Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times

Advertisements

LILEKS (James) :: Interior Desecrators

Better Homes and Garden Decorating Book 1975
With tongue in cheek comments from the collector. Hey, I like some of these
Attached Thumbnails
Ugly rooms for the Beautiful People by James Lileks-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Some awesome stuff indeed. The late 60s and early 70s were heady times.

My objections are small -- but then again I'm able to see the good points of all decorating styles: not too crazy about too much red to the point where it seems oppressive, and I still don't like that heavy Mediterranean-style furniture that was so popular in the early 70s (but my aunt furnished her entire house with it, and who am I to tell her she doesn't have a beautiful home?).

The one picture of the entryway with the Marimekko wallpaper?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Awesome is the word, indeed! I started out laughing, but you know what? I kinda admire the way people had fun with their decorating back then. Decorating today is so sterile, so serious, so... cookie cutter. Maybe we could use a little more shagedellic fun. Yeah, baby.

OK, OK, the mirrors on the ceiling were maybe a bit over the top and the metallic wallpaper with the humongous intersecting geometric shapes is pretty laughable. And I have a hard time believing anyone actually hung red striped wallpaper hung in two different directions with blue stars underneath. Still.... some of the other rooms looked ok to me. I agree with Ohio Girl, Marimekko wallpaper gets an from me. And I especially liked that gold wallpaper in the dining room--wouldn't mind seeing that come back into fashion. As an accent, not the whole room, but I like it.

We still have our leather Hugh Hefner chair with ottoman. The one that looked like an Eames chair but cost a lot less at your neighborhood Danish furniture store. It's not quite as groovy without the other mod furniture around it, but I refuse to give it up because it's really comfortable and all these years later we still think it looks good.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-29-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Couple observations:

1) I don't think the author has ever sat in an Eames lounge chair! They make fun of it for being uncomfortable and they are super comfy!
2) With a tad bit of decluttering, I really like this space: http://lileks.com/institute/interiors/BHG/chpt5/5.html
3) There are a lot of hideous spaces here though! haha

Last edited by Sunbather; 04-29-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
And I especially liked that gold wallpaper in the dining room--wouldn't mind seeing that come back into fashion. As an accent, not the whole room, but I like it.
Less is definitely more with bold (and/or loud ) design. A lot of that wallpaper, and lamps, etc., are fun, but you wouldn't want it in every corner of every room.

I still have a Marimekko jewelry box from fifth grade, tragically covered with stickers and whatnot (what do you expect from an 11-year-old? ), but I still love it!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Less is definitely more with bold (and/or loud ) design. A lot of that wallpaper, and lamps, etc., are fun, but you wouldn't want it in every corner of every room.
Yup, yup and yup--absolutely agree! That's why accent walls were so big back then.

On the other hand.... I can see a certain appeal for having that one room where they put the exact same busy pattern on everything to the extreme (including the walls, chairs, drapes, doors etc. and even covering the artwork.)

Just think of the advantages of having a room like that! I could get a robe made up of that fabric, and then when I lay down on the couch to take a nap nobody could find me! If I need a break from the grandkids I could stand against the wall and they might have to search for me for days!

Hmmmm.... I might just have to get me a room like that....

Last edited by Caladium; 04-29-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM

OK, decided to find some links. This is the room where I'd get a matching robe and then when the kids want me to settle some argument I could stand against the wall and hide!

This is the chair we still have to this day. Ours has a matching ottoman. I'd be more than happy having a room like this in my house, by the way:

This is the red, white and blue room. Hilarious, but did anybody actually put up wallpaper this way?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:

This is the chair we still have to this day. Ours has a matching ottoman. I'd be more than happy having a room like this in my house, by the way:

Those chairs are gorgeous, classy, and comfy. Don't ever sell it. But if you do, let me know

Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
The room has a spaceship feel to it for me. And I have an aversion to red.

Quote:
OK, decided to find some links. This is the room where I'd get a matching robe and then when the kids want me to settle some argument I could stand against the wall and hide!

This is the red, white and blue room. Hilarious, but did anybody actually put up wallpaper this way?

I wish someone warned me. My eyes! I think I'd have a seizure walking in these rooms. Makes my head hurt just looking at them. LOL.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Isn't this site crazy fun? This guy is a local radio host who really doesn't ever talk about interior design. I found it researching a local statue at a defunct restaurant. He is very funny but not very accurate, especially about the Eames lounge chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating