Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Sure tile would be great, I guess. I think I'd want a rug down, but I suppose you could tile a bedroom.

You could also put down vinyl or Marmoleum, but it isn't generally done. That doesn't mean you can't do it if you want to though.

OP is on a budget. How does wood look tile compare in cost to a good carpet?
As I mentioned, we bought some of our tile for $5/sq ft, and some other for $12/sq ft (we bought the more expensive for where we needed an exact product match to what the home already installed). I'm not sure what good carpet costs these days.

It's not unusual in some parts of the country to have tile in a bedroom. And hardwood in bedrooms has been common anywhere I've lived. This tile looks so real that everyone assumes it is wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
If laminate hasn't held up in the past then you know the answer to your question. Go with a softer material like Hardwood, or engineered hardwood that you can refinish after you abuse it.
This...100%

Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We recently put hardwoods down in our bedroom and we love it, love it, love it. Oh, and since we still wanted a rug around the bed, and didn't want to shell out $1000 or more for a large area rug, we picked out carpet from a flooring store that was a very subtle design and we had it bound around the edges. Voila - an 8 x 11 carpet, excellent quality, for only about $500 (we found out that it's very inexpensive to have a piece of carpet bound - and you can get it cut to exactly the size/width you want).

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Ugh, this flooring thing is driving me nuts. We have two bedrooms upstairs. I'm wondering if the flooring should be the same throughout? So, if we go with laminate, should it be the same color in both rooms? Is it OK to put carpet in one and laminate in the other? Decisions, decisions....

Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
We have 5 bedrooms and not all of them have the same kind of flooring. The master has parquet flooring. Two bedrooms have carpet, and two have vinyl. Soon I will be removing the carpet from the rooms that have it and replacing it with something else, probably laminate

Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 AM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
Personally would go with something not too slick, for safety while shuffling across the surface in your socks while bleary and half-awake. Hey, we want to keep enjoying your posts here, not have you land in the hospital!

But seriously would suggest something with some form of grip to it, if not a dulled surface, something not all out slippery - thought someone should mention it.

Many tiles are a bit bumpy for my sensitive toes - have already had several toe operations and prefer to avoid another.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
It seems that everyone is bringing to my attention that laminate floors on the second floor aren't a good idea. The reason being is because they say it makes too much noise when people walk on it no matter what type of underlayment you use. I'm back to square one now.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Laminate that is installed properly with a quality underlayment material shouldn't make any noise.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,982 times
Quote:
We need to replace the flooring in 2 bedrooms upstairs. I prefer not to use carpet. What is the most durable and economical way? We thought laminate but have had that in the past and it didn't hold up that well. It was in high traffic areas though. (living, dining and kitchen areas)
Quote:
It seems that everyone is bringing to my attention that laminate floors on the second floor aren't a good idea
Quote:
Laminate that is installed properly with a quality underlayment material shouldn't make any noise.
Laminate should be fine, even in the bedrooms. As with any other materials, the devil is in details, such as..
- Buy good quality material. Costco has some great laminate for reasonable $$. Otherwise, you can buy good laminate for under $2 per foot.

- Installation matters. Greatly. With laminate, you can DIY, and still get excellent results. You will have to take your time, do some research (youtube is your friend), but with the cost of professional installation that may go as far as $5 per foot, it is still worth it. Your installation will be much slower than the pros, but the end result may be as good.

- Area rugs may eliminate the laminate problems mentioned above. You can place them in strategic places to dampen the noise, prevent slipping and add nice accents to the selected areas.

- Last but not least, cost matters. Otherwise, we all would be living in log houses, overlooking the lake, with oak floors covered by (artificial, of course) bear skins, and warmed up by stone fireplaces. For 99% of the population the above is an utopia, and we make do with our limited means.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 AM

252 posts, read 580,777 times
I would prefer caesar stone flooring, As caesarstone is strong, tought and indestructible after granite.
I have booked caesarstone tiles for my bedroom flooring. The main reason i liked caesarstone is because of its light colored designs and the mixing of the quartz material which makes it strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating