Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 PM

19 posts, read 43,040 times

Advertisements

As I stated in the title, I am moving into a studio apartment in Manhattan and would like your help.

I'm looking to purchase the following items:
- Bed Frame (Full Size)
- Loveseat
- Ghost Chairs
- Table

I am on a budget, so please nothing too extravagant. I've been looking at sites like IKEA and Overstock.com.

Do you think this is too tacky?

FYI: This is how the previous tenant had the place decorated. It is currently unfurnished.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
Looks like a showcase apartment, not a real place.

I am not sure what you want to know. I have no idea what a ghost chair is.

If you are on a budget, then I think Ikea is your friend. But add some vintage pieces from thrift stores too as accents. Or things from your home or relatives.

I don't see anything wrong with the unit you show, if it functions well.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
The OP recreated the previous tenant's furniture arrangement with a software program.

I do think the shelving will be too tacky since it's meant for inside a closet.

Do you feel you need more closet/storage space?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM

720 posts, read 1,702,833 times
A bed with drawers underneath is great for storage (I bought a trundle bed with 3 drawers underneath for my guest room).Have seen queen size bed frames with drawers on the sides and ends. I wouldn't use that shelving unit------a tall armoire would be more attractive and could hold clothes, shoes, etc.
Ikea has some bed/sofas that are well-rated---not too expensive and a place for guests to sleep.I have an ottoman in our camper that holds stuff and can be used for extra seating (holds up to 200 lbs) it's brown wicker and attractive.
Those ghost chairs are very cool. Good luck!!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,174,145 times
Here is a link to a knock off ghost chair
Ghost Arm Chair - Soma Classics

Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM

Here's a similar table from Ikea
LINNMON/ LALLE
Table, gray
$75.99
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...58/#/S49930954

Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I really like the white branch room divider thing hanging down from the ceiling. Might have to make that.

Don't care for the storage rack picked out, where do you plan on using that? Maybe if it didn't have the shoe racks tilted, just more shelving it would look better. Will you use it for clothing or art objects/books etc? Clothing might need to have doors or baskets instead of so open.

Very nice room, from the realtor's website. You might ask them if they have any of the furnishings available because it looks staged, not what the previous owner had.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I really like the white branch room divider thing hanging down from the ceiling. Might have to make that.

Don't care for the storage rack picked out, where do you plan on using that? Maybe if it didn't have the shoe racks tilted, just more shelving it would look better. Will you use it for clothing or art objects/books etc? Clothing might need to have doors or baskets instead of so open.

Very nice room, from the realtor's website. You might ask them if they have any of the furnishings available because it looks staged, not what the previous owner had.
Hello.

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. The photos are REAL not computer generated. I visited the apartment prior to signing the lease and have been in contact with the previous tenant.

I am going to pass on that clothing rack, I agree it's pretty tacky. I'm going to check out IKEA and overstock. Thank you for posting that table as well, I am going to buy it.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Can anyone tell me what those "fixtures" above the sink are called and where I can find them? I was hoping they would be left in the apartment but the previous tenant removed them

Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToDie4InteriorDesign View Post
Can anyone tell me what those "fixtures" above the sink are called and where I can find them? I was hoping they would be left in the apartment but the previous tenant removed them
sconce shelf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating