Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I could REALLY use some help and suggestions on some interior design and was hoping some of you may have some insight to share. For a little bit of a background, I am a 31 year old male who mostly has the same garage sale and hand-me-down stuff I had when I got out of school nearly a decade ago. I have started looking at many different sites and such for ideas but I am having a bit of a tough time with it. To top it off, I basically have the design skills of a turnip. Here is a little bit of information about my current place.

I recently moved into a one bedroom apartment. As I was unpacking and organizing, I realized I really have nothing for decor in my place. I have been trying to figure out what to do with the place but I am a bit at a loss. This is probably also due to the fact I have pretty varied tastes. I have found that I really like Asian design elements over the last few years. Particularly Japanese. However, I also enjoy more gothic and dark elements. Not exactly two styles that really mesh. Top this off with the fact I am a big technology and movie geek so I have computers and a book case full of movies in the living room as well.

Most of my current furniture and such is black and/or dark grey. That includes a large LCD tv on a black metal and glass stand, a recliner and couch. Then I have a random ligher brown bookcase from a garage sale, a black and silver computer desk and stand as well as a couple random brown tables. Yeah I know, ugly; and that is just the living room.

I would really like to move more toward the Japanese styles for my decor but I am a bit unsure how well that would work considering the already predominantly black coloring of my primary furniture and such. I also cannot really do anything about the black tv bezel and screen. I do not have anything as far as well decorations or photos/posters/artwork, etc. Pretty sparse really.

I am really hoping for some suggestions on how to move forward with making my place more than a post-college random furniture show.

Thank you for taking the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I think the black is a good place to start. for an asian influence add pops of red. get rid of all the crap, organize what you do have. you will need a way to organize your movie collection. keeping stuff like that neat or behind doors will help to keep your room with a neater look.

try to stay with just a few colors. I would do your black, red and say an apple green. get an area rug with one or two of your colors in it. look for a nice size picture or print that also has the same colors in it. make sure the print fits the wall. don't put a small picture on a big wall or a too big of a picture on a too small wall. look around some magazines you will get the idea. stay simple and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. good luck

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Turnip Designing 101- (or "monkey see, monkey do)

Japanese Style Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My daughter's bedroom is done in an Asian theme, and she has black furniture.

To start with, you should get rid of any particle board furniture that doesn't match the rest...the light brown bookcase should go in a closet or another room. The brown tables should be repainted if they're nice enough, or replaced if not. For the movie collection, a bookcase like this EXPEDIT Shelving unit - black-brown - IKEA would be nice. You can buy doors, drawers or fabric bins for some of the sections and use those to store the movies.

When we were decorating my daughter's room, we found some great stuff on craigslist. Often people will sell a bunch of Asian-themed room decorations as a lot.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
How about searching interior, asian, black. I found some nice rooms to get some ideas from:
Interior Asian Black Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,851 times
Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,165 times
For a couple hundred dollars, you could get an interior designer over to give you some good ideas. Hiring an interior designer was some of the best $$ I ever spent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating