Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times

Advertisements

I agree that the dark grey and black kitchens look very stylish but I would think if use your kitchen a lot, the dark would show dirt way to easily.
I have a few questions:?

This seems to be a kitchen open to the living area. What are your plans for that room?
What style of house do you prefer? Modern? Rustic?
Are you happy with the general layout of the kitchen? If not, it does not make sense to spend a lot of time and money on the cabinets if you think you will redoing the whole room in a few years. Yes, the refinishing kits looks good but there is a fair amount of work involved. For work involved I would want to keep them for at least 3 years.
If you are happy with your setup, it may be cost affective to look into the companies that resurface your cabinets. The results are professional looking and would easily last many years.

You said you like the yellow in then kitchen now, but it shows very pale on my monitor. I would go for a richer gold color, paint the door on the right to blend in with the wall color and add a backsplash. Again the color will depend on what the room opens up to.

I have always found it a good idea to live with a room for a bit before changing it. I have lived in more then a few apartments and houses. I was surprised to find I hated things I thought I would love and vice versa. Paint does wanders to change a room with little cost and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I don't know. Is there a sliding glass door on the wall we cant see?

I just bought a home with black cupboards and they look fabulous, however, one kitchen wall is almost an entire huge window that lets in loads of bright cheery light.

Unless that picture is hiding some other large windows, I would be careful that you don't turn it into a dark cave with that tiny little window.
Yes there is a sliding glass door that lets in a lot of light.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Eclectic Kitchen by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Weedman Design Partners
I like this color... odd and different..
the cabinet color is Benjamin Moore AF-720 Sparrow”

Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
beckycat,
Yes! I like your choice of that cabinet color. I would get the semi gloss.
Excellent choice.
If you choose that, since it's red toned, I would paint the walls a pale beautiful
blue. It's a cool color, light, and the cabinets will be very warm when your done.
It will pop.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 PM

252 posts, read 580,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Eclectic Kitchen by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Weedman Design Partners
I like this color... odd and different..
“the cabinet color is Benjamin Moore AF-720 Sparrowâ€

Are those white granite ?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
How much do you want to spend and how good do you want the kitchen to look. Black will look like snit especially if its not completely smooth. Black will also show every imperfection stain or scratch because the original color is white.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How much do you want to spend and how good do you want the kitchen to look. Black will look like snit especially if its not completely smooth. Black will also show every imperfection stain or scratch because the original color is white.
We ended up painting the cabinets a dark chocolate color, not black. We have to choose the wall colors now. The counters are Golden Travertine.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd go a dark grey not a complete black. Do u plan on painting the walls? The black with the yellow might give you a bumble bee effect. I'd go white on the walls dark grey on the cabinets. That way you can keep the stainless steel fridge and still go black if you want on the other appliances and not be overwhelmed with just black. Add some nice modern nickel brushed hardware for handles and it will look a lot more mod. The light fixture hanging down will blend in to the more modern look

Wow. Love your kitchen

Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Here's a sneak peak. The work is still in progress but wanted to update.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
That is great paint job! Thanks for updating, looking forward to more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating