Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You have a TV in your bedroom?
Yes 49 50.52%
No 48 49.48%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times

Advertisements

We have televisions in almost every room except our bedroom. In fact the only electronic device, in our bedroom, besides the lights, is a wireless stereo, which usually has rain and thunder tracts playing. Sometimes we like ocean waves.

We do have a television in the guest room. If one of us is ill we can sleep in there and enjoy the tv while recuperating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
My husband and I DO have a TV in our bedroom, and we enjoy it. We both really like our little nightly routine of tucking in and watching HGTV's House Hunters and House Hunters International together. We also like to listen to the news/watch it as we're getting dressed in the morning.

We probably watch that TV about two hours a day max. But it's nice to have it there and no - before anyone asks - it doesn't negatively affect errr, ANY other areas of our life!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I dated my husband, I didn't even have cable. I only got two channels clearly and one was WQED. My husband always complained that I needed cable. That should have been a clue that he was a TV addict. For the past twenty years, the TV has driven me nuts because I always played music prior to moving here. My stereos were stored in the attic for years simply because they were never turned on. Fortunately, my husband started a new career about 8 years ago that requires lots of traveling. I've never been happier because I get to live MY WAY a portion of the week now. That sounds bad. I wouldn't trade him for the world. I just enjoy having a quiet, peaceful environment sometimes. The stuff he watches puzzles me too----totally mindless garbage.

As for the intellectuals, all the ones I know own one TV and they all keep it in the bedroom. That's where they watch the news at bedtime and in the morning, perhaps an occasional movie at night. Keeping it in the bedroom controls how much access the children have to the TV.
My husband works out of town a lot and when he's not home, the only time I turn on the TV is to watch movies he wouldn't care anything about on Netflix - or if there's some huge news story. If I'm really into a book, the TV might not be on the entire time he's gone (sometimes that's weeks!).

He's always been more into TV than me. Until I met him, I always only had one TV - in the den or living room, hidden behind a cabinet door. Now we have a big flat screen in the living room, the den, and smaller ones in one of the guest bedrooms, the master, and the office!

Oh - I forgot - I DO watch the one in the office when he's gone, because our treadmill is in there and I can't stand to get on a treadmill without having something to watch. I get bored out of my mind and all I can think about is "How many more minutes do I have to do this?" unless I have the TV on.

If it were up to me, I'd do away with the ones in the master and the one in the living room, but it's not up to just me - and it's also not a big deal to me either way. Pick your battles, ya know?

Before I met him, I never watched TV in the bedroom. Now I do when he's home, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I can even go to sleep with the TV on - which amazes me but hey, it's all good if it comes to that! (Sometimes he'll get really into a show but he's more of a night owl than me, and I'd rather us both be in the bed together than him sitting in the den watching a movie while I'm asleep in the bedroom).

I just am not prone to sleep problems. In fact, speaking of prone - if I get in that position, I'm out like a light in 10 minutes anyway! No matter where I am. Airplane, sofa, day or night...ahhhhh....!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
i wanted to do a survey but have no idea how to on here...

i was going to convert a closet into a entertainment center with a TV ........ after telling a few personal friends and family off of CD I am finding out many if not most do not have a Tv in the bedroom.

I like to hear if you do or dont and if you do how much do you use it. thanks
I don't have a TV at all, but if I did, no way would it be in the bedroom.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM

59 posts, read 145,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dude. You should get one like in the last hotel I was at - a tv in the bathroom mirror. Like it was seamlessly in the mirror. That was pretty cool and you don't give up any space.
lol yeah i went to niagara falls a month ago and there was a flat screen in our bath room, it was like really small though. i was sitting on the toilet watching tv most of the time. i don't recommend touching the remote though it is disgusting in any bath room.

And Yes, I do have a TV in my room. Although i only watch it to see sports games. This season i am watching hockey. Go Ottawa Senators I hope you beat freakin Pittsburgh!!!!!! (For once at least)

Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM

59 posts, read 145,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I DO have a TV in our bedroom, and we enjoy it. We both really like our little nightly routine of tucking in and watching HGTV's House Hunters and House Hunters International together. We also like to listen to the news/watch it as we're getting dressed in the morning.

We probably watch that TV about two hours a day max. But it's nice to have it there and no - before anyone asks - it doesn't negatively affect errr, ANY other areas of our life!

I love House Hunters, it is so interesting to watch seeing all of the nice homes.... and the peoples reaction
to the crappy ones lol...

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We have had a TV in our bedroom for about 27 years. At present it sits high on a wall shelf.

I think your idea is quite nice.

It is your house, and you can do with it whatever makes you happy. Go for it!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
TV in my room, yes!!!

TV in the kids rooms? NO!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
No TV in my bedroom either. Haven't had that in unteen yrs & don't plan too.

I'd rather watch in the main room (or wherever the TV is) & when I'm tired/sleepy, just walk to my bedroom t go to sleep.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
i wanted to do a survey but have no idea how to on here...

i was going to convert a closet into a entertainment center with a TV ........ after telling a few personal friends and family off of CD I am finding out many if not most do not have a Tv in the bedroom.

I like to hear if you do or dont and if you do how much do you use it. thanks
Depends on how you define "having a tv".

I have no television sets.

However, my computer is in the bedroom (apt. dweller here), and that's where I get all my tv shows from.
My media center is a Mac mini computer w/an HP 23" flat monitor.
I use it constantly, but during middle of day I use it to listen to music more than watch tv programs (which I tend to do later at night).
If you still use your tv a lot & expect to in future, then it makes sense to integrate that into your setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating