Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Never line up the furniture against the wall like they are ready for the firing squad.
That's a very funny way of putting it, and is true in many cases. But never say never. Furniture against walls certainly does work in some rooms.

I believe that OPs room is not one of those rooms. To me having the sofa tucked into that odd area next to the corner pillar thing looks quite wrong. OP, don't view pulling out your sofa as "wasting square footage." It would be maximizing it, in terms of making your space look balanced.

Pull out the sofa, maybe put a very skinny decorative table, with a tall potted plant (or other decor) sitting on it to fill in the wall space, in the spot where the sofa is. And yes I know you said you're a minimalist. I am too. But there's a difference between decorating as a minimalist, and not decorating at all (which just makes a room stark and drab).

As far as the pillar thing.....I believe that ignoring it (that is, just leaving it as it is) will make it continue to look "out of place." It needs a purpose. It might work to paint it a darker color, then place a tall floor lamp in front of it, such as:
Lite Source LS-80700 3-Light Bess Floor Lamp - Lighting Universe

Or you could add 3 or 4 very small framed prints up each side, in a perfectly vertical line. Or perhaps mount some modern looking wood shelves (one on one side, and two on the other) and place small potted plants or other decor.

That corner definitely needs some beautification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I would pull the love seat out even with that pop out wall, get a sofa table for behind it and put plants on it, I like a lot of greenery and the table behind the loveseat near the window will do the trick.. It will also disguise the pop out wall that you do not like. It probably is something structural. I have similar, but not as big....so I was still able to get sectional...

but like all the posters say, never shove furniture up against the wall, it is OK to free float a couch...

I think the TV is too high, but then, i hate flat screens mounted on the wall.

I also like the couch facing the window, but then it absolutely needs a sofa table behind it so that is what you will see when entering the room instead of the back of a couch.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I agree. Pull the sofa away from the long wall and put a sofa table behind it with some much needed lighting. Now you have really eliminated the problem of the bump out.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes, the console behind the couches are needed to function. And the consoles can be minimalist as well. Being minimalist doesn't mean you don't decorate or put objects in the room, they are just well chosen and placed.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I like your room, crown molding and nice wood floors.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM

133 posts, read 175,315 times
Off topic since I have no clue about decorating. But, that is a great sofa. Can I ask where you got it?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
JMO but I think you need some height. Everything all on one level is kinda boring.
If you put the TV in a tall unit on the bump out wall that would "fill in the space".
Then you could wrap the existing TV wall corner with the sofas like you wanted.
And replace the TV with a nice painting.

Also it looks like having sofa out in middle closes things off. I could be wrong tho.
Not sure whats in rest of room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating