Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We were talking about holiday decorating over on retirement forum and I remembered there's a difference between "fall" and "halloween" decoratin. Which means I do have one decorating rule, after all:

"Fall" items such as pumpkins, scarecrows, etc. are put out for the whole season. But "halloween" items are only out for a short time.

Where I live, simple halloween items like ghosts hung from a tree might be put out for the week before halloween. Fancy or large halloween items get put out the weekend before (or sometimes the night before) and then get taken down as soon as halloween is done. Otherwise pranksters, rain or even just wind could ruin them.
Great pics!! Love to drive around and see what people do for Halloween and fall - spider webs with big spiders is real popular. I have never done anything for Halloween or fall but I love love love Christmas. It takes a week to do my house at Christmas and I enjoy living in a temporary fantasy land. I have the Dept 56 Christmas village - both the original and the newer "Christmas In the City" that I like to put together. I am having a moving sale and some Xmas stuff is going but not my village stuff. I guess it's my piece of New England. Many years ago I splurged on a quality fake tree and it is gorgeous when I'm done - I use silk flowers as well as the usual decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
"Fall" items such as pumpkins, scarecrows, etc. are put out for the whole season. But "halloween" items are only out for a short time.
I have this thing called Marcus the Carcass, that's only out for trick-or-treat hours. I don't get many kids at the door, but it's fun to see their reactions.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have this thing called Marcus the Carcass, that's only out for trick-or-treat hours. I don't get many kids at the door, but it's fun to see their reactions.
Love it!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I also use several "Marcus the Carcass" in our cemetary display. Thanks Target about 10 years ago!

We decorate every other year or so (for Halloween). Like another poster said, the true "halloween" decorations are up for a very short time period. As in the cemetary fence goes up about a week before, with props and lighting added in during the week. But its never turned "on" at night (unless we're testing it) until Halloween.

Otherwise the kids wouldn't be very scared, now would they?

We have several near-life-size animations, that would be ruined by inclement weather, so they only go out (weather depending) on Halloween itself.

Most years, the decorations are picked up the very next day. (so as to not be lost to weather/theft).

This year, we are having a party (knock on wood) on Saturday the 2nd, so we'll keep the decorations out (most of them) for a couple of days and pick up on Sunday.

I'm not even thinking about Christmas until we survive Halloween!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I don't really decorate.

Typically, we do buy a tree and decorate that. Oh and I hang up two stockings.

I'm lame/lazy/etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I just put out my fall decorations. Will post pictures soon (my dang phone is in the shop because I dropped it!).

I changed out the big painting over the fireplace to my fall/winter one. Changed out the pillows on the sofa from deep teal to bright, rich orange velvet. Changed out all the teal accents in the main living areas to rich orange and browns. Scattered fall leaves and ceramic pumpkins around, and put out my fall scent candles on various tables and well as in my big candle stick holders on the mantle. Put out my fall wreath and pumpkins on the front porch.

I love it! I love accenting with orange for fall. I switch over to rich gold and garnet red accents for the holidays, and then browns and burnished colors for January thru March. Spring and summer are when I pull out the teals and bright oranges again.

I do all this pretty easily because I have two colorful rugs in the living and dining areas that have lots of colors I can pull from. I have a dark brown sofa and two chairs with subtle fabrics that have the rug colors interwoven in them. So all I have to do is switch out the painting and a few pillows and accessories - I keep the seasonal stuff in a closet and I always love every switch I make throughout the year. Things always seem fresh and new this way.

Thank goodness for Pier One!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,720 times
First of all I know this thread is almost one year old in case the old thread Nazi's want to point it out..I thought I would just post here instead of making a new identical thread.

I've moved back to Atlanta after years of the Northwest that was cool in sept where I felt more like fall decorating when it was cooler, so now I wait until the weather is cool to decorate for fall/Halloween so a lot of times that means waiting until at least October 15th,sometimes the very week of Halloween. I will leave it up until mid-November when I replace them with Christmas décor and I will leave those up until Jan2nd or 3rd.

Just yesterday(sept 10) I was at the grocery store and saw pumpkins and pumpkin pies, Gourds for decorating and believe me I was so tempted to buy them and put them out on the patio but then I read where it said to keep them in a cool dry place, we are still in the high 80's to low 90's with heat indexes near 100,so I had to pass but I am getting excited about the decorating Holiday season 2014!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:00 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
First of all I know this thread is almost one year old in case the old thread Nazi's want to point it out..I thought I would just post here instead of making a new identical thread.
LOL! You're good with this thread.
People get bent out of shape when an old post is resurrected and is no longer pertinent. Like giving potty training advice to the OP who needed advice 5 years ago.... or a honeymoon destination suggestion and the OP had been married since 2005.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Kinda weird because the "pieces" are on the wrong sides

Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
We put up fall decorations in the beginning of September. It is starting to cool off here in Colorado and some tree leaves are starting to change colors. The first week in October, we will put up the Halloween decorations. After Halloween, they will come down and the fall stuff will remain until Thanksgiving. Then either Thanksgiving day or the next day, we will put up the Christmas Decorations. That weekend, I will put up the outside lights.

We love our holidays and love decorating even though we don't have any kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating