saw level 3, which had dark colors and wide planks but the floors rep said that wider hardwood floors cup and something else that that don't have longer warranties or something but the builder would cover it.

Then he showed us engineered hardwood (level 3) wide 5" planks and were had the hand-scraped look and in dark colors. We really loved it and went with that.($1500-$2000 more than level 1)

for the rooms that we selected level 1 was coming out to be about $4800, level 2 was about $$5600 and level 3 about $ 6800.

Any suggestions

Then you made the right choice for YOU.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
You should have picked the CHEAPEST floors included in the base price of the home and then RIPPED THEM OUT after settlement. The builder markeup on flooring and upgrades is ridiculous. You would save THOUSANDS going to a flooring store instead.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
If it is a new home I hope that when it was built they used modern methods..that consist of "glue and screw" Meaning that the plywood under the underlay is screwed and glued to the joists. This provides a floor that will last forever and never move or squeak...as for engineered floors...providing you have a good base as I just mentioned - use the real thing...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Any suggestions
Go back and fix your error.
Even if you will put carpet down... have real hardwood floors.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Go back and fix your error.
Even if you will put carpet down... have real hardwood floors.
So you're saying you'd rather have carpet than engineered hardwood floors?? I disagree. I really have no idea why so many people are against engineered hardwoods. The top layer (and not a typical veneer-thing layer entire) is solid, real hardwood. We got ours done and love them. They sound the same as hardwood (ie not like laminate), and ours is thick enough to be sanded and refinished once (i know because I have helped a friend do his a couple months ago now) which should be PLENTY seeing how we have 0 visible scratches on the floor from us or our dog 8 months later. We also were able to get a wider plank than we would have been able to in a solid floor with the length of runs we needed. For all intents and purposes, engineered hardwood is "real hardwood" and can be listed as such on an MLS listing; it's just not a solid SLAB of real hardwood

I doubt 95% of the people who we could bring into our house would be able to tell the difference between pre-finished solid hardwood and the pre-finished engineered we have down. The people that installed our floors also just installed several thousand square feet up at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville (really nice hotel) and they had a guy come back out and take pics of our house to use a few weeks after installation because they liked the Birch product we picked so much and they do floors in a lot of nice houses for a living.

What horrific drawbacks do people on here foresee other than not being able to sand and refinish multiple times? (and really, people put WAY too much emphasis on that...how many of you have put down floors and then sanded and refinished them multiple times while living in the house?).

I really don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating