U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you put a ceiling fan in your kitchen?
yes 31 56.36%
no 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the kitchen. Tallolla gives a good example of how it could work well. Sounds like it would work better further away from the cooking area and more towards a breakfast nook, dining area, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Years ago I had a kitchen ceiling fan and a gas cook top. I don't remember any probs with the gas, but I suppose it might be a prob if the fan is installed directly over the stove.

If you feel you need a ceiling fan, then install one. But I don't consider ceiling fans to be a decorative statement now. We had a great one in our bedroom, and we used it practically every night. But if you don't strictly speaking need what it does, then I wouldn't recommend installing one.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not. But I also don't like them in any room.
All that said... an oscillating table top fan on top of the frig can be nice.
Ceiling fans can reduce heating and cooling bills fairly dramatically by circulating air and increasing effeciency. Most people I know run their ceiling fans 24/7 all year. We change the air direction of the fans (up or down) wiith the seasons. We do not have ceiling fans in the formal rooms or kitchen.

In So. California we had ceiling fans in the bedrooms and did not run them all the time but we had our windows and French doors open quite a bit, lived near the beach and did not have air conditioning. This is not the case in the upper south where we live now. We can have extremes of temperature and there are dramatically more bugs. Houses tend to be large here and ceiling fans really help move the air.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:44 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,385,933 times
My current house came with 6 ceiling fans. Wa-hoo! In the kitchen, it really helps to cool me off while I'm cooking or cleaning up.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
No, but my parents had one over the table (other side of the range) and it was never greasy or anything. In fact, it was nice during the summer months, but I don't like the look.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,101,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Ceiling fans can reduce heating and cooling bills fairly dramatically by circulating air and increasing effeciency. Most people I know run their ceiling fans 24/7 all year. We change the air direction of the fans (up or down) wiith the seasons. We do not have ceiling fans in the formal rooms or kitchen.

In So. California we had ceiling fans in the bedrooms and did not run them all the time but we had our windows and French doors open quite a bit, lived near the beach and did not have air conditioning. This is not the case in the upper south where we live now. We can have extremes of temperature and there are dramatically more bugs. Houses tend to be large here and ceiling fans really help move the air.
Agree. Ceiling fans are awesome. Ceiling fan lights, not so much.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,194,982 times
I have one now. 10 foot ceilings in my kitchen. Doesn't affect the gas flame at all and it is fairly close to the range.

It doesn't get any dirtier than the other ceiling fans I have. They all get dirty. So once a month they all get cleaned.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Agree. Ceiling fans are awesome. Ceiling fan lights, not so much.
I am with you on this...no ceiling lights please.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 AM

15,226 posts, read 23,743,496 times
I have a ceiling fan only in my kitchen, luckily my kitchen is fairly big so it is in the center of the room. But like everyone stated, once you turn the stove on, you have to shut it, as it blows the flame. But it is good for when the oven is on, it moves the air around.

As far as dirt, if you keep up with wiping it, it will not get to bad. I can say, I honestly wipe it maybe every 2 months, or when I look up at it and say, yuck....a ceiling fan isn't really on the top of my priority list.

I do like it though because after cooking and after eating, I can turn it on high, open the window and the cooking smell is gone. I like it for when I mop the floor, it dries it fast.

I wouldnt not like it if it was over my kitchen table though, that would be annoying.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 29,507 times
No. It will harmful if you use all time in kitchen..It will require that time when you want to clean your kitchen..Don't use ceiling fan in the kitchen all time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating