U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM

30,154 posts, read 21,132,921 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking what I would do to my kitchen if I won one of those remodeling contests. The dollar amount is usually about $25,000. What could/would I do with that amount of money in my kitchen?

I don't think $25,000 will buy all new cabinets. My kitchen is kind of big. But I could remodel my island. I'd love to have an island with more functional storage, a built in knife block, and with a granite top. My cabs are light maple. I'd like the new island to be painted, maybe a teal green or yellow. Yellow paint would look great with all the gray in the kitchen. And I'd like the island to be slightly smaller. It obstructs the path from the sink to the cooktop. And I'd like a new Bosch dishwasher.

What would you do with $25,000 for your kitchen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 PM

15,802 posts, read 58,860,895 times
Just give me the check-
The house isn't worth a 25k kitchen. So it would be money down the drain!

I'd rather throw it in the two holes (hulls) I have in the water!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 AM

10,954 posts, read 10,203,188 times
Oh, I want to play! I would have a cream colored shaker style cabinet with nautical latch hardware. Want Cambria Torquay countertops, a farmhouse sink, nickel bridge faucet, and white subway tile backsplash with dark grey grout. Just got new appliances and they're pretty nice (for this kitchen size) so I would be set there. However, if I got a Wolf stove in that budget, I wouldn't be complaining. The reality is that I could maybe get half of that (if it were on sale) but it's fun to imagine nonetheless!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 AM

2,278 posts, read 4,444,818 times
$25,000 isn't quite enough t gut the existing kitchen & give me my fantasy kitchen, so I would:

- upgrade my dishwasher
- replace my counters with a different granite (I know, wasteful.)
- new tile backsplash

I might be able to refinish my cabinets in that budget, ideally I'd like them either darker (espresso) or painted white.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM

20,418 posts, read 42,751,766 times
I have a remodeled kitchen, so my $25,000 would go to redo another room!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,917,192 times
I have no idea what $25K would get if that meant paying someone else to do it. In our current remodel that would either cover appliances or most of what the cabinets will probably come out to, so... that.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM

6,081 posts, read 6,502,819 times
There's a good chance I have the tiniest kitchen in this forum so I would probably have money leftover from the 25K even if I replaced everything. I don't think there is really any good way to expand this kitchen and I have a feeling any wall I'd try to knock down has pipes behind it or something that goes to another person's apartment.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM

4,034 posts, read 5,532,273 times
With 25K (tax free) I could craigslist my way to do the whole house over, and even the outside, LOL! I have it all planned...

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM

326 posts, read 558,501 times
If I won $25K to do a kitchen remodel, I would do a little happy dance!

We have been bouncing back and forth between refacing (I know, I know) and remodeling the kitchen in the house we've been in for around 6 months. Refacing estimates have been $12K-$20K. Remodeling estimates, trying to be conservative, have been $33-45. My husband doesn't want to go the more expensive route. As much as I dread having our lives turned upside down for a few weeks with a remodel, I can't fathom spending so much money on something I think I will regret later on. So towards the remodel it would go!

So instead of the white peeling disgusting cabinets we have now, in would go nice, deep cherry stained cabinets with great organization features like lazy susans in the corners, pull out drawers for pots/pans - things that I go into a showroom and drool over!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:15 PM

38,237 posts, read 68,189,378 times
Everything! My kitchen was a DIY project for someone in the late 80s. I hope he didn't consider himself a professional.

I'd want new cabinets, new floor, new stove, new exhaust hood, new light fixtures, new countertops. I'd knock out the useless soffit, which is way too big and causes the cabinets to be too close to the counter. White cabinets, red countertops, grey floor. Maybe some kind of backsplash -- I'm really not too keen on them -- in grey or black.

I'll keep the fridge and dishwasher. They're black, too.

I'd eat up the rest of the budget adding and moving electrical outlets and fixtures, and repairing the plaster. Maybe build in some shelves or a cabinet or a desk or something. My house really isn't worth a $25K kitchen, either, and I don't go gaga for expensive appliances or bells and whistles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating