Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
My house was built in 1970 and is "open concept." There were cabinets hanging over the peninsula separating the kitchen from the dining area and we eliminated those during our remodel, but when you walk in the front door you can see kitchen, dining area and living room. So open concept is definitely not a new idea.
Yep. Other than the fact that HGTV loves it currently, I don't get the hate toward open concept. It has been around for a LONG time and has been very popular for a long time, especially in the modern and contemporary design circles where it has been popular in residential design for probably 60 years. I think some people are just very used to the more "traditional" style of housing and so open concept seems trendy to them apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Yep. Other than the fact that HGTV loves it currently, I don't get the hate toward open concept. It has been around for a LONG time and has been very popular for a long time, especially in the modern and contemporary design circles where it has been popular in residential design for probably 60 years. I think some people are just very used to the more "traditional" style of housing and so open concept seems trendy to them apparently.
True.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house built in the 1960s. It did have a separate formal living and dining room (all one long room actually) and then it had a huge open den/dining/kitchen area. In fact, we lived in TWO houses with that very popular floor plan from that era, as I was growing up.

Oh, and stainless steel appliances were also in evidence during those years - but only in upper end homes. And back then we didn't have any of this "trendy" granite - most counter tops was either tile or Formica. And most appliances were either white, mustard yellow, or avocado green. Ahhhh, the good ol' days when we didn't have to deal with any of these awful "trends," right?

And just for the record, most new homes built in the 1960s and 1970s had popcorn ceilings which were only 8 feet tall.

My point is that every era brings it's own trends -it's absolutely unavoidable. But some have staying power and some don't. Open concept living and stainless steel appliances have had a very long run - I'd say they have surpassed the label of "trend." Granite countertops are popular for some very good reasons, and will probably be around awhile precisely because of those positives (personally I prefer some other options when it comes to the look - though I appreciate some aspects of granite).

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
True.

When I was a kid, we lived in a house built in the 1960s. It did have a separate formal living and dining room (all one long room actually) and then it had a huge open den/dining/kitchen area. In fact, we lived in TWO houses with that very popular floor plan from that era, as I was growing up.

Oh, and stainless steel appliances were also in evidence during those years - but only in upper end homes. And back then we didn't have any of this "trendy" granite - most counter tops was either tile or Formica. And most appliances were either white, mustard yellow, or avocado green. Ahhhh, the good ol' days when we didn't have to deal with any of these awful "trends," right?

And just for the record, most new homes built in the 1960s and 1970s had popcorn ceilings which were only 8 feet tall.

My point is that every era brings it's own trends -it's absolutely unavoidable. But some have staying power and some don't. Open concept living and stainless steel appliances have had a very long run - I'd say they have surpassed the label of "trend." Granite countertops are popular for some very good reasons, and will probably be around awhile precisely because of those positives (personally I prefer some other options when it comes to the look - though I appreciate some aspects of granite).
Very well said!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 AM

378 posts, read 761,075 times
This thread makes me laugh, because I just bought a house in spite of the fact that the countertops are white tile covered in handpainted pink and blue flowers and ribbons. It's my worst nightmare, lol! I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm looking forward to what the kitchen will look like when I'm done. And the sage green cupboards I'll have painted will be topped with a nice grey quartz countertop. Granite is way too busy for the vintage style of this kitchen.

Cutesy Victorian gingerbread already had a hot date with Mister Crowbar this week. That was incredibly satisfying. Next up, the white and brass light fixture that looks like it escaped from a demented ice cream parlor. I will save this kitchen from kitsch!

One more thing: Someone mentioned the stainless that doesn't show prints. I know some appliance companies call it Clean Steel (it's basically a laminated steel). I'm on my second Clean Steel fridge and will never buy anything else. So much easier to clean and less expensive than stainless! Plus I like the darker, almost pewterish color of it compared to stainless.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
It seems to me that home shows have become more about the 'quick fix' the crew comes in and totally changes a whole kitchen in no time at all. Gone at the days of Bob Vila and This old house where they acutally showed how to do the work and the workmanship that went into the finishes etc. Such a shame that everything has become so generic.
In less than a week, my lower cuppords were removed and replaced with new ones, the floor was covered with wood so I could retile over the existing floor, the stove was relocated and I got a new and wonderfully fuctional frig. The tile and lack of table are my problem. The table was so big it got given away. The little prep island has been expanded and can be used as one, but with all the rushing and mess and so forth, I'm not rushing to get it all shiny and done.

I wanted a WHITE countertop. Not fake marble white or fake granite white. Not metal but tile or just white. Lowes had quit selling the generic white countertops that were cheaper so it was done as a glue job. Lowes doesn't stock any premade one outside of fake granite in the now less than top notich brands.

Fake granite looks like, well, fake granite.

Frig is white but I do like the stainless sink.

The one heading up things did not like much that I requested changes in his cabinet that would make it identical to the old one. But he mostly did them. He did measure it origionally with a countertop and made the cabinet to that, then added another few inches with the top. So its now too tall but I really never want him setting foot inside my territory. But it is my firm belief that men should not design kitchens UNLESS they regularly cook meals in them. My table/island will be used for prep since the counter is too high now, but then the design ate up even more counter space.

Seeing as I was just glad to see the last of them and the mess they made of the rest of the house as stuff got moved in (and he needs to learn to measure) I don't want to ever remodel anything unless I design it and if it doesn't quite work out its my doing...

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Concrete is also starting to catch on. Some amazing things can be done with concrete that can't be easily done with granite or a lot of other materials.

You ought to see some of the counters and islands with sinks where the entire item is concrete. Not a seam anywhere, one flowing surface end to end. Talk about easy to clean. No bothering with the method used to put in the sink, it is part of the entire item. You'd never know it was concrete.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM

127 posts, read 318,168 times
One appliance manufacturer has created an alternative to stainless. It's designed to blend with the stones being used in modern kitchens. And no fingerprints! We will do this "slate" option when we reno next year.
Slate Appliances | GE Appliances

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Could we call this hard core decorating. I prefer a more friendly kitchen with white appliances. Trend away but white has always been with us and always will be.

Who wants their kitchen to remind them of a science lab. Kitchens are in homes.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Concrete is also starting to catch on. Some amazing things can be done with concrete that can't be easily done with granite or a lot of other materials.

You ought to see some of the counters and islands with sinks where the entire item is concrete. Not a seam anywhere, one flowing surface end to end. Talk about easy to clean. No bothering with the method used to put in the sink, it is part of the entire item. You'd never know it was concrete.
I would LOVE that.

I've also seen some really beautiful concrete vanities/sinks in powder rooms. Not long ago I saw one where the sink was shaped like a large nautilus shell, kind of like this. Not as easy to clean, but so pretty!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I watch House Hunters on a regular basis and it seems like everyone is always hung up on having granite counter tops and updated appliances. Like it could be the nicest house but if the kitchen doesn't have granite and stainless steel appliances then it's a total deal breaker and the couples or person house hunting gets all upset. What gives? I like granite and modern conveniences myself but I think marble counter tops look just as good and some laminate looks nice as well. And I personally can take or leave stainless steel appliances. That's just something I personally don't care about one way or another.
And some people do care about it, one way. Or the other way. We call those 'preferences'.

What gives is that some people have different ones than you. Why do some people find this so perplexing, the fact that their own preferences aren't the preferences of someone else? And why must it be portrayed as an using a word laden with negative connotations, 'obsession'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating