Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:30 PM

4,170 posts, read 6,861,011 times

Advertisements

So, my previous thread about our DIY Built-Ins went over pretty well here so I figured I'd start another one.

As a hobby, I run a blog where I post my musings on my passion for design and architecture as well as our house projects mod cut But, on this particular forum, it's been fun to see other people post makeovers to their personal spaces so I figured I'd post some of our projects in our house as we work on them like others have done. Hopefully at least a few people will find them enjoyable.

This is our bonus room on move-in-day 3 years ago:

This big, open space on the 2nd level was something we liked about the house. Unfortunately, with all the other rooms in the house being worked on, this room hasn't been touched much up until now. We painted the walls a moody grey - but that ultimately backfired as it just made the space feel smaller and it accentuated the multiple ceiling heights in the space in a bad way. Additionally, this room became the repository for furniture on its way out the door: All the furniture we still owned that I used in college or picked up for my first apartment was in this room until we figured out what we wanted to do with it. Naturally, it wasn't a pretty site:

As we started planning out the new space, we put together a "mood board" using Olioboard's website. We haven't done this in any other room in the house yet, but it was fun to approach this room a little differently and try something new. Like a lot of rooms in our house, we are going for something that feels modern yet eclectic - pulled together but not any super-specific color scheme or combination.

We slowly started picking up items for the space (based on our mood board) this summer and are now able to start utilizing them in the space. This weekend, we re-painted 2 of the walls to the color we decided on: Benjamin Moore's Edgecomb Grey and we also moved in the vintage credenza that will serve as the media center.

It will probably be a bit before we really get to a point to post many more pictures. But for now at least, here's a picture of the new wall color, the wall-mounted TV (with cords neatly hidden), and the vintage buffet.

Hope you all enjoy and maybe a few of you will check back in as I post updates this fall. We are in the middle of several house projects so I don't have a more specific time frame for this one to get done at the moment.

Last edited by golfgal; 10-07-2013 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: links to private blogs not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,458,744 times
I love that buffet, and I love Olioboard! Can't wait to see the progression!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love that buffet, and I love Olioboard! Can't wait to see the progression!
thanks!

Also, I didn't realize I couldn't post a link to my site here. Whoops! Post and learn I suppose

Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,760,447 times
Sideboard looks very retro to me, I like it! Have fun!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Glad you like it . We have been trying to mix in mid-century modern elements with some more contemporary elements throughout our entire house. We want the retro elements without the entire house looking like it is trying to be MCM. If we had a true mid-century ranch we would go all out, but in our suburban home we are blending some more transitional elements with MCM so that it feels a bit more "cohesive" with the surrounding architecture.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,241,816 times
How did you hide the electrical cords? I love the old stool in the Charles Eames type design.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Nothing too fancy was needed luckily. It was an interior wall (no insulation to compete with) on the 2nd floor (no real piping or electrical in that area to compete with) so it lent itself well for an easy solution.

I used a boring attachment on my drill and cut a hole right behind where the wires come out on the back of the TV and then cut another one behind the stand. I also had to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet and in the back of the drawer we placed the items in. There was also a 120V receptacle right behind the cabinet so I ran a power strip into the same drawer utilizing those same holes. It all came out very neat and tidy with wires fished between those holes.

I do intend to come back and cut extra holes or a slit in the back of the cabinet for ventilation but it hasn't seemed warm in there so far at all. We only have a blu-ray player and a roku in there however so it may not ever get too bad.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM

10,032 posts, read 17,970,506 times
I love before-and-after threads like these.

I am curious, though, why hang the TV on the wall instead of just setting it on its stand on top of the buffet? Seems like a lot of extra work (and cutting holes in the wall!) for what benefit?

(I love that buffet btw!)

Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I love before-and-after threads like these.

I am curious, though, why hang the TV on the wall instead of just setting it on its stand on top of the buffet? Seems like a lot of extra work (and cutting holes in the wall!) for what benefit?

(I love that buffet btw!)

Glad you like the buffet

A few different reasons. First, you'll see in the before picture that we had a tiny stand and the TV height on that stand was just way too low - so it was already mounted from when we first put a TV up there a couple years ago. Second, all of the TVs in our house are wall-mounted, because we get to put the TV at the exact height we want in each room (based on the layout, furniture etc.), regardless of what height buffet or console table or media center solution we go with. Third, it just integrates really well with our design style (modern and almost minimal at times) and looks very "clean" to me.

Sometime this week I will post a picture of the coffee table we plan to use, after we refinished the top this past week. It was a vintage mid-century find in good shape except for a stained and scuffed up top. A little sanding and some Danish oil really livened it back up and I can't wait to share a quick picture I took.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,369 times
I am liking the way the changes will take place. They are very nice. I like the way you have thought about everything. A nice work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating