Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
OK here it is .. first photo is the 6 sided table I picked up yesterday. Today the bug struck again (I swear hubby is going to ban me from thrift shopping) and I found this lit table complete with all its glass, I think it'll make a great piece to display my collection of silver boxes.
And yes that really is toile de jouy panelling behind it, its in the IT room and I sort of like it ... in a kitsch way.
I like the toile in a retro vintage kitsch way also! The tables have that warm vintage feeling too. Sort of like my family room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Pretty good pickings, everyone! Ive become a huge fan of Craigslist, I now wish I held off buying certain pieces of furniture when we first moved here bc I've found some I like just as much (or more), thing is you have to act fast. Unfort. I'm a little hesitant driving outside of my new area so that limits me (I get lost even w/ the gps), one good thing is that it's helped me learn the area (signs are not allowed here - alth. a few are posted - so it really helps to know where you're going). Did find a very lovely painting of palm trees for the dining room which was so appropriate for our house here in FL), the frame is great too and it was very very reasonable (have no clue how to post pictures here). Got a beautiful backgammon game recently at a garage sale for only $1 - pieces complete, no directions but I can pull them on online, it's large and looks like it was barely used (suitcase style). GOt beanie babies for as low as 3 for $1, w/ the tags on, but usually they're more than that. Got dog crates too thru garage sales or craigslist, never bought a new one. Bought numerous books at garage sales at very reasonable prices. Got a fairly new weather radio here for about $3 (they sell for about $30-35). Have found garage sales here to be smaller than ones in the north, I guess bc there's no basements here and less storage so ppl tend to sell more often - also it's common to see sales start at 7AM (yikes) and end earlier in the day, bc of the heat, I guess, always best to get there early while there's a lot on the tables, before things sell out.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
So, when we moved in this house, one of the issues was the small rooms. Thus, I set out to find smaller furniture that would fit. However, I wanted to do so on a small budget. The dining room was almost entirely from consignment shops, craigslist, and Goodwill. The only thing I bought brand new was the white shag rug which I got at Lowes.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
That is so beautiful Southbel!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, when we moved in this house, one of the issues was the small rooms. Thus, I set out to find smaller furniture that would fit. However, I wanted to do so on a small budget. The dining room was almost entirely from consignment shops, craigslist, and Goodwill. The only thing I bought brand new was the white shag rug which I got at Lowes.
Great finds -- lovely room!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
That is so beautiful Southbel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Great finds -- lovely room!
The entire room, plus furnishings, cost me around $500. My husband loved that as I am not necessarily known to bargain shop. However, I do get such a rush when I find great deals! Goodwill in my part of town is phenomenal so I'm lucky in that regard - I found several original watercolors and paintings there since we have a huge artist community here in Charleston. Best find? The solid mahogany table buried at a consignment store that I got for $100.

You should have seen the room before - it was u.g.l.y. Bad bright yellow paint job and I mean really bad. We added the wainscoting too since I wanted the room to read white even though I used the brown (I think it was called Bamboo) paint on the walls.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The entire room, plus furnishings, cost me around $500. My husband loved that as I am not necessarily known to bargain shop. However, I do get such a rush when I find great deals! Goodwill in my part of town is phenomenal so I'm lucky in that regard - I found several original watercolors and paintings there since we have a huge artist community here in Charleston. Best find? The solid mahogany table buried at a consignment store that I got for $100.

You should have seen the room before - it was u.g.l.y. Bad bright yellow paint job and I mean really bad. We added the wainscoting too since I wanted the room to read white even though I used the brown (I think it was called Bamboo) paint on the walls.

Bravo and high 5^ for a spectacular job well done; and on a great budget

Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I love the color on the walls. Do you remember the brand? It's a gorgeous, rich neutral and looks so good with creamy white - and I bet it would be yummy with some greenery thrown in as well! Perfect backdrop for other neutrals.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love the color on the walls. Do you remember the brand? It's a gorgeous, rich neutral and looks so good with creamy white - and I bet it would be yummy with some greenery thrown in as well! Perfect backdrop for other neutrals.
Yes. I keep a detailed book with entries for each room. I'm a dork that way! It's Valspar Bamboo EB11-1.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
My great grandfather's suitcase & furniture legs from home depot

dining room set from Craigslist $800

Chandelier for my daughter's room, $15 at a yard sale, $30 in replacement crystals online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating