Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times

Advertisements

Yes his site covers a plethora of nostalgia including comic book covers, kitchen and food ads. I've listened to him sporadically over the years but never knew of this site.

There are plenty room designs that could be edited just a bit to be stunning. Some of the art is pretty odd but considering the times understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
There's only one word to sum up the décor of the 70s - UGLY
Not so; read the entire thread. You're the first person to use the word "ugly", aside from the author of the blog.

Quote:
I also almost like this one - and honestly, maybe I lit up the doobie too early this morning (JOKE, moderators!), but I like that shiny whatever it is on the ceiling!
Kathryn, I stared at that photo for a good long time (without a doobie, LOL), until I figured out that it was the contrast of the antique floor radio with all that black and white that was tickling my brain.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
A lot of the "ugliness" of these photos comes from the interesting quality of color photos in the 60s and 70s. Everything looks grainy, washed out, and dingy. However a lot of rooms would look significantly different if they were captured at the period using good black-and-white photography, or now using even a cheap digital camera.

Compare the two photos of the (in)famous Miller House conversation pit. Granted, this house was always beautiful, but the 60s color photos were decidedly more "blah."

And the second photo isn't even a particularly high-quality one. A good white balance is tough with all that white interior.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
agreed completely mcguirk.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
The guy just scanned it in himself from an old printed book, so yes it is going to have lesser quality. I. and most others that have posted here, think most of the elements are fabulous. The author is doing a bit, he is having fun with the pictures and not taking design seriously. But hey, bonus for me to have found it.

mcguirk Wonderful picture you found, where did you find it? Is there more?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not so; read the entire thread. You're the first person to use the word "ugly", aside from the author of the blog.

Kathryn, I stared at that photo for a good long time (without a doobie, LOL), until I figured out that it was the contrast of the antique floor radio with all that black and white that was tickling my brain.
Not so? Because some people like it? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am entitled to my opinion, even if it differs from others. I grew up in that era and ALWAYS thought the look was ugly. Glad you like it, though.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The guy just scanned it in himself from an old printed book, so yes it is going to have lesser quality. I. and most others that have posted here, think most of the elements are fabulous. The author is doing a bit, he is having fun with the pictures and not taking design seriously. But hey, bonus for me to have found it.

mcguirk Wonderful picture you found, where did you find it? Is there more?
I agree, the scanning isn't helping any either. The characteristics I described are common to color photography up until the mid-late 80s. There's a lack of depth and clarity that can deceive.

Those photos are of the Miller House and Garden in Columbus, IL, near Chicago. Designed by Eero Saarinen with textiles from Alexander Girard. My fiance and I are planning a roadtrip to visit Fallingwater and this house late this summer!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Oh, Lordy, that pit group makes me drool! It is the height of awesome audacity. Or the height of audacious awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am entitled to my opinion, even if it differs from others. I grew up in that era and ALWAYS thought the look was ugly.
You're absolutely right, as long as our opinions are not projected onto everyone else.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
...wonder what James' protege' will say in 40 years about today's designs?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
It's funny how these 70s styles feel both futuristic (in a Logan's Run/Sleeper sort of way), and dated. I also have to confess a nostalgic admiration for some of the shaggy ethnic stuff --- our style has been described as "hippyish" --- but admittedly it's too cluttered and busy.

I can't help but wonder what folks will make of today's decorating styles in forty years. Every sofa and bedframe that isn't a minimalist backbreaker looks like an dark-stained prop from a Tuscan villa period piece !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating