U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,384 times

Advertisements

We have a gas fireplace (red) on one side of our family room and a wood fireplace (black) on the other corner of the room. In preparation of selling the house we need opinions on if we should leave them both be or take one of them out (likely the wood fireplace).

If you were a buyer and walked into this room what would you want to see regarding these two fireplaces? Apologize for Iphone picture quality.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM

3,479 posts, read 3,604,633 times
Personally, I would leave the black one. The red ones location doesn't do anything for the room. You don't say where you live but if it's in a colder climate, the black wood burner would do more to heat the room than the other one. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 PM

8,325 posts, read 14,401,626 times
Do they both work? Do you use one in (say) power outages because the other one won't work? I am curious as to why there are two in there to begin with.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,384 times
Thanks for the comments! Both the fireplaces work well. We live in a colder AZ climate so two fireplaces are undoubtably overkill for our family room but when we built our house we originally put the gas fireplace in then added the wood fireplace later on (it's much cheaper to run then the gas). It would be much easier to get rid of the wood then the gas.

Keep the comments coming please!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,345,932 times
I would keep both. I would change the focus away from the fireplaces toward a more brighter (in terms of color and light) room. You make be able to do this with paint (ceiling?).

Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM

891 posts, read 1,991,865 times
I don't think the fireplaces are the problem. You need to rearrange some furniture because the way the room is set up right now neither fireplace looks like it belongs. You could set up a reading nook near the wood fireplace and move the couches around to address the gas fireplace. If it were me I would store one couch (I see three?) and the treadmill before listing the house (maybe the pool table too).

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 PM

14,538 posts, read 54,820,443 times
K.I.S.S.
Two, is two too many! If one is easier to remove than the other then do it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 PM

27,981 posts, read 18,357,112 times
When we looked at homes last summer, high on our list was a gas fireplace. I'd ask a trusted realtor what he or she thinks about this. If it were me, I'd want the gas fireplace far more than the wood burning one. It seems that the wood burning stoves were a fad in the early eighties? So having one now, tends to date the house. But this is my opinion, and it might not be relevant to your situation.

I do agree that you need to arrange your furniture around one of them, if at all possible. The fireplace is usually the focal point of a room. The red stove looks like it is there simply to disseminate heat, but I like it the best. The other, bigger stove is located more logically, but I don't like its looks as well.

Yeah, I'd remove one of them. Consult with a successful local realtor before doing any work.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 10,138,521 times
I would remove the wood one, cause a gas fireplace is a definite plus to buyers these days.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 4,897,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
I don't think the fireplaces are the problem. You need to rearrange some furniture because the way the room is set up right now neither fireplace looks like it belongs. You could set up a reading nook near the wood fireplace and move the couches around to address the gas fireplace. If it were me I would store one couch (I see three?) and the treadmill before listing the house (maybe the pool table too).
I agree. However I would leave the pool table out because some like the idea of seeing an area with one in it.
The only thing I would maybe do is a coat of paint on the walls. Keep it neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating