Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Goodwill.

That's my style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I love that rug! I am in the process of decorating my living room in a new place and going more Deco. Where did you get it?
I found it at Home Goods a few months ago. When I get home tonight, I'll check the back to see if there's a manufacturer's tag or something.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:06 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Simplified primitive country. Don't like french country or over the top floral prints of fabric. Don't like clutter so not alot of knick-knacks or tchotchkes. My dad always called those "dust collectors" and I agree with him.

I love craftsman style homes and Amish/Shaker furniture. I like the look of Mission but I don't want to dust it.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I found it at Home Goods a few months ago. When I get home tonight, I'll check the back to see if there's a manufacturer's tag or something.
Ooh I am going to check that out. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Well, I had just finished looking at the one with all the doodads and things on a chest so I guess I meant all that kind of stuff.
Probably my post.

All my stuff is paid for too - I don't buy household goods on credit. As for the dusting, I like my things. My husband and I travel a lot and our "doodads" are sentimental to us (also, many are family heirlooms). So...to me, dusting just comes with the territory. I don't work outside the home, so I have plenty of time to keep my house clean!

But to each his own. I admire a streamlined look in the homes of others, but it's just not my personal style.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Probably my post.

All my stuff is paid for too - I don't buy household goods on credit. As for the dusting, I like my things. My husband and I travel a lot and our "doodads" are sentimental to us (also, many are family heirlooms). So...to me, dusting just comes with the territory. I don't work outside the home, so I have plenty of time to keep my house clean!

But to each his own. I admire a streamlined look in the homes of others, but it's just not my personal style.

I like your little shelf. Rooms that have interesting collections say a lot about the owner.

I vacillate. I have a set of mismatched blue and white china (transferware, flow blue, etc.) I collected that I absolutely love and display in my kitchen. I just bought bright blue mid century chairs and a white table to pick up on the color scheme. Totally different styles, but they come together really nicely. I really like having things that work together but don't match. I will usually have an overall "theme" but certainly I don't stay 100% true.

Right now I am drooling over the interiors in the new Great Gatsby movie. That may be informing my taste more than it should!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I like your little shelf. Rooms that have interesting collections say a lot about the owner.

I vacillate. I have a set of mismatched blue and white china (transferware, flow blue, etc.) I collected that I absolutely love and display in my kitchen. I just bought bright blue mid century chairs and a white table to pick up on the color scheme. Totally different styles, but they come together really nicely. I really like having things that work together but don't match. I will usually have an overall "theme" but certainly I don't stay 100% true.

Right now I am drooling over the interiors in the new Great Gatsby movie. That may be informing my taste more than it should!
Sounds AWESOME - I love mixing and matching, with an overall theme.

No matter where I move or what I buy, my stuff always seems to just go together well, and I think it's because I'm consistent about color themes, scale - that sort of thing. A few weeks ago I was really tempted to buy a mid century coffee table, but I resisted it because the shape was wrong (the wood was fabulous!). Yesterday, I was very tempted by a coverlet that was hand sewn, but I just couldn't justify the expense because as lovely as it was, it simply didn't blend with what I have going on in any of the bedrooms in the house...so...no go.

I rotate accessories out because I do love them but I don't want too much stuff out at one time. I have a fall/winter look (accessories, pillows, etc) and a spring/summer look for my main living areas. I have a closet that I use to store the "off season" stuff (the only holidays I decorate for are fall and Christmas).

Like you, I love little collections, groups and vignettes - I prefer that look over one big "focus piece" usually. Your blue and white items sound so pretty! As you can tell, I mix a wide range of blue and white patterns, materials, and styles - it's the colors that I love.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
I really love looking at the objects people choose to display and showcase (like in Kathryn's photos). I think you can tell a lot about people this way: what is important to them, what do they value, how do they want to be seen. (This has always been something I specifically look for, when I start dating someone new.)

It's also fun to see what objects people gravitate to, at my house. It's my own unofficial party game; I like to try and guess what people will be drawn towards. The object that most often fascinates people is a vintage bakelite candlestick phone.)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Modern and minimalist with a little hint of vintage Victorian and retro 70s.
I steal idea from everywhere.
LOL.

I try to make each room to have color themes, which flows from one room to the next.
Usually I use earth tone / neutral color with one additional color hues that pop up; (hues from green to blue, red to orange, etc).
I also try to mix and match cheap furniture (even scraped one from dumpster) to luxury ones such as from Ligne Roset and Kartell (have to pay in credit of course).

One day I got this beautiful chair san cushion in a dumpster. PIck it up, repaint it and make a unique cushion. My friends thought I bought it from an expensive store while in reality it costed me only $25.87 to refurbish the chair.
The thing I try to learn right now is using those vintage suitcase to create chair, ottoman and whatnot. You guys should check it out on the internet! It's awesome. Here's an example from another crafty artist who make a chair made out of a suitcase.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 07-10-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I really love looking at the objects people choose to display and showcase (like in Kathryn's photos). I think you can tell a lot about people this way: what is important to them, what do they value, how do they want to be seen. (This has always been something I specifically look for, when I start dating someone new.)

It's also fun to see what objects people gravitate to, at my house. It's my own unofficial party game; I like to try and guess what people will be drawn towards. The object that most often fascinates people is a vintage bakelite candlestick phone.)
I love your dining room - LOVE that buffet!!!! I really enjoy seeing styles like that in the homes of others, because I can live vicariously through them!

I really enjoy watching people take in the little collections and things like that in my house and watching what they gravitate toward as well. In my foyer, it's nearly always the collection of art above the buffet. In my living room, people seem drawn to the carnival glass in the lit cabinet - or often this lamp, which makes me feel good because I spent an arm and a leg getting it rewired and buying a special shade for it. (It was carved from one piece of solid wood, in Germany, around the turn of the 20th century, when electricity was new - I spent a lot more on revamping the lamp than I did the lamp itself!).

Here's a picture of my Belgian/French dining room table (oak, from the 1920s or so) with the 1950s hard maple side chairs, and the Pier One chairs at either end. Oh, and all my stuff I have to dust on top of my kitchen cabinets! LOL

Here's an example of how I love to group things together:

Here's another example. By the way, the date on this armoire is real - it really is from 1796 - it's my favorite piece of furniture!!! We had it appraised and the appraiser determined that the paint was 90 percent original! It's been kept indoors apparently ever since it was made. Cured meats were hung in it at one time, and when you open the door, you can still smell a rich, woody, bacony scent!

On top of it, I put together a collection of religious items I've gathered over the years - a 1920s print from my grandmother, praying hands that belonged to my great grandmother, a crucifix from a church in France (about 200 years old), a silver plated communion cup from around 1880 (Germany), and a rosary blessed by Pope JPII.

When people come to my house, they usually stand in front of this piece for awhile and ask specifically about each item. Not sure why - maybe really old religious items have some sort of pull with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating