Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:44 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

I always lived in urban neighborhoods where trick or treating was a big deal. When I lived in Pittsburgh I usually had at least 200 kids at my door. Now that I am in suburbia, I still have trick or treaters, just not as many. In both places people sometimes decorate their homes.

But I've encountered something weird about that in Arizona. Some families go all out decorating the outside of their homes for Halloween. Orange lights all over the house, things hanging from the trees, fake cobwebs all over the front porch, etc. Far beyond the traditional jack o' lantern. Fine, it's kind of cool to have extra lights on when it's dark so early these fall days.

What is weird to me is that quite a few of them light up and look festive for a couple of weeks before Halloween, but on the actual night of, they turn off all the lights, lock the door, and don't hand out any candy to trick or treaters. Is this common in all suburbs or is my development unusual? I never knew it to happen in Pennsylvania.

I could think perhaps some of them imagine trick or treating to be dangerous, so they have a private party for their kids to discourage them from walking around the neighborhood. But does that have to mean not giving out treats to kids who aren't invited? And I know two of these extreme decorators on my street don't even HAVE children. So what's the deal with making your house look like Halloween Central, then stiffing the kids who want a treat? How could they say the candy is too expensive when they've just shelled out extra money to the power company?

I loved trick or treating as a kid. We always made elaborate costumes and it was fun to go around the neighborhood and show them off. I try to repay that by being generous to those who now come to my door. But I feel like these other folks are almost taunting them. "Look how much I love Halloween, just don't expect me to include you kids."

Is this common elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What is weird to me is that quite a few of them light up and look festive for a couple of weeks before Halloween, but on the actual night of, they turn off all the lights, lock the door, and don't hand out any candy to trick or treaters. Is this common in all suburbs or is my development unusual? I never knew it to happen in Pennsylvania.
That's really weird, but I'm a Pittsburgh so I'd agree with you naturally. I've never seen people make a big deal about Halloween and then hide and not give out candy to trick-or-treaters. Maybe what you are describing is the result of overenthusiastic parents making their houses festive for their own children and closing up the house to their children trick-or-treating instead of having one spouse stay home to give out candy.

I never decorate the house. We just have a pumpkin and a big festive "Halloween bowl." That's it. Either my husband or I will sit outside at the street waiting for the children (since we have dogs that bark all night in the house). I noticed the new neighbors down the street have their house lit up with orange lights. It will be interesting if they give out candy or close up the house so both parents can make the rounds with their own child instead.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
We are childless for reasons unknown, but even now as retirees we decorate for Halloween, and give out either pretzels or cookies in store purchased prepackages. ( on the theory that a cookie or pretzel is better than candy) We are aware that many people don´t like to be bothered by the doorbell ringing but we enjoy the creativity and enjoy the kids expressions. Our new community is mainly retirees but there are a few young families who sent a flyer out this week for people to put up on the door if they wish to be visited by the trick or treaters. We look forward to it.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM

335 posts, read 619,897 times
Wow, that is so weird. You would think that a house decked out so much would be the one giving out the best treats!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
When we decorate - we go all out. And we give out candy (generously!).

When we don't decorate (this year). We do ABSOLUTELY nothing, and then we don't hand out candy (hide with the lights off).

I would feel bad decorating and then not giving out candy.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I asked a friend who lives in a different state than I do... she said that the homeowners are probably away at a fabulous party.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Here in De. there seems to be a "practice" (used loosely) but apparently one that is embraced by many towns and villages. The predetermine hours that you can trick or treat and then post them much like school closings for weather related reasons on the news stations. Here it is between 6:30 and 8:00 pm. I don't think there are repercussions for not adhering to the posted hours but it is different from my home on Long Island, where a non school day it could start as early as noon and continue to 8 or 9 pm.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Here in De. there seems to be a "practice" (used loosely) but apparently one that is embraced by many towns and villages. The predetermine hours that you can trick or treat and then post them much like school closings for weather related reasons on the news stations. Here it is between 6:30 and 8:00 pm. I don't think there are repercussions for not adhering to the posted hours but it is different from my home on Long Island, where a non school day it could start as early as noon and continue to 8 or 9 pm.
That is also the policy here in SW Ohio, which I'd never heard of before in MI. Each town sets its own time (and day!) for trick or treating. They may say "this year trick or treat is Oct 28th". Which is bizarre to me.
They will often cancel or move Halloween in respose to inclement weather.

Crazy. We trick-or-treated in snow as kids. And we stayed out until the last house light within our target range was extinguished.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
When I lived in MI I enjoyed Halloween so much more than I do now that I live in Indiana. I never knew anyone to deck out their house and then not give out candy. How dumb. I remember as a kid leaving around 5 and coming back around 9 pm. Fill the pillowcase to the brim was the goal. Where I live now, it is a set time. 5 pm to 7 pm. By the time it starts to get dark, its over with. No use lighting pumpkins IMO. We get a good stream of kids but its over in a flash. Some of the surrounding cities move halloween to a different day when weather is an issue, which I think is lame. Sure it sucks to be out in the rain but being a warrior is part of the fun.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM

335 posts, read 619,897 times
We had 5 kids last night. 2 pre-teen, 3 teen. Now, we are new to the area, and one of our neighbors said that we don't get many trick or treaters because we live on a single-loaded street that's in the back of the community. My husband said that when he came home from work, there were tons of cars at the guest guard gate waiting to get in - he figured there were lots of parties going on.

I guess the norm lately has been to trick or treat at the malls, or go to a friend's party. Which is sad. I remember growing up in NJ, coming home from school and going out in the afternoon, way before dark. We actually had to be back home before it got too dark out. I was so surprised when we lived in FL, nobody came until AFTER it got dark out! A lot of my Facebook friends have said that they barely got any trick or treaters last night.

I wish there would be some sort of formal announcement or something from the community saying not to bother anymore - so that I don't have to buy candy next year. You know I"m going to go through that bag of candy by next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating