U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,481,629 times

Advertisements

I love thrift store and garage sale shopping, repurposing stuff others no longer need at a fraction of the new cost is so much fun.

Here are some of my recent purchases. A pretty sconce for $10, kitchenmaid cabinets for my new kitchen island $100, embroideries came from a local estate sale, so much love goes into making these I can't help but give them space in my home.

Now its your turn ... show us those finds
Attached Thumbnails
Thrift store, garage sale and craigslists finds ... show and tell-img_0184.jpg   Thrift store, garage sale and craigslists finds ... show and tell-img_0185.jpg   Thrift store, garage sale and craigslists finds ... show and tell-embroidery1.jpg   Thrift store, garage sale and craigslists finds ... show and tell-embroidery2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,172,071 times

Craigslist Hand blown art glass vase, love it! I think it was $10, can't remember but that's about my limit on Craigslist.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
ooo, this is a favorite hobby for both me and my wife. I'll post a batch of stuff now and I'll have to get some pictures later for some other stuff. Mine will be a mix of thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, as well as steals at local "antique" or "vintage" stores where we got pieces needing some TLC or something.

Mid-century dresser whose finish was in terrible condition. Got someone locally to do a nice, high-quality paint job to spruce it up. Picture after they painted it:

Danish Selig chair in near MINT condition. We will be reupholstering the seat and back this year to use in our reading room.

Nice used, mid-century chair we got from someone for dirt cheap. Good condition but in need of a full-reupholstery. Once we get it reupholstered I will show pictures of it in our own house.

Vintage Saarinen side table with italian marble in great condition.

Gorgeous gold table lamp that will be going on our credenza in our dining room. Shown here in my apartment/crashpad for out-of-town work...on top of the Saarinent table :P

A really well-crafted brass stag. Thrift store for dirt cheap and my wife and I both loved it immediately. Also, this shot is a small sneak-peak of our bedroom mid-makeover (I will probably be doing a thread/multiple threads on the makeover of our first house later this year. I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of these pieces in it).

More to come at a later time!

Last edited by jamiecta; 07-02-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Wow, lots of neat stuff. I don't see too much of that around here.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Wow, lots of neat stuff. I don't see too much of that around here.
To be honest, I don't see hardly anything like what I posted around where I live. It takes LOTS of "digging" as well as looking when I am out of town as well. Probably half the things I posted are things I have found out of town. Go to someplace like NYC (or even when I go to Charlotte and Raleigh) I see TONS of great mid-century furniture; however, right where I live it is not so accessible. I find it obviously, but I have to dig, dig, dig and have patience. It has paid off though and is really fun when I do find the pieces!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
To be honest, I don't see hardly anything like what I posted around where I live. It takes LOTS of "digging" as well as looking when I am out of town as well. Probably half the things I posted are things I have found out of town. Go to someplace like NYC (or even when I go to Charlotte and Raleigh) I see TONS of great mid-century furniture; however, right where I live it is not so accessible. I find it obviously, but I have to dig, dig, dig and have patience. It has paid off though and is really fun when I do find the pieces!

The bad part about living in NYC though is that you end up buying a small, one bedroom apartment and you don't really have the place to put more chairs (reading room? what's that?*) or space to work on things to fix them up.

*Joke.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM

haha yes true.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
OK weird story about this little table - my family has no idea where it came from, but doggone it, I'm claiming it and giving it some long overdue respect!

This table "showed up" outside my parents' barn. Where it came from, no one knows. But it's solid wood and in great shape, under the paint. It apparently was used as a project table. It's made very well and is old, probably dating to around the 1920s.

I am about to get creative with it - will post photos afterward!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 38,323 times
This table was being thrown out. We thought it looked like it was still in good shape, so we nabbed it. Sanded it down and painted it orange. Why orange? Why not?
[IMG]
table by Allyson244, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM

4,663 posts, read 5,907,077 times
I don't have pics as they are on the paint table, but I nabbed two wicker rocking chairs from the side of the road over the weekend. Nothing at all wrong with them, just dust and spider webs. Gonna blow them off good and paint them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating