Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

What are some things you have been drooling over or have been wanting to buy for awhile?

I have found that I dislike most bedding. I find most of it hideous. I wish there were more prints that weren't floral-based because I'm not into flowers. And I hate white but I ended up buying this after fruitlessly searching:

Silent Woods Cotton 3-piece Duvet Cover Set | Overstock.com (I ordered the one in gray.)

Because the duvet cover seems to get dirty so easily, I have been really wanting this:

Moonflower Duvet Cover | west elm

Last edited by city living; 06-19-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I would really like to have a massive hand-crafted mission/art & crafts dining room table/chairs and china hutch.

The ones I have seen and like would set me back 30-50 grand.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would really like to have a massive hand-crafted mission/art & crafts dining room table/chairs and china hutch.

The ones I have seen and like would set me back 30-50 grand.
That's just a tad out of my price range.

I've also been wanting a new dining room set. Less than 1K and I refuse to buy it until it's on sale. But it's dark, has a butterfly leaf and a bench---all things I want.

And a new entertainment center. Also less than 1K but I'm cheap sometimes.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Okay... sorry I misunderstood!
I thought I was to say what I really wanted to buy, not what is in your price range!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I love our house overall, but we didn't have it custom built. There are a couple of things I'd like to change, but since the house is only three years old, it seems sort of like a waste of money.

I would love to change out our granite countertops for something more neutral. I'd love to get one of those deep, stone, farmhouse sinks at the same time.

And I really would love to replace our tile floors in the main living area with hardwoods. Even though the tiles are rustic and don't look cold, I much prefer wood under my feet - and I like the look better as well.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It too forever (years) to find an affordable Tete a tete

We finally found one.

I woudl really like a hand made nice quilt. Some of the designs they make are amazing. I saw one where every square looked completely different, yet they were all made from the same material just cut differently. Another had circles inside of circles overlapping and forming more circles. You could get lost in it and just end up staring at it for hours looking at all the circles. Ideally a family quit or one someone made specifically for our family woudl be neat, but you cannot buy that.

I would like to get all the broken pieces few furniture we have stuffed in the basement repaired.

Oh and a turn of the century Herschede grandfather clock. (About $20K so it will probably never happen).

A Kayak, but I got one for fathers day. Haven't been able to use it yet.

An antique Colliope or player piano.

A harp would be neat for our daughter to play when she visits, plus it can be a neat looking decor. (Plus it woudl make her visit more often since she does nto have a harp of her own).

Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Okay... sorry I misunderstood!
I thought I was to say what I really wanted to buy, not what is in your price range!
Yes, or not take a lighthearted comment apparently...

Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Not only are these out of my price range -- I've lived without them this long, so clearly they're just wants, not needs...

-- stone/block retaining wall to level my lot -- $25-30,000
-- two story addition (adding family room, expanding 2 bathrooms, a closet and a bedroom, adding enclosed patio) -- 75,000

These are dream things I'd like to do to my house. I used to say if I won big millions (10 or more, net) in the lottery I'd get all of it done. Then a friend said -- If you win that kind of money forget the house! Ever since then I realized -- that at this point if I HAD the money I likely wouldn't spend it on those things. So 'dreams' they will remain.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I would like to find the perfect couch and antique sideboard for our 2nd family room in our walkout basement. For over 4 years we haven't used the basement for much except exercise...now we have taken our big screen television out of the upstairs family room (so I have my mantle back) and I'd like to furnish the family room part of the basement so we could watch television when family visits...I have two nice easy chairs down there and a table and lamp and piano....I need a couch, an area rug and an antique sideboard or long dresser to put under the mounted television (I am not real fond of the television units with all the shelving, etc. - most are too contemporary for me), a table of some kind and a couple of lamps, although there is recessed lighting and new carpeting. We keep talking about downsizing so I am hesitant to spend all the $$$ to buy new furniture.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love our house overall, but we didn't have it custom built. There are a couple of things I'd like to change, but since the house is only three years old [7 for us], it seems sort of like a waste of money.
This sounds a lot like our situation, but the longer we stay here, the more I want to do!

I want to change out the light fixtures in the kitchen, dining room and breakfast area. I've had my eye on some fixtures that I like for a while now. Maybe soon.

I really like the feel of our kitchen, but I'd love to redo it all with better quality, but it's not a priority now.

I have no dining room furniture because I decided that our dining set needed a new home and hubby quickly found it one. Still looking for the right one.

I found some fun fabric to recover our counter stools and to make some throw pillows and I'm hoping to find the swatches in today's mail. That's my next project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating