Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tip!

I just found out there's a restaurant supply store not too far from my office, so I'm going to try and swing by there on my lunch hour, to have a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
I cook everyday in a fairly small kitchen and find myself feeling aggravated if I have to move anything out of the way to prepare a meal, so there is absolutely nothing on my counters but a small dish by the sink for my wedding ring.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM

Here's what I did today; the tins will be stored upright in a drawer. I'm about halfway thru my spices, and have my old spice racks in the donate pile. Tins are about 1.5" tall and 2.5" square. The small drawer next to my stove will hold 56 tins. Th drawer was so shallow that I wasn't really using it previously, so this is a huge win in terms of saving space!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
I like your spice tins. Plenty of room to stick a measuring spoon in them. I must be a bit of a neat freak given how everyone carries on about my alphabetized spices. But I think any system that enables a cook to get things quickly is a boon to the kitchen. I store things as close as possible to where I use them, with the most-used items on the low shelf and things put higher the less they are used.

The only things that sit on my counter are the toaster with a bread box next to it, a coffeemaker that has a built-in grinder, and a roll of paper towels. I don't like anything else being out, because I live in Arizona where it's very dusty. I wipe off the toaster and coffeemaker every time I use them, so they don't collect dust. I even dislike the Shaker-style cabinets that came with the house because dust collects on the doors. If I ever replace them, it will be be with flat doors with no detailing.

My current kitchen has a breakfast bar and I like being able to look out into the rest of the house. But for efficiency, the most useful kitchen I ever had was a small galley. I could reach everything in just a couple of steps. People assumed it was a problem to me since I like to cook, but from my point of view it was very practical.

This is my latest favorite organizer in my kitchen. Amazon.com: Copco 2555-0187 Non-Skid 2-Tier Cabinet Turntable, 12-Inch: Home & Kitchen
I have single turntables, too, made by OXO Softworks and they are also very practical, even in the fridge.

Here's a restaurant supply website I found recently that is intriguing. I haven't bought anything yet, so I'm not vouching for them, but they have anything I could ever imagine buying. Restaurant Supplies, Restaurant Supply at The Webstaurant Store

Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 AM

The fact I can get a tablespoon into the tins was one of the major reasons I did that little project.

I alphabetize mine, too.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I never saw the point to alphabetizing spices. I keep the ones I use most up front and accessible.

Which just goes to show there is not one right way... we all gotta do what works best for us!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Here's what I did today; the tins will be stored upright in a drawer. I'm about halfway thru my spices, and have my old spice racks in the donate pile. Tins are about 1.5" tall and 2.5" square. The small drawer next to my stove will hold 56 tins. Th drawer was so shallow that I wasn't really using it previously, so this is a huge win in terms of saving space!
Love the photo! Will you be adding a little label on top to identify them or can you tell what they all are just by looking? (I couldn't!)

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Love the photo! Will you be adding a little label on top to identify them or can you tell what they all are just by looking? (I couldn't!)
Yup, there a clear label with black text on top. You can't really see them in the photo, but they're visible enough when you're looking at the tins.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Yup, there a clear label with black text on top. You can't really see them in the photo, but they're visible enough when you're looking at the tins.
I see the labels on the sides ... there's another label on top? Or will they be ON their sides in the drawer so you can read the label?

Sorry, just trying to picture it ... I have a lot of spices that I use regularly and I am thinking something like this might work nicely ...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM

I already added a clear label on top. I'll snap a closeup pic when I get home.

My current plan is to store these standing up on their side, so the white label will be visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating