Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM

101 posts, read 354,974 times

Advertisements

[IMG][/IMG]This wallpaper is not exactly modern. Its not looking bad but definitely not modern. How can I pull of a modern/chic look with it if I dont want to buy another kinda of wallpaper.
mirror light? picture hanging. any specific suggestions on this or please show me a picture maybe to inspire. THANKS A LOT

I dont know why I could not attach pictures here but here its the wallpaper i bought for another project trying to use it here for my "modern' bath
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161097072129...84.m1497.l2648

Last edited by angelawongme; 09-30-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I don't see how damask can translate into modern at all.... it says grandma's house to me.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
damask can work in some mixed contemporary settings at least; however, the specific print and color combination shown is not very conducive to a "modern" setting at all. The lines and style of that wallpaper typically will not work well if you are trying to go for a modern feel, especially if you are planning to do every room in that wallpaper.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawongme View Post
This wallpaper is not exactly modern. Its not looking bad but definitely not modern. How can I pull of a modern/chic look with it if I dont want to buy another kinda of wallpaper.
mirror light? picture hanging. any specific suggestions on this or please show me a picture maybe to inspire. THANKS A LOT

I dont know why I could not attach pictures here but here its the wallpaper i bought for another project trying to use it here for my "modern' bath
Norwall Elegant Damask Floral Style Reflective Wallpaper 699 | eBay
This would not be my first choice for a bathroom that has stark white bath surround. Presumably you have also white floors, and perhaps white tile around the sink? Big contrast.

What color are the walls around the bath. When you open the door to the bath, what color would blend with those, and is it a color you love?

If you are set on wallpaper, I recommend finding a local paint store, and paging through wallpaper books. You'll be amazed at the variety. Set aside some time, and look hard before deciding on something from a thumbnail online. You are going to be investing lots of hours in this project. Take your time deciding what you are going to do.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:53 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't see how damask can translate into modern at all.... it says grandma's house to me.
That's exactly my first thought - someone's grannying it up!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Find a light fixture with clean lines, find modern art work that you like, and find modern fixtures like the towel holder, etc. Damask is not modern, but you can incorporate modern into the room.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
it definitely can be blended into a modern setting, but the specific pattern they have is a tough one to work with.

They can definitely contemporize it a little though,

Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawongme View Post
This wallpaper is not exactly modern. Its not looking bad but definitely not modern. How can I pull of a modern/chic look with it if I dont want to buy another kinda of wallpaper.

Norwall Elegant Damask Floral Style Reflective Wallpaper 699 | eBay

I found this for you - it's a start at least. Modern is not my personal preference - but this is the opportunity for you to follow your heart and fix it up to suit your own preferences. Have fun with it!! Here's a link: Jane Lockhart Kylemore Custom Home - traditional - powder room - toronto - by Jane Lockhart Interior Design

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
SXMGirl is right, you can work with this wallpaper and CFoulke has a great solution in that link.

I just saw the other post about your bathroom. The link shows a very good solution for your bathroom. Just be sure to have the shower curtain attached very securely with all the activity a young family like yours will give it. Maybe attache a stylish side hook to get it out of the way for bath time.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
In fact on Houze site I put in Damask modern bathroom and came up with a lot of samples. So go to it. Granted the patterns are lot more muted than your red and cream sample but it can be done.

Damask Modern Bathroom Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

51,020 damask modern bathroom Home Design Photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating