Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,803,223 times

Advertisements

I know this is a rough group , LOL, but I am curious about what you would do to update this 1980's style fireplace. It has been converted to gas logs which we really like as it is cleaner than taking ashes out of the ash dump from behind. Also, because of the gas logs, we are required by code to leave damper open so the glass screen is very important. Also, keeps heat and A/C from going up the chimney. Most everything there is under negotiation, including MIL painting of a Ft. Worth church with bluebonnets. Also the statue of J.S. Bach brought back from Germany. I am hesitant to paint it but consider any suggestions. Other mantle?Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace update, suggestions??-fireplace-001.jpg   Fireplace update, suggestions??-fireplace-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,916,010 times
Going a very inexpensive fix route since you don't wish to paint, I think all you need to do is introduce some color to both the mantle and the brick base. I think the picture has to go to another location however and your need a more colorful one to replace it. It's hard to see the other colors in the room but I would add some reds or oranges or yellows or whites to pop the whole scene. I would also add height to the mantle with some tall pieces like a vase or statues.

If you were up for replacement that is another story.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:00 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,773,369 times
Maybe a granite/marble mantel shelf with a matching slab down below on the hearth on top of the brick?

If you really don't want to paint, maybe some nice tongue and groove paneling on those archways? Or woodwork of some other type?

I agree with the previous poster that it needs some warmth and also in regards to the colors suggested. Best of luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks for these suggestions. What about getting rid of the antique brass screen and tools and replace with polished brass? Tools aren't used anyway. How about just having the brick to the mantle and then wallboard textured above the mantle? The fireplace is in the center of a big area ( 28' by 28') and therefore anchors one sitting area. Do you think painting a light color would be the best thing to liven it up? I am not totally opposed to it, but wife is. LOL I don't mind spending money to do it RIGHT. Just don't want to make mistakes. Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
The "hard part" is the tile floor-

Most fireplaces I've seen, in a room that had tile floors, were done in stack stone (open stack). Usually floor-to-ceiling- unless there's a basement/floor below. And the mantel shelf has been either a rough-cut timber slab, or a stone slab.

You can make the glass doors "disappear" by using a black frame- instead of antique or polished brass.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,143,242 times
I, too, think a darker frame frame on the glass doors would be better, either black or dark bronze.

I really don't like that mantel. It just doesn't seem to "fit" as it's very traditional in a home that seems more contemporary and sort of "tropical/casual" (ie, tile floor and chairs/cushions/plants in the other room). I'm not sure what would work better but that mantel doesn't.

There also seems to be too much space between the doors and the mantel and not enough space above the mantel. The doors are long and low whereas the space created by the mantel, firebox, and hearth is squarish. If the mantel could be lowered a bit (which may not be possible because of building codes or your own taste), it would give you more of a horizontal feel to the fireplace, and give you room to put a taller and wider painting/art work above the mantel.

Finally, I would agree that you need a different picture/artwork over the mantel, preferably brighter and bolder. I think you might consider something longer to fill that wide space better.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,186,296 times
On second thought..

I would cover all of the brick with some classic wood paneling, painted white. This will open up the room and seems to go more with the light and semi tropical room in the background.

Sand down the outdated brass and paint it with a heat resistant, matte, black finish.

The bottom brick platform can either be recovered with an updated hard surface, or paint the bricks stark white to match the wood surround.

Here is an example of the white wainscoting around a fireplace:

Last edited by L0ve; 10-28-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,545,494 times
Paint the fireplace surround with this stuff. My fireplace insert face is painted with metallic brown...which looks like pewter when the sun isn't on it, and somewhat copperish when it is.

Remove all brick. Replace with stone or tile below mantle, painted drywall above. Do you want a hearth? Consider cutting hearth edges at 45 degree angle or curving the edges so they're not a 90 degree angle "shin finder".

Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks, guys! I agree, the mantle has never looked "right"; however the seating area that faces it is traditional type furniture (Ethan Allen cherry, mahogany tables with club chairs. There are also two big grand pianos that are on the far walls one one the left of pic, one on the right of pic). The "doors" you see through the openings used to be sliding glass doors so the fireplace divides a sort of more formal area with a sunroom or Arizona room with wicker, rataan and light wood tables on the other side of the fireplace. The sunroom used to be an enclosed patio. I had thought about tearing the brick out and using woodwork. I wish it didn't have a hearth; I like the pic above without the hearth. The 45 degree is an interesting idea as well. I appreciate your ideas. :-)

Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,545,494 times
Here's mine. I didn't save any "before" pictures but it was a similar looking brick to yours which went from the floor up to about 6 ft, a brick hearth which went about 4 feet out either direction of the center alcove (you guessed it, all covered in that same brick) which held a free standing, black, woodburning stove with a pheasant on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating