Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times

Advertisements

One of the things I enjoy most about the decorating forum is getting to see pictures of homes in other geographical areas, where different things are stylish and different natural materials are used. I also love seeing how people who have style different than my own have chosen to decorate their homes - its such fun to see someone use an accent color you never would have thought of, or how they've got "your" sofa but it looks completely different in their Tuscan-inspired living room than in your house.

So . . . I'm curious. What styles do we have represented on this forum? What's your style, what movements influence how you decorate your home?

I'll go first. My biggest influence is Hollywood Regency, tempered & updated with a bit of Mid Century Modern.

This plays out in my house with luxe fabrics, monochromatic color schemes with dramatic pops of accent color, zebra print rugs, mirrored furniture, Moroccan-inspired furniture with scrollwork/fretwork, and metallic trim. A bit of Asian influence. Lacquered woods -- I'm slowly replacing some of my furniture with lacquered items. True to Hollywood Regency, I've opted for smaller-scale furniture when possible, too. Color scheme is grey/white/black, with accents in orange, fuchsia, and yellow. (I should add, I don't have all these colors in every room!)

I'll be the first to admit, my house is a little over the top, but I enjoy it. It's fun, and it's great for entertaining. Certain elements about it just make me smile -- like the fuchsia accent wall in my dining room. Walking past that, on my way to get my first cup of coffee in the morning, just puts a smile on my face. I have a reputation for being a bit quirky, and I feel comfortable in a space that complements my personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
The husband and I prefer the clean lines of Mission/Arts & Crafts.
We have plenty of wood throughout the house, which goes with that style.
We also have no white walls or ceilings, preferring the rich colors of the era.
We accessorize with handmade pieces made by American craftsmen and artists.... no massed produced stuff!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
our style has a firm base in MCM, with a mix of some more contemporary and eclectic overtones. We mix a lot of vintage MCM pieces with more contemporary pieces that have roots in / take influence from the MCM movement.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The husband and I prefer the clean lines of Mission/Arts & Crafts.
We have plenty of wood throughout the house, which goes with that style.
We also have no white walls or ceilings, preferring the rich colors of the era.
We accessorize with handmade pieces made by American craftsmen and artists.... no massed produced stuff!
I LOVE the look of Arts & Crafts! My grandmother's house was pure Arts & Crafts, and I always loved going there as a child.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
We have a house full of Bauhaus, Marcel Breuer, Le Corbusier, Eames, Noguchi etc.

I love visiting friends who have decorated shabby, country and particularly Baroque.

Any decorating that is done tastefully and with passion is wonderful.

Coming home to your comfort is the most important thing.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I use traditional and transitional pieces. My main interest in decorating is to create comfort and peace. But I haven't stuck to a specific style of furnishings. I do like clean lines and simple elegant shapes.

I am intrigued by color, and I like to combine them so that everything looks pleasing. I dislike harsh contrasts.

I would call my style transitional without stuffiness. I love to accent with art and handmade and found objects.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:54 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
I'm currently at the start of a full house renovation, the house was built in the 60's and has a cottagy cabin feel so I'm going with modern cottage/shabby. Some of my furniture is older and some is totally up to date (Poang chairs from Ikea) so its going to be very eclectic. I'm also stepping outside my usual colour comfort zone so no red walls in this house.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Modern/eclectic. Lots of art pieces and vibrant color.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Cottage coastal. Plenty of white mixed with antiques, natural fabrics, and plenty of texture.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
One of the things I enjoy most about the decorating forum is getting to see pictures of homes in other geographical areas, where different things are stylish and different natural materials are used. I also love seeing how people who have style different than my own have chosen to decorate their homes - its such fun to see someone use an accent color you never would have thought of, or how they've got "your" sofa but it looks completely different in their Tuscan-inspired living room than in your house.

So . . . I'm curious. What styles do we have represented on this forum? What's your style, what movements influence how you decorate your home?

I'll go first. My biggest influence is Hollywood Regency, tempered & updated with a bit of Mid Century Modern.

This plays out in my house with luxe fabrics, monochromatic color schemes with dramatic pops of accent color, zebra print rugs, mirrored furniture, Moroccan-inspired furniture with scrollwork/fretwork, and metallic trim. A bit of Asian influence. Lacquered woods -- I'm slowly replacing some of my furniture with lacquered items. True to Hollywood Regency, I've opted for smaller-scale furniture when possible, too. Color scheme is grey/white/black, with accents in orange, fuchsia, and yellow. (I should add, I don't have all these colors in every room!)

I'll be the first to admit, my house is a little over the top, but I enjoy it. It's fun, and it's great for entertaining. Certain elements about it just make me smile -- like the fuchsia accent wall in my dining room. Walking past that, on my way to get my first cup of coffee in the morning, just puts a smile on my face. I have a reputation for being a bit quirky, and I feel comfortable in a space that complements my personality.

I totally want to see pics!

I am a firm believer in letting the house define the style. Right now I live in New Orleans in a house built in 1881. My place is very French and Victorian with some Hollywood Regency thrown in where appropriate. It works for this place, but sad to say, I am moving.

My new place is on the east coast in an Art Deco building. I will take some of my pieces but am selling/replacing things like the sofa, dining table and chairs, etc. My one real caveat is to only buy furniture that is relatively light weight and compact. I move a lot, and tend to live in older homes and buildings, so staircases can be a challenge.

I love pretty much everything if done well and appropriate to the home itself. I try to do new color schemes each time I move. I try to get out of my comfort zone-- for many years I only did brights, and in the past few years I have been using more (shudder) neutrals. I love it.

If I could live in any environment, I think it would be either a very Parisian Art Nouveau era building with curving staircases or a 1920s "Storybook" style house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating