Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times

Advertisements

We found a console radio about 3 feet tall and in great original condition by the side of the street. It still has the original electronics. The only issue is that something nibbled on a couple of the legs a bit, but they're repairable. It's by Rogers and was made in 1933.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
To be honest, I don't see hardly anything like what I posted around where I live. It takes LOTS of "digging" as well as looking when I am out of town as well. Probably half the things I posted are things I have found out of town. Go to someplace like NYC (or even when I go to Charlotte and Raleigh) I see TONS of great mid-century furniture; however, right where I live it is not so accessible. I find it obviously, but I have to dig, dig, dig and have patience. It has paid off though and is really fun when I do find the pieces!

Actually. NYC is the WORST place to find stuff like that, EVERYONE is looking for Mid Century Modern there.

I've had good luck in Ohio though.

I'd stay away from Charlotte and Raleigh for the same reason as I'd stay away from NYC. Try tour local Craigslist.

You may find things like that in Charlotte or Raleigh, but the prices will be jacked up.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually. NYC is the WORST place to find stuff like that, EVERYONE is looking for Mid Century Modern there.

I've had good luck in Ohio though.

I'd stay away from Charlotte and Raleigh for the same reason as I'd stay away from NYC. Try tour local Craigslist.

You may find things like that in Charlotte or Raleigh, but the prices will be jacked up.
I'm glad you liked our finds! It has been fun.

We do exhaust our local craigslist though. I have RSS feed alerts, manually check it daily, and even have made direct-connections on there with people that post stuff frequently. We also have a loop of a half dozen good thrift stores and consignment shops that we hit on the weekend. There just isn't a lot of stuff in our area. We find the good stuff and dig harder than most, there just isn't a ton of it here. I don't have time to mess with estate sales but other than that we comb our locally area pretty well MCM just never made it to South Carolina en masse apparently :P

Charlotte and Raleigh have been great for us though. The prices are honestly pretty reasonable. We utilize Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro craigslist also as well as have direct connections with some pickers in the area. Prices are more than Greenville where our house is but a lot less than they would sell for other places and honestly really reasonable. We've gotten tons of good things at great prices out of Charlotte between local vintage stores and craigslist. (we are from there and have family there still so we go hunting up there a good bit). However, I do also agree that you will find some places with jacked up prices simply because a piece can be labeled "MCM" when it is not very spectacular. It has gotten more popular lately which has driven some prices up.

I completely agree that NYC does have some more expensive stuff and there is a lot of demand but they also seem to have TONS of it. I've seen lots of stuff for pretty cheap up there. Just depends where you go though. In general I completely agree with you: You will find TONS of it to window-shop but it will be expensive.

It has certainly been interesting the past few years to see how much more popular MCM has gotten again! Double-edged sword: there is so much more of it popping up for sale, but it is all going for a little more.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrambles View Post
This table was being thrown out. We thought it looked like it was still in good shape, so we nabbed it. Sanded it down and painted it orange. Why orange? Why not?
[IMG]
table by Allyson244, on Flickr[/IMG]
Oh darn! I am looking for a square coffee table, but so far no luck.
OP, great idea for a thread. We actually just had a garage sale last weekend, and after the last few pieces of furniture get picked up this week, we have officially purged the last of our extra stuff from downsizing 3 years ago.
Now we will feel as though it is OK to go to the occasional garage sale or auction again. We used to enjoy doing this, but stopped because of the trauma of having so much stuff to get rid of. I'm on the hunt for a few specific things and I don't feel the need to buy something unless I find the odd Farberware pot or the black toaster, or the square coffee table.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I don't have pics as they are on the paint table, but I nabbed two wicker rocking chairs from the side of the road over the weekend. Nothing at all wrong with them, just dust and spider webs. Gonna blow them off good and paint them.
What great finds! One caution: if they've never been painted, you might want to just give them a good cleaning and perhaps waxing. Look underneath - if there's a vintage label there, your chairs will be worth far more in their original condition.

Especially if that old label says "Heywood-Wakefield"!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
It's not going to decorate my house, but I was delighted to bring home a largish mirror-ball, aka disco ball, from a country auction last weekend. Cost me all of $17 and will be a decorative conversation piece as it hangs above the dance floor at my upcoming high school reunion (don't ask which one - let's just say I graduated long before the disco era)!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
Found a couple of counter height stools at the restore last week and yesterday spotted 2 more at the salvation army. Hope they are still there today when I call by.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
sooo cute !!
Wash stand

and these .. I could do so much with these
http://nmi.craigslist.org/atq/3888837501.html

Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,881 times
This decorates my patio . I bought it from a lady who was buying containers from England and selling the pieces from her house. I don't know how old it is, and I've forgotten how much I paid. The stained glass has a convex shape and the hardware is supposed to be original (not the hooks that I added at the top).

Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
My husband and I found this 1920s knitting rocker made by the Sheboygan Chair Company at a local resale shop yesterday for $129!!! It needs NOTHING done to it - it's rock solid, no damage at all, with a gently worn original finish. I love it!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating