Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

Twelve years ago, we did a kitchen redo and took everything down to studs. Put in Hickory custom cabinets and tile backsplash. Granite was more expensive at the time and I had seen some installations where it was not prepped right and stains were obvious. We also thought that, at the time, the house did not merit the extra cost. We put in stone patterned solid surface counters with integrated white double sink. We have been very pleased with the solid surface but I wonder that when time comes to sell, is that going to be more of a deterrent as people seem to want granite now? Personally, I just wanted to get rid of our old fFormica and didn't want tile as that seemed dated. Now, it seems that even more modest new homes are using granite. Anyway, opinions please. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I never liked the plasticky feel of it, even if it is a solid surface, but that is just my opinion.

If wouldn't necessarily rip it out but if it starts getting dinged up or dingy and you were to replace it I would pass right over granite and go with quartz in a heartbeat, something like Caesarstone can't be beat. It looks great, doesn't stain and never requires sealing so is much better than granite.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I have Corian and think it is every bit as nice as granite. You can always give it a fresh start by having the installers return to give it a light abrading/buffing. It can look brand new.

One thing about my counters is that I can (luckily) see every crumb and drip on it, which really helps during clean up. With granite you might have to get your eyes down to the counter level just to see any food debris since it is so easily camouflaged in the pattern of the stone.

BTW, if it felt plasticky to anyone, it probably was being cleaned with the wrong stuff.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
As long as they look attractive, I would not think a thing about it! Many people prefer corian to solid stone surfaces.

Plus, they can be repaired. So if they start looking dinged up, just call a professional and get them buffed and repaired.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Thanks for responses. If I had it to do over again, I would get the quartz as I like it. You are right about it being able to be repaired which if tile or granite gets chipped or damaged, it is not so easy. We won't replace it as I don't plan on being here for a long time. I am NOT sorry about the hickory cabinets. I think they are beautiful, especially with the hickory crown molding around the whole kitchen. :-)

Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I think you are fine. Honestly, you will drive yourself nuts trying to chase the design trends. Dont bother. There is always someone out there that isnt going to like something you have done, no use worrying about it. Everyone says they want hardwood floors. My husband and I re-finished all the floors in a prior house. People raved about our floors. When we sold the house, the buyers at closing said the first thing they were going to do was get carpet. Here we were thinking that was what helped sell the house!

I personally never cared for corian but it sounds like you made a good design choice in color. My MIL re-did her kitchen at the same time you did. Granite was really expensive at that time so she also went with corian however I think she made a mistake choosing a mauve color.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Some of you are unintentionally using the wrong terms to describe these products. Corian is not a product, it is a brand. It is called Solid Surface and Dupont (who invented it in about 1981) named it Corian which is a registered trademark. Since then many companies such as Wilsonart, Royal Stone and Avonite just to name a few have duplicated this wonderful product called Solid Surface.

Formica is not a product, it is a brand of laminate. I think Formica invented it but I could be wrong. I know they are the original name in laminates. Now many companies duplicate laminates and today's generation of laminates are really nice and high quality but the cheapness of the product from the past, in the public's eye is a hard one to forget and many just say yuck and won't even look at it in the showroom.

This is similar to calling a cotton swab, no matter who made it, a Q-Tip. Which of course most of us do.

Granite is going out of style. Talk to any Realtor and you will hear that a home can never sell without it but they are not very knowledgeable or helpful. Granite sales are declining. That is a fact. My opinion is it will never go out of style completely. Quartz is pretty much the counter top of choice according to all the trade journals I subscribe to and the kitchens I am involved with today. Quartz is basically man made fake granite.

Oops don't ya just hate that word "fake" that many like to incorrectly refer to particle board? I'd like to add that if particle board is fake because it is manufactured sheet goods then so is plywood because it too is manufactured. So stop using that stupid term "real wood" VS "fake wood". Particle board is just as real as plywood or solid wood right from the tree.

There are still people who specify Solid Surface and we do a number of them. Not many mind you. I like it because I can offer 500 color choices with so many edge details and granite can't even come close to this many choices. In granite once you get past the basic 10 the cost goes up to orbit. We have/had granite that cost $280 SF. We are in just about the most expensive zip code in Texas yet I never sold any of it.

Despite what Realtors will tell you, the average home buyer wants an updated modern kitchen. Solid Surface will not chase them away. Painted wooden boxes some incorrectly call custom cabinets DO indeed chase potential buyers away. The average home buyer does not see brand or quality of the cabinets or counter top, they see new VS old. That is the truth!!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I've had laminate, tile, solid surface, granite and quartz.

Give me solid surface any day.. followed by quartz.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I don't like the way Corian ages...especially the sinks...nasty! I would not be happy if I had to spend money to have my counters sanded so they would look good again...what a pain.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I prefer quartz, but if the kitchen was well designed, I wouldn't pass the house up.

You can always replace counters if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating